THR Diana's LTHR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I should Conway surgeon


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm doing great, thanks! Yes, I've had both hips done (beginning of Feb and the end of April). I have no pain now and am so pleased with the results. You'll get there soon. :-)
 
Has anyone felt like they may go crazy from the pain


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

I never had much pain post-op, but I was on Percocet (10 Mg's) three times a day and one extended release morphine tablet (I can't remember the dose). It controlled my pain so well that I never went over a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1 to 10.
 
I am sorry for my not so inspiring recovery log. I just sent an email to my OS nurse regarding bruising.

A bit concerned that I woke with sharp knee and calf pain yesterday morning.

I noticed a NEW Blue bruise on kneecap 12 days in and today it is almost covering my entire knee?

The bruising from buttocks to lower calf is purple and the spreading seems to have slowed but knee and calf bruise and pain worries me.

Waiting on what OS nurse will say; likely that it's normal.

I think that I was only under anesthesia for 20 minutes! I was wide awake 40 minutes after passing out and nurse said I woke in OR prior so maybe they just were very rough.

It makes me feel sad for my poor body and also angry that OS didn't bother to hear my question nor read my chart 3 months prior to the surgery.

I decided to only take one aspirin a day as instructions say 2 if tolerated?

@Josephine am I at more risk for blood clots with so much bruising? Do you think it's okay to take only 1 325 mg aspirin? I also take fish oil, although stopped 3 weeks prior to surgery.

Thank you


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My OS nurse says I need to manage my pain better.... Her words were " hip replacement is a painful surgery".

Told her the complex story and haven't heard back yet. That the surgeon told me not to taper prior then acted so surprised and how I refused meds.

THE REST IS JUST A RANT I NEEDED TO GET OFF MY CHEST. No one need read. Hope you all are improving little by little day by day.

Love,
Diana

Hoping to get another pain mgt. doc
And get on meds from hospital for 8 weeks at least.

Hospital said I was on less than my normal but normal only looked high as the generic passed through me due to my intestinal prolapse.

I hope I get this sorted as I think I will be needing a back surgery ( or knee replacement , which I think after hip experience I had -- not normal -- I would take wheelchair or euthanasia prior to knee replacement and 9 hours of no immediate pain control after surgery, save a nerve block.

Hospital decided not to trust me when I said I took no meds since 9 pm night prior.

Just hurts as I have NEVER misused or abused pain meds NEVER asked for increase NEVER complained with decreases based on doctors paranoia after attending DEA lecture.

Pain med docs make a fortune. Mine started out with 150K in school loans, 6 years later he bought a building, his wife no longer works and he's only there 2x a week.

The PA gives injections that cost 2500$. Can't get same day as meds or they don't get paid... I can't drive much and begged..... PAs shots do not work anyway, but they finally allowed PA to give me injections since I can't drive 2x in a month.

I want a doctor. I actually ask PA to get new MRIs and he's made countless errors in my med refills, will not switch meds like doctor did every 6 months to avoid tolerance buildup.

I feel like a piece of garbage and all I want is to be able to care for my mother and low enough pain levels so I can focus on WORKING!

I really should not have to worry about all this 8 days prior to post op.

I hope when I re read this log, I will no longer be in a place of helplessness and powerlessness because I've been told that pain makes me a horrible person for the past 8 years.

I just want to get a life where I don't have to worry about homelessness due to greedy unvompassionate doctors who have god complexes.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I hear you, @lizzicat. Your situation is intolerable and unfair to the extreme. I hope you have much better treatment and luck in the future. Cyber hugs and friendly vibes to you!
 
Thank you, @Krista.

Guess I have to weather a trip to pain med doc.

OS nurse told me I need to get my pain managed and do it through him.

I wouldn't feel so betrayed if I hadn't ASKED my pain doc and the OS and both told me not to taper.

I am so anxious and only get pain levels to 6-7 when laying on bed.

Can't even sit on recliner and dementia narcissist mother is angry that I am not waiting on her AND stealing my One Hour of home personal care that I get for a week.

I just cry all the time, My mother never has asked me how I feel or if I need anything and stopped putting my ONE stocking on because it takes 2 minutes ( I do the other probably why I am sore )


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sometimes you just need to walk away from the negative people that steal your joy.
Chronic pain is a horrible thing and I hope you can get it under control.
 
@lizzicat, you aren't very far out from your THR, are you? It sounds to me like you are in crisis here. No one should be having to deal with these situations, most especially on your own. You need some serious help on the ground. How can you be expected to care for a person with dementia while you are trying to recover from THR? It was all I could to handle self-care for months, and I had my sister who lives next door helping me, and my husband, too.

I hope you will reach out to family, social service organizations, doctors, social workers, people at senior centers, ANYONE who might be able to give you answers about how your mother may be cared for by someone other than you until you are fully recovered. Do you have any family who can step in and do the overwhelming work you are trying to do?

This work you are very kindly trying to do to help your very ill mother is hurting you very much and could very well prevent you being recovered. Plus, you yourself need people to assist YOU. The pain situation alone is absolutely unacceptable. My heart goes out to you in this time of extreme need for both your mom and you! Your spirit is willing, but your body just cannot do this, and you risk permanent injury.
 
Hi @Krista

I hurt myself yesterday. I went to the market with friend after post op.

I'm scared as my hip is 3x the size and feels like I was getting bad cramps from upper thigh to lower calf.

I had a social worker come and hopefully I will get some help soon.

My mother is angry. One of the problem is that she's hiding her dementia and the neighbors think I'm lying.

My mother is copying me for attention? I don't know but she actually said her hip was dislocated and went to ER. There was nothing wrong with her hip at all from X-ray.

I have been isolated too long. I postponed this surgery because I was too scared to have it here and I was in too much pain to move.

Right now I'm just afraid of the new pain and swelling.

NOTHING MATTERS TO ME ANYMORE BUT HEALING.

Is swelling so much and new pain normal? Could it just be from moving the wrong way while muscles are tight and too much stress?

PT is coming for last time today and I will show him but he brushes any type of injury off.

Pain was not present when X-ray taken at post op and this is last visit.

I don't have outpatient PT.

Any thoughts on the severe cramps and the sudden swelling? I ICE almost 24/7, although part is just icy water in a bag and pillowcase.

Thank you.

I am stuck here until I heal. My mother is a sick woman. That is a different issue. It's time for me to get a life, no matter how scary.

I just feel so out of place here.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I don't have any family :(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It sounds to me like you are unable to care for your mom in your condition. You are unable to care for yourself either. You need to get other people involved to come up with solutions about how she will be taken care of. And you need to be able to get to see your doctor about your conditions. Please reach out. Call your mom's doctor and tell them you can't care for her. Call senior services. Call anyone you can think of. Many doctor's offices have contacts for social services organizations.

I hope you can get the help you need for the both of you, dear Diane!
 
My 9 day incision looks a bit angry. Is it normal to have bruising from buttocks to mid calf?

ICE IS MY BEST FRIEND. [emoji274][emoji274]5 minutes without ice is my frenemy. More is the devils advocate! [emoji83][emoji83][emoji83][emoji83]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
I really wish I could help you. I know chronic pain is a nasty circle of poor health, poor nutrition, self medicating and often poor life skills. There are many ways to get thru this. But I also know you have really hard choices to make. And for that you need a support group that keeps you honest and accoutable for your decsions. Are you ready to face pain with a supportive group of people supporting you. That is your own personal choice to make. You are young and there is hope for you. You just need to ask for that type of support. It is your choice.i would not be so harsh to say these things but I have walked your path and after about ten years I know that the truth will set you free. I hope you can find your way. Blessings to you my friend
Hello ladies and gents,

Well, I started out with a bit of hard surprises. My surgical pain was not managed at all. Cry. I've had chronic pain since 1997. Sacroiliac issues, pirifirmos syndrome, ddd, herniated disk, etc. since I was 36. I was cancelling trips to Paris and Bahamas and the movies with my now ex husband. Was given a hysterectomy because Gyn said enlarged uterus was causing pressure, the next year 2000, got ovaries removed, then sent to pain mgt. Husband divorced me due to chronic pain and barrenness. Sad. He committed suicide in 2012, after having 3 kids with his new wife, but left me with PTSD.

Anyway, I now am told that the pain mgt doc I've been going to for 8 years probably is going to fire me, and is forcing me to drive down there in 11 days (a week prior to my post op) to get pain meds.

I declined pain Rx from the doc at hospital as I was told that it would cause me to be kicked out.

I was told by OS 2.6 months ago NOT to taper my meds.

Prior to surgery, I was told by anesthetise that I will likely have a slower healing time due to my pre existing pain levels. They did not have my rxed meds after surgery so the nurse told me friend to bring from home and I had withdrawals and had some diarrhoea the night of my surgery along with bladder spasms from sheer pain and stress.

I did not sleep a wink for 36 hours.

My OS chided me prior to surgery and said "rapid detox would be good for you". Sorry Mr surgeon, I don't have 5000 for that and my pain issues are due to sciatic and sacral pain and herniated disks etc. That I have had since 2000.

My hip pain surfaced around 2012! Much later and I have maintained the same pain meds since 2008.

I am frightened that in 2 weeks I will be tapered down -- 20 days after LTHR --and everything hurts as I have tapered down myself a few years ago.

I don't understand why my pain doc is forcing me to get in a car in 10 days.

I keep getting "oh my husband friend wife or myself (my pain doc) had THR and was driving in 3 weeks and doing normal activities in 2."

I am sorry that I am not a typical patient.

I put off my pain and my life for the past 6 years due to having to care for my parents. My mom has dementia and I'm her caregiver.

But I have been on unable to do anything more than shower 1 x a week, drag groceries, and try to cook 3 decent meals a week.

Many times I could only drink milk and was giving my mom protein drinks and green veggie drinks etc.

I don't know if anybody has been on narcotics for LONG TERM.

The anesthesia guy said I have hyperanagelsia, but I do not agree as pain meds work still.

I have been undermedicated but too afraid to say anything, as I have no energy to shop for new pain docs.

If anyone has any advice as what I should say or not say in 2 weeks????

The hospital nurse asked if I was taking my meds from home and I said yes, I took 4 Percocets while they were waiting 8 hours to figure out what to give me.

When I was being discharged the nurse told me they gave me less pain meds than my NORMAL dose for past 16 years, like I should be proud???

She found a couple meds in my bed as I was trying to make up for what they were giving me since she told me to have Maureen bring my meds and the anxiety of knowing I will run out or be tapered when I still have a couple more surgeries ( prolapse back ) ahead of me.

I think my OS is friends with the PA who writes my pain Rx and he told him no more.

This PA has made mistakes in my meds several times, and he yelled at me the last time I was there when I asked to be raised back to 4 breakthrough pills as I was on 8 months ago before he cut me back. I didn't say a word when he cut me back, but I was cancelling my pre-ops, cancelled 3 hair cuts and colors and didn't prepare my chicken soup due to not being able to walk or stand the month prior.

Dr Carter the PA said he had his hip replaced and took no meds and had no pain.

Well, he wasn't on meds for 16 years prior and I doubt they let his pain levels go up to 9.5 half hour after surgery




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

TAke too. It's hard to write on phone and I'm too pained to get the laptop.

I am determined . Pt said he's had many back pain patients say their back pain resolved itself after hip sugary, even after many failed back surgeries, and I hold onto that.
I just wish I didn't have to worry about the pain doc. He assured me prior and I am so scsred.

I still have my knee pain. OS said it may or may it resolve itself.

Anyone who has been on pain mgt for long term, I'd love a friend in thos



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
I will follow you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
 
@lizzicat any support you can get would be a good thing. Your burden is one that no one should have to carry alone. I hope you are able to get help soon so that you can find your joy again. It can be done. Good wishes and prayers coming your way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom