Guest viewing is limited

Did you have referred pain in your knee?

I got the results of the MRI today. They verified the diagnosis of chondromalasia, (runner’s knee) and arthritis. The arthritis in my knee isn’t too bad. Also verified the swelling and inflammation. The ligaments and meniscus look good.
My OS believes the pain and swelling in my thigh is from being in the middle of an arthritic hip and knee. He thinks my knee and thigh will improve after my hip is replaced.
I’m deciding to take this as good news, there’s nothing new to deal with, and it all probably stems from the hip. Back in December I was having second thoughts about having THR surgery because I wasn’t as incapacitated as most others who need replacements. This past month I’ve felt incapacitated; be careful what you wish for :dubious:
So at least now I’m eagerly looking forward to getting on with this and, hopefully, getting moving again. I hope my journey helps someone else out there, so many of yours has helped me.
Thanks everyone for your support, it helped a great deal.
 
glad it's nothing worse, and that it's likely to improve after your op. Another 8 wks to go....seems ages but expect it'll be here before we know it.....start wishing for good things now :wink: (and get some pre-op practice in with the icepack on that knee :))
 
Glad there is nothing more serious @AJinNH. It is amazing how quickly the pain can go from annoying to debilitating. I am also amazed at how many other parts of the body one bad hip can impact. Hope the pain and incapacitation does get too bad between now and March. I understand you questioning if you should have surgery because “it’s not as bad as others.” I had that battle going on until I realized I don’t have to wait that long. Mine is acting up more on a daily basis, still not collapsed and hope it does not decide to do so in the next week! I just want to get leveled out and have two good hips.
 
@MammaT your RTHR is right around the corner! I’m happy that you’ll soon have two good hips. I’m still amazed at how quickly things deteriorated the past few months. In early October I was riding high, feeling good, very active and believing that a THR was at least 2-3 years away, despite the bone on bone diagnosis. Then booom, first a new problem with my hip that felt like bursitis and then in November, the first episode with my knee. At least the knee problem has made me realize that the timing is right to get a new hip.

@anny we’ll be post-oping together soon! I have so many ice packs and some days I feel like a popsicle with one over and under my knee, another on my thigh and two on my hip. Ice is really the only thing that helps. Hopefully after the surgery the only thing requiring ice will be my hip. OS has advised me to walk as much as possible prior to surgery, so once the swelling goes down some more I’ll start walking. This inactivity is killing me. How are you holding up?
 
@AJinNH

So good to hear you had the MRI of your knee and your OS believes your pain will be helped by the THR.
That concurs with my situation and symptoms and what 3 different OS have told me. However I have not
had swelling or heat.

I'm ordering more ice packs off amazon right now as my grocery doesn't carry them until summer. And these hold the cold overnight! I only have 4 but between both hips my knee and low back its like an ice blanket..
At least it helps with the hot flashes too!
 
If you have a lot of pain in your knee while awaiting your THR, I am somewhat of a connoisseur of knee braces and other devices given by BTKR and THR. Am going for bionic. Of the many I’ve purchased, the best has been Kneed-It which is designed for people with knee arthritis or chondromalasia. It straps on under the center of your knee and takes the pressure and pain off your knee. I strap mine on before I go shopping or for walks. It’s what will keep me sane until my THR in May. I got mine online. Best of luck with your upcoming surgery! When are you scheduled?
 
Hi @BeBe do you mind sharing which ice packs you got online? Mine don’t last that long. I can use some help with the hot flashes too! I hope you’re not in too much pain while waiting for your surgery, just around the corner. Hang in there.

@BusterBeans thanks for the tip about the knee brace, I’ll definitely give it a try!
 
Lifoam FreezPak "The Artic" on amazon. For some reason I'm not copying on this iPad.
They last hours for me, for sure over night but I do move them on and off and around to all the hot spots.
I have the smaller version but am getting the larger ones now.
I have four and have used them daily for months.
I put them in a gallon size plastic freezer bag then wrap in a muslin dish towel.
 
@BeBe Thanks, I just ordered a few! I learned the past couple of weeks that I can't have too many ice packs. We are a couple of COOL ladies :loll:
 
@BusterBeans I just ordered the knee brace on Amazon, it arrives Sunday. Once all of this inflammation is gone I'm hoping that I can at least get in some good walking in the weeks before surgery, hopefully the brace will help keep things in place and avoid another flareup. I've had 2 good nights of sleep without knee pain, so things are looking up. Thanks again for sharing.
 
Back
Top Bottom