Guest viewing is limited

December TKR - spinal?

If you have a spinal does that mean you can't walk right away and need a urinary catheter?

You won’t be able to walk right away, as in the first hour, but you won’t need to. You will wake up clear-headed and may realize you can’t move your legs. That was what happened with me. I knew that would be the case, so found it interesting but not scary. A very short while later I could move the muscles in my thighs. And shortly after that, my knees. Yay! I was very excited to bend my knees (didn’t hurt at all because still with anesthesia). And then... the feet! At that point, you’re good to go but you won’t be asked to walk just yet.

I got on my feet a few hours after surgery, following a nice lunch, and walked to a bedside commode. A few hours later, I walked to the bathroom. I never had a catheter that I know of.
 
Yes ... I am scheduled to have the very same form of anesthesia at the ortho hospital I am using. Very typical and apparently done with great results. Less side effects post op and some sustained pain relief in addition to their regular pain meds you will given post op. Good luck.
Hey Matt,
I had a spinal on the 11th and they also gave me a nerve block in my surgical knee. I had problems with the pain meds not working, so I had trouble with pain control on the first night. It's a journey and a long one. I'm in my 3rd week of PT and have been walking mostly on my own. I got rid of the elevated toilet seat and shower chair. It's amazing how fast you start doing things again, BUT, you have to be dedicated to your PT, at home and in the PT gym. Good luck! I know you'll do fine! [emoji16]

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
 
It's amazing how fast you start doing things again, BUT, you have to be dedicated to your PT, at home and in the PT gym. Good luck! I know you'll do fine!
[Bonesmart.org] December TKR - spinal?
If things are moving along fast for you, that’s great. But for many of us, this recovery is very slow.

We also feel, especially in the early weeks, when it comes to exercise, for many of us, less is more.

Keep in mind, it’s not exercising that gets our range of motion back, it’s Time:

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Exercise as in strength training is counter-productive and in the early weeks does more harm than good. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
I'm sure that's true. I'm not pushing myself or my knee and I know it's going to take a year or more for it to be really good. I'm just pleased at how far I've come in 3 weeks. Everyone gets to it at their own pace.
I rest, ice and elevate the same as I did when I got home. It's just nice not to have to rely on a cane to get around in my house. That's progress for ME.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
 
You’re doing awesome!!!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom