Did you teach yourself to sleep on your back before surgery?

AJinNH

senior
Country
United States United States
I know that question may sound silly to most people, but I have a feeling that the folks on this forum understand. I'm a planner, to the extreme if you ask my husband, and this is on my 'to do' list before surgery. I keep seeing people talk about not sleeping after surgery, and while they list lots of reasons, it seems that having to sleep on your back, if that's not your preferred position, is at the top of the list. I already have trouble sleeping and reluctantly take a couple of Benadryl before bed, and maybe some melatonin. I generally prefer to avoid any medications.

I'm having a mini-posterior approach done and know that there will be some restrictions, although I'm not sure yet what they recommend for how long to wait before I can sleep on my non-operative side and my operative side (I assume that they're different recommendations). Also, if it's best to sleep on your back to heal properly, then that's what I'll try to do for as long as possible.

I've started to practice sleeping on my back. I put a pillow under my knees and another under my feet. I've tried several different pillows under my head and think I've found one that works finally. I can get comfy, I just can't fall asleep. Before I know it I'm back on my side. I've seen a lot of people talk about sleeping in a recliner, but we don't own one and wouldn't get one just for the surgery. What is it about the recliner that helps? Maybe I can mimic it with pillows?

Also, do you know how high you're allowed to raise your knees on pillows when lying in bed? I'm going to ask all of these questions in the pre-surgical class at the end of February, but that won't leave me a lot of time to work out a solution.

I appreciate any tips that may have worked for you.

My answer to the question in your thread title is yes I did - but not on purpose. I had spinal surgery years before my LTHR and had to sleep on my back for the first 6 weeks post op. Yes, at first it is difficult. But now it's a habit!

Here is some guidance on elevating while sleeping on your back Elevation: the do's and dont's . You don't want your feet too high. And a small pillow under your knees works best.
What is it about the recliner that helps? Maybe I can mimic it with pillows?
Not sure, I didn't use a recliner. Yes, you can mimic a recliner with lots of pillows. Plenty of people on this forum do that. Sleeping in a slightly upright position seems to work for many.

@Jaycey thanks for the information and the link. You know the funny thing is that when I'm on my back, even though I can't fall asleep, my aches in my upper body disappear. It's obviously a better position for me. I'll persevere! Thanks for the encouragement.

I meditate before sleep and am always on my back for it. Fall asleep that way every night. Wake up in a tangle of sheets on my stomach so who knows what goes on during the night.

I asked about this months ago, as I am going to start soon (delay) to learn to sleep on my back. I even bought this pillow, and I hope it works..and I can't find the link anywhere....:oyvey:

@hikejunkie thanks for mentioning meditation. I used to meditate before sleep to relax and it was helpful. I even have an old cassette tape (somewhere) with a progressive relaxation exercise. I'm sure I can find it online too. I always found following along to a relaxing voice helpful, kept my mind from wandering. Thanks!

Hello @AJinNH I remember the sleep problems I had before my op, poor quality sleep due to the pain waking me up every time I turned over in bed. Just couldn't get comfortable. Sleeping on my back was not my first choice but after the op I remember the sheer joy of not having the hip pain, and taking the meds at the right time helped so much. I lay on my back, pillow under my knees, never wanted to move and oh just slept. The relief that the op was done, hip pain gone and that was a big big thing which helped with sleep so much. later on got thigh pain but not so bad. I didn't use a recliner, just really wanted bed. And keep 'planning', loads of useful tips here on BS.

@sequin98 we had a blizzard here yesterday and I used the time stuck at home to buy all kinds of gadgets on Amazon, among them a few different types of pillows. Thank goodness for Prime, if they don't work out I can just ship them back. I got a pillow for between my knees to use now (my R knee is a problem all of a sudden), a wedge for lying in a reclining position and a contoured leg wedge to raise my legs.

The postman is going to delivering lots of packages next week :heehee: I'll let you know if I really like any of them.

I tried to practice sleeping on my back ahead of my surgery and usually ended up snoring myself awake. Post-surgery I found raising my head a bit with an additional pillow and one under my knees was comfortable. I'm just past 4 weeks post surgery and can already sleep on both sides comfortably (with one regular pillow between my knees).

I never could sleep on my back in a bed other than a hospital bed and then could have it flat. I have difficulty breathing if I do. Between the serial problems with my hips and the time it took to diagnose the first one, I spent most of the last 2 years sleeping in my recliner. Just being a little more upright made that work for me. For me, how well I slept still depended on the recliner. I wouldn't worry about teaching yourself now, though. Get the best sleep your can before surgery and let your body and exhaustion help you after!

@hikejunkie thanks for mentioning meditation. I used to meditate before sleep to relax and it was helpful. I even have an old cassette tape (somewhere) with a progressive relaxation exercise. I'm sure I can find it online too. I always found following along to a relaxing voice helpful, kept my mind from wandering. Thanks!

Check out the Headspace app. You get beginning pack free and then pay for others. There’s a pack on pain that I’m starting and I’ve been using sleep for over a year.

@AJinNH yes yes....I thought it would be a good move to practise the back sleeping ( I favour the 'recovery' position) and try to do it with the pillow under my knees. Usually after 3 mins I can't stand it any more and go to default position, but very occasionally I do fall asleep on my back, then wake up looking very unattractive with my mouth open and feeling like the bottom of the parrot cage (not very attractive, but we have no secrets here :blush:). What really concerns me is being in hospital with all those strangers......how do we keep our mouths shut? superglue? toffees? or a stylish scarf holding it shut? :loll:

@anny you are so funny and paint quite the picture :heehee:. I'm hoping that 'all those strangers' are going to be so drugged up and worrying about their own open mouths that they won't notice mine (or else I'll be so drugged up I won't care). I think the operative word here is 'strangers', hopefully they'll never recognize me if we pass on the street (I don't tend to walk around with my mouth open and eyes closed :snork:).

Last night I actually slept for a bit on my back (I was in a hotel room). So it can be done!

" (I don't tend to walk around with my mouth open and eyes closed :snork:)."........can't imagine why not :thud: :wink:

I bought a recliner and a chairlift before my knee replacement surgery in July. I love my recliner, I’d reconsider!

Practicing probably not a bad idea. I am not a back sleeper, although oddly enough I can nap on my back. I didn't practice before surgery and didn't end up having a hard time after surgery. I think I was tired enough that it wasn't an issue.

I used a recliner but I don't think I slept in it much if at all.

Someone mentioned a Body Pillow from Target. I looked around and a 'U' shaped pillow for pregnant women showed up. I'm considering that type so I have a pillow on each side to help keep me from rolling onto my side. Then I will try pillows to see if I can sleep on my back. I think I should practice!

I was lucky enough to inherit a recliner pre op. The funny thing is I didn’t much like it till post op then I loved it! I spent a lot of many nights in it but I was bilateral and it was months before I could sleep on my side. I think I’m not far off going off the recliner again but I’m not going to get rid of it. Looks like knee replacements are in my future so I’ll want it again then. It was bought for my father in law when he was very ill, then a niece had it during pregnancy and feeding bub, next it saw my sister in law through two knee replacements.

Before my first hip replacement 2 years ago I was sleeping on my back to ease the pain I still sleep on my back now as I am 3 months post op after my third hip replacement in less than 2 years and hopefully the last, before I had problems I purchased a bed similar to a hospital bed which can lift your feet or back up and also has a massage unit in it one of the best things I have ever bought.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

After a lot of experimenting with pillows of all shapes and sizes, I finally decided to purchase a recliner, something I never thought I’d own. It gets here in 2 days. I spent a small fortune, it’s one than that fully reclines and works as a lift as well. I have a current knee issue that’s preventing me from sleeping, so I can’t wait to see if it helps. Fingers crossed.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts