Does a TKR ever become a "forgotten knee"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leisa, the stiffness after TKR that comes from sitting for a long time usually resolves almost immediately upon standing and taking a few steps which is not true of the stiffness you experience before surgery.
 
Leisa, the stiffness after TKR that comes from sitting for a long time usually resolves almost immediately upon standing and taking a few steps which is not true of the stiffness you experience before surgery.
That's what I thought you meant, just making sure. Thanks! :)
 
Hi Leisa,
No the stiffness I feel now is totally different. Plus it is gone after just a few steps. No pain whatsoever, just a bit of stiffness.
I have never not once felt the pain or discomfort after my surgery that I felt before. :dancy:
 
I think the stiffness is the same for us all but amazingly its not my new knee that stays stiff its the unoperated one and I really feel the pain of the arthritis in my left knee. Its fabulous to think that its only 4 and half weeks since my op and already there is no pain on walking.:dancy: woo hoo !!!
Viv xx
 
Yes! At 14 months post-op (LTKR), I do sometimes forget. My new knee does feel so much like a real part of me now. It feels absolutely natural when sprinting to catch a bus or climbing stairs. I only notice the clicking when I really think about it. All the muscle soreness, tightness, and stiffness is gone. I regret that I did not have my right knee replaced at the same time as the LTKR, but I hope to have it fixed next year!
 
As my operation is now 5 days away, this posting was very much appreciated,Boogaloo.
Thank you for the encouragement.
 
Wow ladyj, time is creeping up fast for you. Just one more weekend and then you have a new knee :dancy: Do you plan to do anything, or just take it easy and relax (I hate that new word 'chillax')?

Kathy
xx
 
Had a super day out yesterday driving around the South Downs, and had a lovely meal in a beautiful pub garden. Today it is cleaning and getting ready for the op, and tomorrow we have friends coming round for a drink.
At the weekend I hope to watch the Olympics and prepare myself mentally.
On Saturday I might take my walker and have a brief walk around Southend High Street. It isn't the most exciting place in the world but it will be my last chance to do it for a while.
Trying to be relaxed about things but it is quite hard.
 
Well at least it sounds as though you'll have plenty to try and take your mind off it. But I can well understand that it will still be hard. Remember we are all here for you and will be with you every step of the way - if not in body, then in spirit (speaking of which, I would be MUCH more relaxed if only they would allow me to have a few whisky and cokes just before surgery :heehee: ).

You WILL be fine and in no time at all you'll be posting from the other side, new knee an all :thumb:

Kathy
xx
 
Ladyj, Great question!:thumb: Last Friday was 7 weeks for my new knees, Mickey & Minnie, and I must say, when they had me stand up and walk for the first time the morning after my surgery it brought happy tears to my eyes!:cry: I could not believe how pain free my new knees felt! Oh, I felt pain, but not in my knees I felt it in my muscles, tendons and ligaments, but not my knees. And of course being a skeptic like I am:skep: I thought, okay these pain meds will wear of and I'll feel that bad old, bone on bone pain that I always felt, after all they can't take all that away so soon, can they?! Well I am happy to say, yes they can!:yes!: Of course I am a newbie to the recovery game and I still have muscle, tendons and ligament pain, however I see a change every day and still no knee pain. I still walk funky, but not because of the knees, but because of the lower back, which will work it's way out when my gait improves.
I don't know if I will ever forget my knee replacements, I don't know if I want to! After all they gave me my life back!:yahoo:

You will be so happy to get your life back as well and I wish you the best 5 days from now! I look forward to read your story and seeing you on the other side! Stay well and stay positive my BoneSmartie friend!:friends:
 
My stiffness stayed with me for about five-five and one half months. I was stiff by the end of the day, but eventually the stiffness subsided. Now---going on five years post-op, I can sit for long periods of time and not get stiff at all. I can remember, though, wondering if the stiffness and the limp would ever decide to take a hike. Now, hiking, cycling, etc---are not problem for me!
 
Yes! At 14 months post-op (LTKR), I do sometimes forget. My new knee does feel so much like a real part of me now. It feels absolutely natural when sprinting to catch a bus or climbing stairs. I only notice the clicking when I really think about it. All the muscle soreness, tightness, and stiffness is gone. I regret that I did not have my right knee replaced at the same time as the LTKR, but I hope to have it fixed next year!
Sprinting - yee ha :thankyou:
 
To add my two cents into this- I had my left knee replaced in March of '09. Last weekend at the ren faire- where I stand and walk around for hours (we used a pedometer and one day we walked eight miles, another, six miles)- someone asked me about my replaced knee and I actually picked up my skirts to show my scar... on the wrong leg. And it wasn't an unconscious thing, like my hands were full and I'm right-handed... I was holding my camera in my right hand and had to switch it to my left before lifting up my skirts (I dress in garb, so its skirtS). I laughed about it.

My surgeon told me that the best case scenario would be that my right knee would stop hurting too. And he was right. It has. I don't think of my knee for days on end and I do sometimes forget.

I still won't kneel on a hard surface though. I don't like it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom