TKR DaveJH's Knee Recovery Thread

That’s a great update, thanks for coming back to share it!
 
The downside is I keep forgetting about it and get dinged by the airport metal detectors.
It's strange because my PKR doesn't trigger airport metal detectors.
I have done a few trips now and never had a problem. I wonder if there is some particular metal/ type of implant that does trigger them and how many people have this issue?
 
My PKR also hasn’t set off any alarms, at least not yet. I haven’t been to any airports, but I have been through a security thing when I had jury duty last year, and also if I go to our County Building where some of our government offices are.

Maybe it’s because PKRs have less metal than TKRs? :shrug:
 
Just did a quick Google search on airline metal detectors and TKRs.
Looks like earlier implants were more likely to set off the alarms and now less than 50% do. TKRs are more likely than hip implants to trigger alarms and PKRs seldom do.
 
Happy One Year Anniversary, Dave!
Thanks for stopping by to share that your recovery is going well. :ok:
Have a great Spring and Summer 2024!
@DaveJH
 
Just did a quick Google search on airline metal detectors and TKRs.
Looks like earlier implants were more likely to set off the alarms and now less than 50% do. TKRs are more likely than hip implants to trigger alarms and PKRs seldom do.
Clearly mine is one of the 50% that do. I should just remember to ask for a millimeter wave scan to start with since that is where I always end up, now.
 
Sounds like you have a great recovery and a wand scan is a small price to pay.
I found this on a surgical website which explains the variation. What was interesting was that they can change the settings/ sensitivity of the scanners if the security threat is higher. So some of us may trigger alarms on some scanners but not others.
"Travelers’ mixed experiences with metal detectors at airports are due to a number of factors. The sensitivity of metal detectors is based on a scale of 1 to 15 (1 being the least sensitive, 15 being the most sensitive), and the average airport detector is set at five. Some detectors, particularly in high-risk security areas of the world, are set at seven. Detectors set at 10 will be activated by objects with very low metal content, such as coins and jewelry, and thus would create many false alarms and even longer lines at security checkpoints.

Implants with high iron content, such as Austin Moore prostheses, are the most likely to set off the alarms. Newer implants are often made with metals such as titanium and are less likely to set off detectors. These characteristics may also be influenced by outside factors, such as nearby sources of electromagnetic radiation."
 
Loved reading your 1 year assessment and so impressed by the walk you were able to do. It's so helpful to read about a whole year of progress--thank you for coming back on to write that!
 
Clearly mine is one of the 50% that do. I should just remember to ask for a millimeter wave scan to start with since that is where I always end up, now.
I'm also in that group who set it off! And I've now added a second knee to the knee + hip I already had. Fun times!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom