THR Does PT and exercise help Hip Bursitis after RTHR? So frustrated.

speerbiz

Country
United States United States
I am 6 months TRHR. I had 12 weeks of PT after surgery in January. I also have been walking 3-4 times a week. Not long after surgery I developed lateral hip pain, like sitting on a rock pain. In the last 2 months my bursitis has worsened. In those 2 months my surgeon put me on 6 more weeks of PT. :( I am not improving. I saw my surgeon last week for 6 month check and told him I have continued bursitis pain. He gave me a packet of home exercises to do for 6 weeks. He didn't want to do an injection due to infection risk. If that doesnt work than another 6 weeks of supervised PT. I still take a Tramadol at night for pain so I can get comfortable to sleep. I am not motivated at all to do the home exercises. I am sick and tired of any PT BC I dont think its working. I am depressed that I dont feel like a 'new' person with my new hip. Fighting this has got me down. Does/will the home exercises and/or PT help? Because they haven't helped so far. I am at the end of my rope, I am tired. I still walk 3 times a week, slowly, for about 10-15 min each time. Even that aggravates my bursitis. Anyone else going thru this?

Your question is timely for me I'm scheduled for TLHR Aug 16. I also believe I may have had longstanding bursitis in my left hip that hasnt been addressed . I was going to get an injection into bursa but took TLHR instead. I'm concerned that I'll still have bursitis pain even after TLHR. Hope you find a way of getting relief.

Your question is timely for me I'm scheduled for TLHR Aug 16. I also believe I may have had longstanding bursitis in my left hip that hasnt been addressed . I was going to get an injection into bursa but took TLHR instead. I'm concerned that I'll still have bursitis pain even after TLHR. Hope you find a way of getting relief.
Thank u for encouragement. Best wishes on your upcoming surgery. My right hip needed replaced with the severe arthritis I had and I have had no joint pain since surgery. Now, if I can only conquer this bursitis that wont go away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us. I am so sorry you're experiencing the pain that you described.
I am not motivated at all to do the home exercises. I am sick and tired of any PT BC I dont think its working.
I think you're likely overdoing it. Listen to you gut instinct and go back to the basics like rest, icing and OTC meds temporarily, or whatever your surgeon prescribed. What you're doing is not working and only has you depressed. Try something different for a few weeks and see if you notice an improvement.

Post THR, it is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it.

Please share the exact date of your Right THR so we're able to create a signature for you.

Best wishes for your comfort. I think a change will do you good. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.

I will leave our Recovery Guidelines even though you're six months post op. You may find some interesting info within.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

@speerbiz I think all that exercise is just aggravating the situation. Bursitis is usually caused by too much activity post THR. I would back off all of this and focus on rest for now. Maybe even ice the area.

I also have hip bursitis...I've had both hips replaced, and had it after surgeries. I'm currently dealing with my right hip as it was replaced Jan 2023. I had an injection 2.5 weeks ago, and it didn't help much. I put ice on the outside of my hip every evening, take ibuprofen every 6 hours, and do some light stretches. It's gradually getting better. I do however know I've over done it when I walk alot, or try to increase exercising. I wish you the best in finding something that helps.

Does/will the home exercises and/or PT help? Because they haven't helped so far.
I have no qualifications beyond 2 THR's of my own and a lot of people's posts on here and others I know that have had THR's. My opinion no and they might have caused the problem you have now. Light stretching did much more for me post-op than any exercises.

I am torn because my DR says to do it, my body says no. After only doing those exercises once, I am in so much pain right now. I can't keep up doing them 3 x a week like he prescribed. I know I am getting ahead of myself. But it is likely he will put me into supervised PT at my 6 week recheck if no improvement is seen. I am dreading that. My PT has a no pain no gain mentality. I guess I had unrealistic expectations that I would be pain free without issues after my THR by now.

@speerbiz I think all that exercise is just aggravating the situation. Bursitis is usually caused by too much activity post THR. I would back off all of this and focus on rest for now. Maybe even ice the area.
I have to back off. Pain is pretty bad right now. Why wouldn't Dr just tell me to rest and ice rather than prescribe more exercise if it only aggravates my bursitis? He wont do a steroid shot to calm it down. Would it be a good idea before my 6 week check to let his office know that I will not be doing the exercises until my pain subsides? Thank u for encouragement and letting me vent. Really struggling with this.

I also have hip bursitis...I've had both hips replaced, and had it after surgeries. I'm currently dealing with my right hip as it was replaced Jan 2023. I had an injection 2.5 weeks ago, and it didn't help much. I put ice on the outside of my hip every evening, take ibuprofen every 6 hours, and do some light stretches. It's gradually getting better. I do however know I've over done it when I walk alot, or try to increase exercising. I wish you the best in finding something that helps.
Thanks for encouragement. My Dr refuses to do an injection for fear of joint infection. I think it would help. I have been dealing with this for a couple months and stretching and exercises aren't helping.

What I thought was so weird, is they give you the injection in the lower portion of your rear end. I had to ask why is he putting it there instead of directly in the bursa. He said he was going in from the back portion of the bursa using flouroscope. It was not pleasant, but the procedure didn't last very long. They numb you, so that part was good. It didn't hurt for about 6 hours. I usually get the day after flush on the face, but this time I didn't. I'm wondering if he didn't use enough steroid. Guess I'll keep doing what I'm doing in hopes I'll wake up one day to no pain.
GOOD LUCK.

I was in charge of my recovery, I didn't do so well the first time as I didn't understand how major this procedure was. My OS told me no outside PT but I was pushing doing my own PT and did a lot of overdidits. I got a lot more educated about THR during recovery and reading on this board. With my second THR I basically did nothing. I walked short distances slowly for form and relaxed. Guess which recovery was easier and seemed to work out better in the long run.
Take some time and rest and ice, fake being sick like we did in school make some excuse to just goof off. Obviously doing exercise and PT isn't working try doing nothing and see what happens.

I am torn because my DR says to do it, my body says no
Listen to your body. You’re the one dealing with the pain, no one else.
After only doing those exercises once, I am in so much pain right now. I can't keep up doing them 3 x a week like he prescribed
Then don’t. Why inflict pain upon yourself. I can’t think of one sound reason why you should.
But it is likely he will put me into supervised PT at my 6 week recheck if no improvement is seen.
He is not your boss. He can not force you into any physical therapy if you’re not willing.
I am dreading that. My PT has a no pain no gain mentality.
This person is not in control of you either. Take charge and do what you want to do with your body, not what others tell you to do. You’re the one suffering the negative consequences. Listen to your instinct, not the outside chatter of those that don’t care if what they’re suggesting you to do is causing you pain and anguish.
Just Say NO.

Please provide your exact surgery date, so those stopping by to comment can see at a glance how far along you are.

I am sorry you’re hurting, but what you’re begrudgingly doing is not helping you, so you need to figure something else out.

I am torn because my DR says to do it, my body says no
Listen to your body. You’re the one dealing with the pain, no one else.
After only doing those exercises once, I am in so much pain right now. I can't keep up doing them 3 x a week like he prescribed
Then don’t. Why inflict pain upon yourself. I can’t think of one sound reason why you should.
But it is likely he will put me into supervised PT at my 6 week recheck if no improvement is seen.
He is not your boss. He can not force you into any physical therapy if you’re not willing.
I am dreading that. My PT has a no pain no gain mentality.
This person is not in control of you either. Take charge and do what you want to do with your body, not what others tell you to do. You’re the one suffering the negative consequences. Listen to your instinct, not the outside chatter of those that don’t care if what they’re suggesting you to do is causing you pain and anguish.
Just Say NO.

Please provide your exact surgery date, so those stopping by to comment can see at a glance how far along you are.

I am sorry you’re hurting, but what you’re begrudgingly doing is not helping you, so you need to figure something else out.
You are right, I am not doing myself any favors being in pain and forcing myself to exercise thru the pain. I will hold off exercising and rest and ice. Hopefully my bursitis will clear after some taking it easy time.... Thank u again for letting me vent. I feel more empowered and in control now of my progress and healing.

I was in charge of my recovery, I didn't do so well the first time as I didn't understand how major this procedure was. My OS told me no outside PT but I was pushing doing my own PT and did a lot of overdidits. I got a lot more educated about THR during recovery and reading on this board. With my second THR I basically did nothing. I walked short distances slowly for form and relaxed. Guess which recovery was easier and seemed to work out better in the long run.
Take some time and rest and ice, fake being sick like we did in school make some excuse to just goof off. Obviously doing exercise and PT isn't working try doing nothing and see what happens.
Thank u for encouragement. I am planning on doing nothing for awhile. After reading all the responses I think taking a break to let my body heal is much better advice than my Dr telling me to exercise another 6 weeks.

Any exercise, such as walking, will keep inflaming the bursa. A THR will help or cortisone can help tremendously.

I am sorry that you are having so much trouble with pain from bursitis or tendonitis which ever it may be. I have suffered from the same problem; a quick look at my thread will tell you that. I finally simply stopped doing anything at all including any walking that is not absolutely necessary to function from day to day because PT and exercises were only making my problem get worse. I am still not well but by not moving the joint area any more than I have to I am a bit better. My hope is that after a long rest of the tendons around my hip I can then start a rehabilitation process that will maybe someday get me to a pain free state. I know I will catch a lot of negative abuse for taking this approach but as my tread shows I have exhausted all other remedies at this point and I am just trying to live with my condition.

Golfer67

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom