Did you recover alone - give me your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found it very helpful to have someone with me when I came home from my surgery (day three). I needed help moving my leg when getting in and out of bed. Partly because I was afraid I would hurt it but also because I was very tired and a bit unsteady. I also was very sick from the pain meds, so make sure you have a wastebasket near your bed just in case. I usually do not want anyone around when I am sick but I really feel (for Me) it was essential. If you can have someone with you for the first few days you will probably do better and feel more relaxed. Also it is nice to know someone is there just in case. Good Luck!
 
Well for me it all worked out great. My daughter dropped me off at the hospital at 7 am Tuesday morning, I got cut at 9 am, and was in my room at 12. I talked to all my kids, my brothers, my mom, and a few friends that afternoon and evening, but I was glad that I had asked them to stay away from the hospital until Wed night.

My daughter drove me home Friday night. I was fine alone. PT came Saturday to do evaluation, then every other day for 2 weeks. My daughter stopped over with fresh fruits and vegies and then took me to the store last weekend. I saw all my neighbors on my 3-a-day walks but didn't need to take any of therm up on their offers to help. I got a ride in the town's senior citizen van to my 2 week post op appointment and the doc cleared me for driving so that about ends any issues I might have encountered living alone.

Working from home helped a lot because it helped me fill in the hours I might have gotten board. I also belong to several outdoor clubs that had projects for me to work on as well.

My top items I came to depend on were;'

The pick up reacher sticks I had hung all over the house proved to be invaluable.

The waterproof cellphone case that allowed me to hang the cell phone around my neck when going to the bathroom at night in case I fell, and while taking a shower in the mornings.

The iceman machine prescribed by my doc and the ice making machine I bought to go with it gave me a convenient and efficient way to keep my hip iced.

The 4-wheeled rollator with a high seat. I attached a utility basket to the seat with velcro so I could transport food and drinks from the kitchen to my desk or the recliner, and then remove the basket if I wanted to sit on the roallator.
 
Wow! @nogods, you truly had your
[Bonesmart.org] Did you recover alone - give me your advice
! Good planning makes a world of difference!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom