Guest viewing is limited

THR Doing it on your own?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a cunning plan that I will run across the forum before I do anything about it.

This issue of leaving patients with only a telephone helpline might work well for the hospital, but for me it was not enough as I missed the direct contact with others. So, I'm intending to write to the hospital to suggest that they support an informal "drop in centre" where one could go, have a cup of tea or coffee and talk to others in the same boat. In effect, this web site with live people.

The centre only needs a single room and be open for a couple of hours on the same day each week. It would be nice if a specialist nurse could attend, either during the full opening period , or as required. I would certainly have been a regular user and would have benefited immensely.

Any thoughts?
 
Hi there Dougb, thank you so much for the links to your plot, I am in awe and you have renewed my excitement for starting my veggie garden when we retire in Sept 2014..yes, sadly I have to wait until then..but as the old saying goes - good things come to those who wait !

I thought you might be interested in the gardening club I belong to here in Australia https://www.diggers.com.au/

I love your saying..
I live by the rule that I can't stop getting old, but I don't have to be old!!!!

I have a big smile in my face picturing my no dig, rotational veggie gardens now.. thank you :)

Just a tip, if you want to "tag" someone in response to their messages to you just type in the @ sign immediately followed by their user name and you'll see a small box below and to the left of the posting area where the members user name will display. Sometimes there might be a very slight pause, but the member user name will appear.

it will show their correct name which you can click on -- then when you submit your post the member's user name/link will turn blue and send a message to them person, like this

Poppet

p.s. love the idea of a live drop in centre - great idea :)
 
Doug, I volunteered for a while at a local hospital. I was stationed in the Heart Lounge, where family/friends wait while someone is having a cardiac procedure of some kind. Mostly I made coffee and escorted people to the patient when the procedure was over. It was boring, and I didn't feel like it was a needed service, so I didn't stay long. I would volunteer in a heartbeat for a joint clinic lounge where pre and post-ops could come and just ask questions and sort out all the information that's confusing. I know they do something of that sort for cancer patients....so there must be a working model out there. Go for it.

Sharon
 
It's been a while since I reported - it's now 10 months since the surgery and things are going well. I've been back to Madeira and I coped with the hilly and cobblestone streets well, whereas in June 2012, pre op, I had to use a stick and hobbled about - I was delighted with the way things went. To cap it all I did some Levada walking with Margaret, no stick, no problems, 8 miles on the Levada dos Tornos. Highly chuffed.

I'm at the stage now where the improvements have become gradual and therefore less of an event and the little niggles I get could be due as much to age as to the surgery. I'm able to do most things now but I am careful with lifting and working too long. Two to three hour blocks seem to be ideal, any more and my thigh muscles in each leg tire. Bungy jumping is out.

The allotment is producing a much better crop than last year and I'm dealing with it much better than I thought I would. I take thing steady and have bought a Ryobi petrol strimmer that has a stack of attachments, including one for digging and that make life so much easier. I've got it planned out for next year and I'm in the process of redesigning it to make weeding less of a problem.

Still looking after the dog, he's great at digging, but not where I want it done. He's 14 months old now, weighs 32kg, a big lad, but getting a touch more sensible. I'd really miss him now. We watch the cricket on the TV together and I find myself discussing issues with him. He struggles with the LBW decisions.

As I indicated earlier thing seem fine with the hip, I do my exercises and swim every day, plus I have got my pain relief down to two Paracetamol at bedtime. The muscles in both thighs still get a little sore and I ease that with Votarol Gel, again the use of that is reducing. All in all I pleased with the outcome.

Next hurdle, the annual check by Mr Mitchell on the 22nd November. Take care everyone and I'll keep you posted.

Doug

PS - I have made an error somewhere along the line and posted this piece last night under the name Alhambra. I'll go in and see if I can remove it. It's my age you know!!!
 
Thanks for the report, Doug. I deleted the post by Alhambra for you. Now you can continue with your original thread and username.

It sounds like your recovery is coming along just fine. You're really very active and I'm certain that's giving you a little extra pain sometimes. It will be interesting to see what your surgeon has to say. Please stay in touch!!!
 
Another milestone reached. My physio advised that my hip joint is fine and that it is now time to build up the muscle structure. He prepared a letter for my trainer at the health centre that I attend specifying my requirements. Ann, the trainer prepared a progressive programme and I started on Tuesday last. Wednesday I was sore and could hardly bend, but today, Friday, I'm feeling well, although my lower back aches a bit. I'm continuing religiously with the exercises set by the hospital and with the swimming.

The programme is designed with a slow start and will build up time-wise as I progress, at the moment it's three minutes on a reclining bike, ten dips with my back on a big ball against a wall, then three more minutes on the bike. Some ten rotations of each leg in a standing position is followed by a session on an elliptical trainer to a maximum of five minutes - currently I manage four.

What pleases me is that I can see some progress, whereas the past few weeks I was following a routine and nothing seemed to be happening. Happy, well, happyish camper again!!
 
Well it's a year today and I'm feeling fine. The work in the gym is having a positive effect, but it did hurt at the outset. Very pleased
 
Congratulations, Doug! Doesn't it it feels great to be a year older?
 
Well, today is the day where I ceased to be a patient - I had my 12 month check at the hospital and they are really pleased with the outcome and with the way that I dealt with it. I did mention that I had been uncomfortable with go it alone policy and I praised the help that I had had from you. You may be getting a host of new members from Harrogate as the practitioner nurse asked for your web address. Sorry!!!!

The work in the gym is getting easier, although the muscles in both thighs get sore, but less so now. Ann, the trainer, will increase the work progressively so I'm steeling myself for some more discomfort. It will be worth it.

I can walk as far as I could before, I don't limp, can do everything that I need to be able to do, including the allotment, and things will only improve as I strengthen the muscles. I have the same movement range in the operated leg as the other, but as yet can't use it due to the muscle weakness.

What pleased me today was when I was being escorted to the consulting room by the reception nurse she asked me what the consultation was about, then commented that she wouldn't have known if I hadn't told her.

So, hopefully the end of a chapter. I will continue to visit the site and offer any useful advice, but primarily I want to thank everyone who has contributed and helped me through what has been, at times, a traumatic year.

Thank you all.

PS. Next job - to book a week in Madeira for next spring - more levadas and Black Scabbard fish with banana.
 
Don't EVER apologize for promoting BoneSmart!!! That's why we're here...to help anyone who needs it with their hip or knee issues. We appreciate you passing on our link to your medical team and hope they start sending patients here.

I'm thrilled to read your wonderful update. This is what it's all about and we do love the success stories. Thanks for posting and know that we will always welcome a post from you to tell us what you've been up to. You'll always be a BoneSmartie!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom