Guest viewing is limited

THR Day 12 post RTHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put a load of washing on in our front loader using my grabber stick. First bit of real housework I've done apart from a bit of laundry folding

Isn't it amazing what you can do with that grabber stick?? I'm still finding new uses!
 
Haha yes it is. They sure are handy. Hope things are progressing well for you.

Went to the surgeon today to check on my discharge from my wound. He made me walk without crutches from his waiting room to his consulting room and I did it!!! Yay!!! Everyone said it gets easier
Surgeon didn't believe me about the amount of discharge but started me on antibiotics. Had just left his rooms but had to go back as had discharge pouring down my leg and into my shoe. He believed me then lol
Physio tomorrow. Feeling much more like me today
 
Moving around the house now on one crutch. So much easier to carry things from room to room. Physio not until Monday ( so sure it was today must be the drugs). Trying not to limp as don't want to get into bad habit. I still have the limb swelling so lying on bed with leg elevated. Ice on incision site. Have dropped my meds. Only taking Targin at night and will stop them once box finished. Taking Paracetamol during the day. Have been sleeping through the night flat on my back which I thought I would have trouble with as am a stomach sleeper. Just wish the wound discharge would stop. Oh well better out than in.
 
Just changed my dressing. Combine completely soaked through :(
 
I am sure that is a bit scary! I hope the wound gets dry soon!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR in my future.
 
Sorry to hear that incision is not behaving itself, hope it gets better very soon


Bettifloss - RTHR 5 January 2016
 
Thanks @bettifloss and @jomarie58 . It is a little scary. I'm worried about infection but am on the antibiotics now. I work as a nurse in a GP surgery so went into work to get them to have a look at it and dress it for me. Still draining moderate amount but no infection.
I cannot believe I am moving so much better. Yesterday was my youngest daughter's 20th birthday and I managed to make brown rice and sweet potato quinoa salads for her BBQ dinner. Luckily my kitchen isn't very big so can use the counter for support if I need to.
 
Coming up to three weeks post op this Tuesday. Am moving so much better. This morning I managed a load of washing and general tidying up. Cleaned the kitchen to my standard and put away the clutter that no,one but me sees in my family. Managed on one crutch or sometimes none. Even managed to shower myself with no supervision. Looking forward to physio tomorrow. Minimal discharge on dressing when I changed it today. Now lying on bed with leg elevated and ice on incision.
 
@Hipster Coley , Hi I've been reading through your posts, you are. Just a day ahead of me on surgery!
So hope to tag along to see how things are going! We are in about the same place with the cane, and even the daughters Bday and cooking! . Hope your discharge from the hoisin and use of antibiotics has turned to
More healing for you. I'm starting my first out patient PT tomorrow and not sure what to expect......
How is your pain med use going at this point. I'm going to talk with my dr tomorrow and try to figure out what is next.....I'm out winding down on all the post surgery stronger meds and trying just the Tylenol ...but finding its
Barely dampening an over all ache around the incision area with each move? Any way, wishing all the best this week.....this is similar to me in terms of a good day, or a very good day, and then kind of a funk day...energy and pain wise.....can't seem t figure out what s different between the two:shrug:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Geneva we had our surgery on the same day! Weds Jan 13. Anterior TLHR.
Every body is different. I had my surgery at an Outpatient Surgery Center- was there for 23 hours overnight for observation. No hospital stay. Catheter was out at 4PM same day and PT was there to get me up and walking. I walked again later that night and first thing in the morning before I left the surgery center.
PT met me at my house at 8:30am for exercises and walking. After a week and a half I transferred from crutches to the cane and sometimes I can walk across the room without anything, probaly would get laughed at if i was on the CAT walk- lol.
At 2 weeks and 2 days, I drove myself to first outpatient PT. :snork:

Pain meds are all so individual. I didn't do so well with Oxycontin and Oxycodone, sleeping like I was comatosse. Went off those after 5 /6 days, asked the Doc for Norco, took that 4 times and then ended up with a massive headache. So I have been on Tylenol and Ice , and the aspirin. Sure i have some discomfort, as to be expected, iinsciscion area, & around my lowerback & the pieraformance muscle, the Tylenol helps. Every night at 330/4 am when i get up to p is when i have the hardest time getting comfortable and back to sleep but eventually do. The ice packs definately help.

I think the Funk days are the kind of post op blue day? I've had a couple of those, and the days where I am just tired and need to nap, and i like knowing that it is a tired because my body is telling me it needs a rest and a healing nap, versus a narcotic tired. I just keep telling myself that IF I feel funky dunky, that I am not SICK and things could be worse and I need to get into a positive mode. :) I have 3 PT appointments this week and looking forward to the massage, and exercises to make me stronger!

CC TLHR Anterior January 13, 2016
 
@Hippin CC wow, wonderful to hear you are movin right along! Each of us sure have our own pace I've learned, and arrive at the point of surgery in different condition. I was pretty " de conditioned" unfortunately for the 5 months prior to getting into surgery so my dr is recommending that slow and steady is my best course! tHanks for the notes about the funk feeling......I think my mind plays games with my body and tries to will it to get over it! Learning to let go of this mental baggage of mind over matter is not a good approach for this process....My Docs reminder.......titanium and bone need a very slow and gradual process to "knit" and bond . Wow, a massage sounds great......going to make that apt now......hadn't thought of that so soon.....but it makes sense to get the lymph and circulation moving and rejunivating ......keep me posted........looks like youre just across the GG Bridge!
 
Hi - isn't you physical therapist giving your leg a massage for the first 20 minutes in PT? That's where I'm getting the massage. It's great- really helping with the areas that are so tight. Ask you PT why they aren't doing that.... Everyone keeps telling me to stop doing so much and to slow down- I'm trying but it's difficult!
I was bone On bone & several bone spurs , apparently it wasn't too pretty in there. Suns out-hope you feel great today! beautiful day in Northern CA.
Who did your hip? Can we talk about that here?
 
@geneva I'm hearing you re good day and funk day. I think it's just the healing process. I'm just listening to my body and trying to not push myself too much. As everyone says it's not a race . You will get there. Hope your PT session went well.
@Hippin CC wow you are really doing well. I can't drive yet until after I see the surgeon next week. Today was the first day when I thought I could just about manage to drive.
It's week 3 today for me post op and I'm feeling more positive. Went to the physio yesterday and he said I have quite good ROM. I'm a little stiff so he massaged my leg an worked on my lower back. He wants me to do pelvic tilts to loosen it. I guess it's a bio mechanical thing. Surgeon told me that now my foot points in the right direction!! I've been finding I've got a bit of knee and ankle pain I guess they are getting used to the new alignment. Physio said to ditch the crutch inside and to use one if walking long distances. Managed to walk around the block with one crutch the other night with my husband with no problems. Unfortunately unable to get into hydrotherapy pool as wound still discharging small amounts. Physio said that the pool will be very beneficial for me. Can't wait. Have appt next tues.
Ive cut all my oxycodiene meds. Managing with Celebrex twice a day and paracetamol during the day. I do find I'm very stiff when I first get up from sitting or laying but it gets easier as I warm up and don't seem to limp too bad. I've been trying to do all my exercises at least twice a day and walk around the yard. I find I need to rest with leg elevated in the afternoons. So morning is when I have the most energy to tackle small household chores.
Today my husband and I went to the movies and saw Sisters. I wasn't too uncomfortable. I took one crutch and my wedge cushion. A friend had THR about 4 months ago and I copied her idea and put the wedge in a large carry/hand bag and cart it everywhere with me like a handbag and sit on it when I get to where I'm going.
Am now laying on bed with my leg elevated. I think I'll sleep well tonight. I hope!!! I am finding it hard to get to sleep at night. Maybe combination of my daytime cat naps and having to sleep on my back.
 
Who did your hip? Can we talk about that here?
Yes indeed you can talk about were you had and who did your surgery. It helps others in your area in their search.
Physio said to ditch the crutch inside and to use one if walking long distances.
Ditch the crutch if you feel confident. Sometimes if we are tired the limp comes back. If you are limping at all use a walking aid.

Sounds like you are both doing great!
 
@Jaycey thank you I will certainly keep that in mind. Thank you for the support much appreciated :)
 
@Hippin CC , thanks for your note above. My surgeon, was DR Hartford, with Stanford, and Palo Alto Med. could not be more pleased with his repore or attention to detail in the pre op, hospital, and post op phases. I just started out patient PT this week so they have said that the massage is incorporated after my first eval. Visit.
Whew. Good to know. Think I'll treat myself to an all over massage at a favorite place tho for next week.

@Hipster Coley how is your incision doing? Hope the antibiotics and another week will put that issue behind you.
I'm walking only with a cane now....or not.....I m using it when I'm busy or out for a longer walk to remain mindful of my gate, alignment, etc. I'm finding that if my mind gets busy I can too easily walk a bit sloppily ...trying to establish new muscle memory after so many months of limping last fall is not as easy as I imagined!
Looks like we are on the same track in terms of the exercises and starting in the pool next week! wE have some new movie theaters here where you buy the tickets on line in adv. and have a reserved full recliner chair! doing that this weekend.....and will certainly bring that foam wedge as well. The sleep piece is still a challenge here too, hoping to sleep on my side tonight to see if that can help.....and Mabe get more exceersize and fresh air too.:alarm:
 
@geneva- my wound discharge is getting better. Very minimal now. Have completed the course of antibiotics so fingers crossed its all good now. I am paranoid that it will all start up again so am constantly checking to make sure it's not red or hot etc. You sound like you are going great. It's amazing when you look back at how much progress we have made. I hope you managed to sleep on your side. I haven't tried that yet.
 
@Hipster Coley , wondering how your dr apt went this week. Hope your wound continues t get better! I just went as well, to have a final weird stitch removed that was not disappearing. Dr said I'm fine to sleep on my side too, on the non incision side, with a body pillow for support but he said that it wouldn't be too comfy for long because my muscles aren't in shape enough to support the needed spine alignment...sure enough tried it for a short nap today and lasted about 20 minutes! Can't wait until it feels better , and ordered a longer body pillow today!
Are you driving yet......Not sure what traffic in Perth is like......but I found that after a month or more of not driving here....I was a bit shocked at how fast the cars and everything was moving !!!!!!! Eeeks so many drivers not paying attention on their phones! Think I'll practice a bit more on side street before going on the freeways! My son is in New Zealand and is finding it challenging t drive on the other side of the road!!!!!!!:driver:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@geneva- I haven't seen the dr yet. I've been managing my wound myself. My appt is for next Thurs. hopefully he'll let me drive then. Perth is starting to get quite busy traffic wise as opposed to 5 years ago but probably not as much as where you live. When I start driving I think I'll be like you and keep off the freeway ( we only really have one that goes north to south bisecting the city). how does your son like New Zealand? I've never been but supposed to be beautiful. Do you have any knee pain on the operated side? I feel like I have a small lump behind my knee. I'm trying to do all my exercises to loosen it up. I'm sorry you couldn't sleep on your side for very long but hopefully the more you do it the easier it will get. I am using a long body pillow to elevate my leg and hopefully that will be the right shape for when I start sleeping on my side ( I'm going to wait until I see dr):)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom