Bilateral PKR Di's Double Replacement Recovery

Hi ilovefall, I had a RTKR on 1/3/2020 and my LTKR on 1/10/2020 so I am in a similar place as you. I wanted to share that I struggled with lifting my entire left leg after the LTKR and it took around 10 days to really be able to start moving it on my own. My daughter would have to lift my leg for me in and out of bed. I couldn't even use the leg lifter device that is how bad the pain was. Hopefully you will see some improvement soon. I struggled with pain management at first. I called my doctor's office and spoke to the nurse a few times to figure out when and what to take. I was confused on when to take things when they discharged me. Try calling and talking to your doctor's office about your pain management. Also, the recliner was and is a lifesaver for me. Hang in there.
 
I wore ankle height socks and just grabbed the top of my sock and lifted my leg with that. I think I used a belt once or twice but it didn't seem to work as well. The only bad thing is you're always wearing socks which after a while annoyed me.
 
I couldn’t lift my leg myself for a couple of weeks. Relax, it will come. Your leg is very upset right now.
 
Yes I have a leg lifter. Managing pain now. Doc’s office actually called me to go over dosage etc.
icing and elevating is going well.
still no appetite but eating enough so meds don’t bother my stomach.
 
Day 4 Update:
Today is better than yesterday. Got pain meds worked out. Started a new exercise today. I started it because I felt I could do it not because PT told me to do it. PT gave me 8 exercises to do 2x a day while home. That’s not happening! I’m only doing what I feel I can do. Otherwise I’m walking for 10 mins every hour.
Walking comfortably with crutches.
Can lift right leg a little bit today! :yes!:
Otherwise still no appetite. Eating just enough to take meds and hoping Mother Nature kicks in soon!
 
8 exercises day 4? Seems pretty aggressive on the PT part....I had 3.... i see you went to Rothman previously, is that where you went this time as well?
 
Used the gauze "leg lifter" made out of gauze tube by hospital for a few days, later I used your method and just grabbed my pants leg -- either PJs or knit pants so no worries if they stretched.
 
8 exercises day 4? Seems pretty aggressive on the PT part....I had 3.... i see you went to Rothman previously, is that where you went this time as well?

1st day out of surgery (surgery being day 0), they had us all in hospital PT doing 20 reps of 8 different exercises plus walking with walker. In-home PT started day after got home (then every other day) when all nerve blocks wore off and I was in total melt-down shaking in bed with so much pain with only 7 pills of lowest dose Percocet (that I was to take no more than every 8 hours while in hospital, with care, AND with nerve blocks, every 4 hours).

Same exercises by in-home PT, who then added another 2 or 3 new ones each day. Tears streaming down my face with 1st in-home PT session.

After trying to do a few exercises on my own on the off days, I finally decided I needed the off days just to heal up some from the PT days, and other than walking around the house, to bathroom, etc., and ankle pumps, I only do the PT days. Had to tell the lady the other day I could NOT do any more of flexing my knee backwards as it was so inflamed and hurt so much from other PT I had lost about 30 degrees of flextion over the first week.

No wonder I am still in so much pain, my ROM has decreased greatly from the 1st week, and am so depressed at pain and progress near end of 2nd week.

Next week I have to go to out-home PT 3 days a week and worried it will get worse.

And stupid doc told me in hospital right before surgery he wanted me to do 150 (yes 150!) leg raises every day, but did not care about PT other exercises. My leg goes to failure with 40 a day divided into groups of 5 or 10.

These people are all bat-____ crazy.
 
8 exercises day 4? Seems pretty aggressive on the PT part....I had 3.... i see you went to Rothman previously, is that where you went this time as well?
Yes that’s a crazy amount of exercises. My doc said to just concentrate on walking and ankle pumps. I did them a few times today and did some heel slides as well. Yes, I went to Rothman this time as well. Same surgeon that did my hips as well. Dr Javad Parvizi.
 
I have found the heel slides most difficult...Penn Medicine patient myself...leg Extensions have been much much easier..still looking for a solid night sleep! Keep on plugging along, it does get better !
 
ilovefall, You mentioned that you are waiting for Mother Nature to kick in. I strongly recommend Smooth Move herbal tea. It works so well, but is gentle. One cup at bedtime, you will have results the next morning.
 
Otherwise still no appetite. Eating just enough to take meds and hoping Mother Nature kicks in soon!
While taking my pain meds I couldn't eat, either. I had a couple of cases of premixed protein drinks, along with mixed nuts and dark chocolate, that I existed on the first few weeks. I had bought tons of frozen meals, but had no desire for them. I would keep the protein drinks very cold and would try and drink a whole one before taking my meds. Also, Metamucil three times a day to keep things going. I found tablets easier to take since I didn't want to eat or drink much.

To lift my tkr leg, I used the other leg underneath it to lift the leg up and down. It worked well for me. The good thing was it was always with me!
 
:yahoo:
One week update:
  • Showered independently today!
  • Dressed independently!
  • Waterproof Dressings removes today!
  • Walking with one or two crutches!
  • Talking Tylenol for pain during the day and Tramadol at bedtime.
  • Still sleeping in recliner for the most part. Slept in bed for 4 straight hours. Will attempt to sleep in bed once I can sleep on side.
  • PT Consult today.

  • Let’s keep the steady progress coming!
 
Great progress!...my sleep is still miserable , perhaps I should try the recliner. impressive you were able to dress and shower independently after such a short time..best wishes for a continuing successful recovery
 
Well.....here I am 13 days out of surgery and can’t stop crying!!! I also come to the realization that I am immune to oral pain medication. Am I crazy??
I’ve used Oxycodone (which causes me to almost pass out so my docs do not prescribe me that anymore). I’ve used Tramadol and Vicodin. Both seem to barely take the edge off of any of my pain. Nothing ever changes. Hospital had my meds good when they were giving them to me in my IV. Called my doc and they switched up my routine. Nope...nothing works.
I’m in pain.
I cannot stop crying.
ONLY bright side is that I’m doing well healing wise.... extension and bending is improving, walking with just cane, showering and dressing independently.
sorry for the rant. I’m just in a bad place.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom