Bilateral TKR Doing beautifully 4.5 months out, then….

@KateLynn , I use ibuprofen but I'm nearly a year out from my last surgery. You are at about six weeks so you might want to get clearance from your doctor before taking any NSAIDs.

115/116 is really very good for six weeks - you should be very optimistic. All you need to do is heal, without worrying about gaining flexion. I'm still stuck at 90-95.

You probably are doing too much rather than too little, at this point. Maybe try some easy flexion work like an exercise bike at zero resistance rather than strength building exercises.

terrified I’m not doing enough.
If exercise causes pain, then you are doing TOO much. It's your body yelling "stop!" Please don't push through pain! It won't speed your recovery, in fact, it's more likely to set you back.

You are only six weeks into a year-long recovery. Your flexion is great. Most of us are happy if we can get past a 90-degree bend at that stage.

Regarding ibuprofen: yes, it's okay to take as long as you aren't on any other NSAIDs (aspirin, naproxen, etc.) or on blood thinners.

If you are, try the BoneSmart recommended Tylenol regimen of 1000 mg (2 extra strength tabs) four times a day (every six hours). Just be sure there is no acetaminophen in any of your other medications since 4000 mg is the maximum allowable daily dose.

I find naproxen helpful but you need to take a stomach protector like omeprazole as well. I stopped naproxen around 10 weeks but have restarted it for my lower back arthritis.
Like all antinflammatories it needs a few days to work. I take an omeprazole as soon as I wake and then naproxen later with food.
I didn't find regular ibuprofen much use- although the long acting 12 hour version did produce some benefits I think.

Almost 6 weeks post. Flexion is at 115 and 116 but I feel after exercise like the upper part of my leg stiffens up. Trying to do as well as I can and terrified I’m not doing enough. I might be reaching that panic and for no reason depressive stage. I’m not taking any pain medicine but really just want to take ibuprofen, but I have seen that no one recommends ibuprofen. Any experience on that or opinions? I feel like I need more anti-inflammatory than pain medicine but the meloxicam made me so sick. I don’t know what to do. I couldn’t wait to get 30 days out to stop taking it.
Hi KateLynn, You are doing fantastic. The Flexion is amazing for 6 weeks. Please don't panic. It is easy to get depressed but just remember every day you are closer to healing. The main thing is not to over-do it. Do your exercises and walking around the house are all good things. Try not to be too hard on yourself right now. They call them baby knees for a reason. We have to crawl before we can walk. :) Don't set too high of expectations for yourself. Do things that make you happy. Have your friends/family come over to visit. You want to do some things that make you happy without hurting yourself. I think this journey of recovery is not just about the physical part but the mental as well. (Trust me, I need to remember that myself) As far as pain medicine, my doctor still has me on meloxicam. He says that my inflammatory system is fighting what has happened to me and he thinks it is impeding my recovery. My extension is not great. One leg is still at a 2 and the other is at 4. If I wasn't taking that, I would be taking my Advil dual action. It helped me so much prior to surgery. If you ever want to chat, feel free to DM me! :) Hang in there!!! It will get better!!!

I'm at about three months and my quad stiffens up when I exercise. I also have a few aches and pains here and there, along with a tightness on the right/outer side of knee. However, my range of motion is good, the knee joint itself is painless and I've gotten back to doing everything I did before surgery (although a bit less aggressively).

It sounds like you're doing just fine. Up until the last couple of weeks I was obsessing about everything I thought was going too slow. It's taken a while, but I've finally relaxed and am enjoying the good parts of my TKR ... no more grinding in one of my knees when I move.

Try to relax and enjoy your new knee. I know that's easier said than done.

:wave:Happy Two Month Anniversary, KateLynn!
I hope you have a lovely week and a beautiful Spring. :flwrysmile:
Please stay in touch, we enjoy following your progress.
@KateLynn

So, I’m 3 + months into my simultaneous bilateral knee replacements and my primary tells me if I want to lose an additional 20 lbs I should be doing HIIT or SIT training. I called my son who does CrossFit and his response was are you serious? I have two new knees, osteoarthritis in both shoulders, and in my neck and have had spinal surgery cannot lift my arms over my head with any amount of weight or force and without pain. How in the heck am I supposed to do that type of training? Anyone else ever been told this After their surgery

Hello KateLynn,
HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training and SIT - Sprint Interval Training are likely not for you with the issues you described you're dealing with. How about a healthy diet and regular exercise also working on core stability and balance for starters, then go from there.

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. Let us know if you'd like us to change the title of your thread to reflect your current concern and we will edit accordingly.

I am sure others will stop by to share opinions or offer advice on what's worked for them. Whatever you do, start slow and build from there. Good Luck!
@KateLynn

. I called my son who does CrossFit and his response was are you serious? I have two new knees, osteoarthritis in both shoulders, and in my neck and have had spinal surgery
Agree with your son.
Exercise is of limited use for weight loss anyway. I have lost a couple of stone over the years with a sensible eating plan and a Slimming club with weekly weighing for group support.
I use pilates as a sensible gentle exercise plan for strengthen/ stretching.

The other main point is that any number of studies show that exercise is not very effective for weight loss. It is important to do to stay strong and healthy, but for the most part, your appetite simply increases in proportion to the exercise you do. Weight loss almost always is driven by diet unfurtunately. I say unfortunately because I find dieting takes way more discipline than exercising.

As far as HIT and SIT goes, as the other people say, that is crazy. Walking or bicycling at an enjoyable pace is all you need at this point to stay healthy. If you can walk outside with a friend, spouse, or dog in the spring weather then that would be great and good for mental health too.

my primary tells me if I want to lose an additional 20 lbs I should be doing HIIT or SIT training
I have two new knees, osteoarthritis in both shoulders, and in my neck and have had spinal surgery cannot lift my arms over my head with any amount of weight or force and without pain
You're right, of course. Interval training indeed...

You could ride a static bike at home. That will help with knee ROM too.
Exercise is of limited use for weight loss anyway
Correct, IMO. But if you diet and don't exercise, you'll lose muscle mass as well as fat.
I use pilates as a sensible gentle exercise plan for strengthen/ stretching
And there's the balance. KateLynn, IMO you need to both eat well and do some exercise tailored to what you CAN do, not what someone tells you to do without knowing your circumstances.

The other main point is that any number of studies show that exercise is not very effective for weight loss. It is important to do to stay strong and healthy, but for the most part, your appetite simply increases in proportion to the exercise you do. Weight loss almost always is driven by diet unfurtunately. I say unfortunately because I find dieting takes way more discipline than exercising.
Everything you say is IMO true; but it seems to me to have a pessimistic angle to it. So my 2 pence worth:-

I agree exercise is good for you. It also builds muscle, which needs more calories than equivalent weight in fat to maintain so will, long term, help to reduce body fat. That appetite might/will increase is IMO not an argument for not doing exercise (I don't think you meant it that way, excuse me for labouring the point).

Yes, 'going on a diet' requires discipline, because it's unpleasant. And you will lose weight. But as soon as you stop the diet, the weight will return. Far better to change what one eats (I don't use the word diet here, I think it's a loaded word) long term away from all ultra-processed food (or 'food-like substances', as some call them) to healthy, natural eating.

Hi @KateLynn. I can't imagine how you could tackle that kind of program with your joint issues.

For what it's worth, I've lost 15 pounds since my TKR (which was about 20 months ago) just by making some dietary changes and by walking. My primary was very unhappy with my LDL cholesterol number when she did my pre-op physical and threatened to put me on a statin if I didn't get it down.

So, as I recovered, I started taking a daily walk, gradually increasing the distance; then adding a second walk each day. Simultaneously, I shifted us to a more plant-forward meal plan. We're not strict vegetarians by any means, but we started eating a lot more fruits, vegetables, beans and nuts and a lot less meat and processed food. It happened slowing over the course of a year, but my weight dropped -- and so did my LDL number.

As Roy said, a combination of diet modification and exercise can really make a difference!

I lost 30 lbs before surgery and 20 more since. I need to lose 20 more to hit my goal weight for the first time and three decades I think I’ve just plateaued and I am using a recumbent bike and walking as well as continuing to eat a healthy and diverse diet. I’ve never had a problem with sugar or excessive carbs, I just don’t tend to eat them. I guess I just need to push through this plateau. Thanks for all the tips and pointers. I just couldn’t imagine doing that type of exercise.

Happy Four Month Anniversary! Congrats on the weight loss.
Best Wishes as you continue your healing and weight loss journey! :SUNsmile:
@KateLynn

So I’ve been told I had a really remarkable recovery from simultaneous bilateral TKR. Went to bed last evening feeling perfectly fine and woke up at 1 AM with searing pain in my left knee. It’s very swollen and could barely walk on it. I can walk on it now a bit better, but there’s pain radiating into my upper thigh/groin area. Anybody had a similar experience? I don’t know how I could be fine going to bed and wake up like this.

It is great news that you’ve had such a wonderful recovery as a BRAVE bilateral!

I am sorry you’re experiencing pain currently. Wondering if it could be related to any new or excess activity you were involved in yesterday? Or, could you possibly have turned awkwardly in your sleep? I would advise ice and elevation along with some OTC pain meds today and if it’s still bothering you tomorrow, consider calling your surgeon’s office to speak with a member of his / her care team, allowing them to decide whether you should make an appointment.
I wish you comfort and speedy relief. :console2:

Please notice that we have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. Having your recovery information contained in one place will make it easier for you to reflect back on. It is also helpful for those stopping by to be able to review your history before advising or commenting.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.

If you’d like us to change your thread title to reflect your current concern, please let us know and we will edit accordingly.
@KateLynn

I changed the thread title for you.
Since you’re still in recovery, because complete healing can take a full year, or even longer for some, it seems it doesn’t take much to throw us off kilter. Hopefully it all eases with a day of rest. :fingersx:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dxross
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom