Guest viewing is limited

Did you teach yourself to sleep on your back before surgery?

Sounds like what I got-and I love it. It was a life saver last time and will get used again.
 
Hi there @AJinNH
You'll love your lift recliner. Gathering from your thread title your not a back sleeper.
I wasn't either. I was afraid to attempt the bed immediately post op because my bed frame sticks out just enough to keep me from backing up flush to the bed. So I chose to wait until I had more confidence in myself.

Well....it took three weeks! I slept on my back, comfortably for three weeks in the recliner! Not only was I comfortable but I'd sleep in two solid blocks of 3-4 hours each night waking in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and then back asleep again with a fresh ice pack.

My only complaint was that there was a space / void between my neck and the chair. I used to roll a soft velvety lap blanket up and place it between my neck and the chair then snooze like a baby. I'll bet you surprise yourself and do the same. I think you'll be more tired than you'd imagine and you'll just zonk out :yawn: :sleep:

Best wishes as you await your big day.....I'm excited for you!
 
Loved and still love my recliner.
Slept in mine for months...now to bed.
But my sofa is low and needs replacing so it's my spot after work !
 
I didn't practice sleeping on my back, as that was even more uncomfortable than sleeping on the good side. @AJinNH As for how many pillows under your legs, I used three. Took some help in the beginning to get my leg up onto my pillow mountain, but it does get better.
 
Tried it, didn't like it :oyvey:...so hoping I can do it post op. Right now my back hurts too much to lay on my back and darn those restless legs of mine want to do an Irish Jig all night. They probably do it anyway when I'm on my side, I just don't realize it.:loll:
 
I inherited a cast off recliner that had a handle,(which would have been painful to use post op)
It was too low, wobbled, and smelled bad. It has gone away.

Last weekend I found a great recliner LZB
Has a power wand but does not lift. I'm not sure about the color so they are checking other stores for colors and I'm wondering if I need the lift part. I'm still pretty agile even if the pain is intense.

What brand/model did you order?

Many I tried at the store didn't fully recline like the one I found, and it also has lumbar and neck adjustable. Which I never would have thought was a need but I actually loved!
 
With SuperPath, you won't have the 90 degree restrictions, so that makes it easier to deal with getting in and out. Whether you need/want a lift may depend on how low and deep it is - how comfortably can you use your arms to help you stand depends on how hard the legs would need to work. My recliner (also LZB) is a small-framed one so more sized for women. I also opted to pay more for the non-rocking feature. I didn't have power or lift and didn't have problems. As I found with our other recliner, rocking made it much more difficult!
 
@BeBe I bought an Ultra Comfort recliner.
They come in different sizes, petite, medium, large and extra wide. I got the medium.

I found the article about recliners on Bonesmart very helpful, several key points I wouldn’t have thought were important. Do a search on the site for recliners and you’ll find it easily. Initially I wasn’t considering a lift either, but the one I liked best was also a lift, plus I am currently having issues with my knee, and the extra help made a difference. Plus it was in stock and they delivered it quickly. I did some research on the LZB recliners and decided against them. The warranty on this one is better than what you typically find and it has a solid hardwood frame. Word of caution on the one I bought, it was pricey. It does fully recline and the 3 cushions in the back can be unzipped to add or subtract filling. It has all kinds of micro-settings too. I just got it today, but so far it’s very supportive. I fell asleep in it this afternoon while I was icing my knee. :happydance:

@SaraK , I’m having a type of Superpath, except this one spares the periformis tendon, but my surgeon still requires restrictions. So maybe every doc is different. This OS does a ton of THR and has a very low complication rate, so I’ll do whatever he says. The thought of dislocation scares me silly.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My OS spares the piriformis when possible but does release and reattach when necessary (ie when it's too tight). It appears from op reports that mine was spared both times. It still is right in the middle of everything, though, so it tends to get stressed either from being pulled and stretched or just from everything around it swelling, etc. OS said he doesn't see much difference in recovery with or without release of piriformis.

i guess whether or not to impose restrictions its just another one of those differences between docs. I'd only seen docs touting no need for them with this approach. No problem using the restrictions if your doc wants and you agree!
 
Wow! Cushions that can be unzipped to add or remove filling. It must be the Cadillac of recliners!
It sounds like you're breaking it in already with your naps. That's good... it should be nice and comfy
by mid March. Hope your pain is tolerable often enough until then.
A great weekend to you!
@AJinNH
 
I just had my THR last Thursday and was told I could sleep on my back with pillow between knees; or right side with pillow between knees; or left surgical side without pillow. I found the sleeping on the right side with the pillow between knees and behind my back worked really well. Now that I'm home I'll use my recliner for a couple of days and then try my bed. The nurses at the hospital will help you find what is best for you.
 
For my first I bought an ergonomic recliner that I slept and relaxed in. It was heavenly. When we moved across country, we gave our furniture away. We bought an expensive recliner sofa that felt great in the store, but when I fall asleep in it even for just an hour, I get an awful backache. My second THR is coming up in May and I’m not sure what I’m going to do.
 
@Kazann ...so you were able to sleep on your non operated side with a pillow between your legs comfortably while still in the hospital?
 
Hello @AJinNH It didn't occur to me to try sleeping on my back for after the op even though it wasn't my first choice way of sleeping. However I do remember when I got home with all the meds, the sheer relief it was done, and a couple of extra pillows I slept absolutely fine. The op was 15th Nov and it's only been say the past 3 weeks where I have tried sleeping on my non-operated side - no probs, then last week woke up to find I was sleeping on my front, which I always preferred. Now just trying on my operated side. So far so good.
 
Yes, @Bumblebee, the second night at the hospital I asked the best way to sleep on my side and the nurse had me put the pillow between my legs and she put a pillow at my back. I found my feet were too low so I asked her to roll up a sheet to put between them. The pillow between the knees protect your operated hip from moving forward.

If you sleep on your operated side then you don't need a pillow. I haven't tried that position yet.

I see your operation is coming up. The nurses at the hospital will be able to help you. Make sure you have plenty of pillows at home.
 
Thanks @Kazann that’s good to know that you were able to sleep on your nonoperative side so soon. That’s usually my preferred position, and then switching to the operative side at least once. I usually sleep with a pillow between my knees, but that doesn’t always prevent my leg from rolling forward, so I think for a while at first I’m probably safer on my back.

@BusterBeans I’ve been falling asleep more often and longer in my new recliner. If you’re considering getting one I can definitely recommend it. Also, since I’ve been able to sleep in the recliner, I’ve managed to sleep for a while each night on my back in bed.
 
I went to hip replacement class at the hospital last night and thought I’d update you all on what I learned about their recommendations regarding sleeping after surgery.
Apparently they allow you to sleep on your non-operative side right after surgery (with pillows) and on operative side as soon as tolerated, usually after a month or more.
You may laugh because after all of my whining and concern about having to sleep on my back, when I heard this I was at first elated, then quickly switched to thinking that maybe I should play it safe and continue to sleep on my back for the first 4-6 weeks :heehee:
Recently I had a reoccurrence of sleep paralysis. It’s only happened to me 2 or 3 times before, many years apart, but only happened when I slept on my back. While nothing bad happens during it, it’s a bit disturbing. I’ll mention it during my Pre-Op appointment and see if they have any suggestions.
 
Actually @AJinNH, my pt asked today if I was sleeping in bed yet or still in recliner. Told her was still in recliner because bed not yet comfortable. She said if my op side would tolerate it I could lay on it. Tried for 30 seconds-not ready. Think I need to lose some more swelling and bruising.

She showed me proper pillow placement if laying on non-op side. She had me place pillow between knees and ankles so foot doesn’t drop. That felt much better. May give try soon.

Sleep paralysis sounds scary! I for sure would mention it.

You are getting closer!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom