Guest viewing is limited

THR Dmac' great recovery adventure<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time no checking in but things aren't so hippy. 10 months ago I had my right hip done. The pain from the bad hip is gone but it has been replaced by searing pain in my outer thigh that goes into my knee and down the side of my leg. It's not there all the time but I'll go to walk or change directions, plant my foot to go and then each step just kills my outer thigh. The pain will last an hour or two, go away completely and then come right back with a vengeance. I did all my PT, I eat well, I've been doing all the strengthening exercises and this pain is only getting worse, not better. I've stopped exercising for a time to see if that would settle it and it doesn't. I'm curious to know if anyone else has gone through this and mostly IS THIS NORMAL? Is this all part of the healing process and possibly due to the bone grafting to the rod etc.? To be honest I would take the pain prior to my THR over this any day. Thanks in advance.
 
Nope my back thankfully is pretty solid. I had lateral posterior and the pain kind of runs from the scar down the outside of my thigh, into the side/back of the knee and then down the calf. I'm familiar with sciatica as I had a microdiscectomy 5 years ago for a pinched nerve on my left side.

That being said, could a muscle higher up in the thigh or glute be clamping down on the nerve? It almost feels like the outside thigh muscles aren't connected to the bone anymore. It's weird to say that but it's how it feels.
 
I've stopped exercising for a time to see if that would settle it and it doesn't.
How long was a 'time'?
searing pain in my outer thigh that goes into my knee and down the side of my leg.
Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Dmac' great recovery adventure<


[Bonesmart.org] Dmac' great recovery adventure<
 
Time is two weeks. My pain is R1F EFGH down into the knee. I could hardly walk today. I exercised yesterday. Did bodyweight squats and my pushups and pullups. The pain is when I step and put weight on the leg. I would've used crutches today if I had had them.
 
Searing pain in outer thigh and down to knee and below puts me in mind of bursitis and/or IT band.
Check these articles and see if it resonates. It did with me.

Trochanteric bursitis with THR
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments

Sharon
Great resources! It definitely looks to be similar to trochanteric bursitis. The area is sore to the touch and it hurts when I step and put pressure on the leg especially full flexion where my leg fully straightens.

I expected to be fully healed by now and moving forward so these pain instances are a setback emotionally and physically. I'm one of those people who just doesn't have time to get sick or hurt so this is a tough thing to deal with for sure. Thank you for the advice.
 
@Dmac24 as the article says, a simple solution is a cortisone injection into the bursa. Your GP (family doc) may be able to do this for you.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Dmac' great recovery adventure<


I could hardly walk today. I exercised yesterday. Did bodyweight squats and my pushups and pullups. The pain is when I step and put weight on the leg.
Oh brother! You really are into the heavy side of life, aren't you? As said previously, this is a mix of trochanteric bursitis and IT band tendinitis. It is most inadvisable to be doing squats and push/pull ups when you have that!

Fortunately, the trochanteric bursa is very superficial so the needle will only be a quick and easy jab. As Jaycey said, it's worth it when it works. I had TB a while back, in fact the bursa was as big as a duck's egg! But though I struggled up onto the doctor's couch, after the jab I rose from the couch like Lazarus from the grave! Miracle!
 
@Dmac24 Hi Bilateral Jim Here! Try Bench presses with feet up on bench vs pushups that stresses out the hip flexor. Lat pulls are good. Just walk for now leave the squats alone. Fuel perfectly and rest. Good luck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom