Guest viewing is limited

date approaching really scared

Status
Not open for further replies.
@summertime that is my favorite verse. I have it hanging in my office! As you can tell I do not always follow it as I do worry sometimes.
 
I do believe and have faith but I also believe that a positive outlook, whether based on faith, or something else has a positive effect on healing.
 
@Freaky freak We are human, and we are going to worry, but if we remember to pray instead of worry, we do have a peace beyond understanding. I can't imagine my life without my faith, but I do know when we are positive our lives are better and it affects our healing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My name is Jeff my surgery date is approaching in about 3"weeks. I'm nervous I'm 45 don't have any problems other than 340 pounds. I use to weight 600 pounds and was loosing good until both hips start going bad last year. My surgeon is a teacher of the anterior approach but said he may do posterior because it will be less chance of infection. I don't know I'm on a walker and both hips are bone on bone. I'm thinking will I need rehab after surgery. My right hip this month and my left hip in April!!!! Boy oh boy am I scared !!!!!
Dear Jeff,
Yes it is a scary situation. Is it worth it? Oh yes it is worth it. Now I am going to tell you what i found to help me (I to am overweight) after surgery to help me move and help others move me. Congrats on the weight you have lost. I had my fears in that I knew I was at a bit of disadvantage because I had 50lbs more on me than a lot of others. I also knew it was going to be harder for me to get up and move and function. i could not find any information for the over weight individual and surely had wish I had someone out there to give me a few hints. I found this web site after my second THR with in 7 weeks. Wished I had found it sooner. I will number a few hints.

#1 If you can get away with it go nude in bed. Nothing more frustration than when you cannot move becasue you are twisted in your PJ's.
2# Please have a trapeze bar above your head. This was a life saver I did not have with the first surgery.
3# Make sure your pain meds are on board before they have you get up to anything.
#4. i used my cane with the straight top to move my leg for me. this again was a life savor getting into and out of bed and getting comfortable in bed. I slept with my cane.
#5. Move yourself. Do not let ANYONE hurry you up to do anything. Take it slow. When someone else moves you they do not know how far they can take you until you verbally let them know. You moving yourself if you can do it is a lot less painful.
#6. Ice packs. Yes the hospital has one or maybe two for your use but go down and buy about 6-6" by 8" to have even more to use at the hospital. Learned this second time around to. That way when my nurse was busy my family went down and replaced my ice as needed. Put your name on them.
#7. Friction is your enemy. If you are going to wear pj's make them satin or silk if you can, much easier moving in and out of bed for sure.
#8. Use light covers. Use an electric blanket if you must. If the covers are to heavy it get frustrating trying to move in bed until your leg gets stronger. Do not leave the electric blanket on to long or it can cause an increase in pain. Think of it like a heating pad with only 20 minutes on in an hour.
#9. Get up and walk. Believe it or not getting up relives pain. At least for me it did. When I repositioned, took med's used ice and still hurt getting up and moving really helped. I still do this.
#10. have moist disposable wipes handy in the bathroom. Saves a lot of time spent taking care of yourself.
Remember this is very doable and very much worth going through. Being scared is part of it. Like people have told you thinking about it is the worst part. that is why I had both my done so close together. You have done great things this last year with losing pounds and now getting your hips fixed so you can regain more mobility. You are my champion and I look forward to watching your progress. You will do great and I hope my hints help. Talk at you later,
Jan
 
@bayfoxnw Hi again! I personally found these hints to be very helpful. That idea of sleeping with your cane is intriguing. As for reducing friction, I can see your point with using satin or silk; problem is they may be much warmer than cotton. All interesting... Thanks.
 
@bayfoxnw Hi again! I personally found these hints to be very helpful. That idea of sleeping with your cane is intriguing. As for reducing friction, I can see your point with using satin or silk; problem is they may be much warmer than cotton. All interesting... Thanks.
I forget I live in the Northwest. Even with that I am one of those strange people who sleep with an open window and fan on. I was brought up in an old farm house with no heat or insulation upstairs so I got use to sleeping in a very cold area. For those of you in warmer climates maybe you have fabrics that would fit the bill. I slept with teh cane so I could reposition myself without calling on my hubby or the nurse. I also have a bad right shoulder so this helped me move my leg and steady it. They have foot movers but they are like dog leashes and they are not sturdy or steady enough esp for a big girls leg. The Z cane as I call it fits the bill and moves your leg without movement that hurts so much the first few days or week.
 
Oh I almost forgot. I turn the cane upside down and hang onto the footed part and place my foot onto the cane hand grip which is straight and an easy on and off for your foot. Physical therapy could not believe what I could get done with my cane. I got very cane efficient before surgery. Sorry I forgot to include this in my list of hints.
 
@Bayfxnw. Ha ha... In my part of the world we shiver when it hits 50 degrees!! What's a Z cane? I have one with a flat, straight handle -- not the curved type. Is this what you mean?
 
Yes that is what I mean. i call it a z cane because it reminds me of a z of all the goofy things.
 
I have placed my cane next to my bed. I learned to use it on my first surgery. It really helps moving the leg up and around.
 
Dear Jeff,
Yes it is a scary situation. Is it worth it? Oh yes it is worth it. Now I am going to tell you what i found to help me (I to am overweight) after surgery to help me move and help others move me. Congrats on the weight you have lost. I had my fears in that I knew I was at a bit of disadvantage because I had 50lbs more on me than a lot of others. I also knew it was going to be harder for me to get up and move and function. i could not find any information for the over weight individual and surely had wish I had someone out there to give me a few hints. I found this web site after my second THR with in 7 weeks. Wished I had found it sooner. I will number a few hints.

#1 If you can get away with it go nude in bed. Nothing more frustration than when you cannot move becasue you are twisted in your PJ's.
2# Please have a trapeze bar above your head. This was a life saver I did not have with the first surgery.
3# Make sure your pain meds are on board before they have you get up to anything.
#4. i used my cane with the straight top to move my leg for me. this again was a life savor getting into and out of bed and getting comfortable in bed. I slept with my cane.
#5. Move yourself. Do not let ANYONE hurry you up to do anything. Take it slow. When someone else moves you they do not know how far they can take you until you verbally let them know. You moving yourself if you can do it is a lot less painful.
#6. Ice packs. Yes the hospital has one or maybe two for your use but go down and buy about 6-6" by 8" to have even more to use at the hospital. Learned this second time around to. That way when my nurse was busy my family went down and replaced my ice as needed. Put your name on them.
#7. Friction is your enemy. If you are going to wear pj's make them satin or silk if you can, much easier moving in and out of bed for sure.
#8. Use light covers. Use an electric blanket if you must. If the covers are to heavy it get frustrating trying to move in bed until your leg gets stronger. Do not leave the electric blanket on to long or it can cause an increase in pain. Think of it like a heating pad with only 20 minutes on in an hour.
#9. Get up and walk. Believe it or not getting up relives pain. At least for me it did. When I repositioned, took med's used ice and still hurt getting up and moving really helped. I still do this.
#10. have moist disposable wipes handy in the bathroom. Saves a lot of time spent taking care of yourself.
Remember this is very doable and very much worth going through. Being scared is part of it. Like people have told you thinking about it is the worst part. that is why I had both my done so close together. You have done great things this last year with losing pounds and now getting your hips fixed so you can regain more mobility. You are my champion and I look forward to watching your progress. You will do great and I hope my hints help. Talk at you later,
Jan
Thanks for all your helpful hints. I need to know these things . how are you getting along now
 
I am doing well. At 3 and 1/2 weeks out I am still having pain but a lot less at times then when I first had surgery. It depends on what I do or don't do within my day. Yesterday I walked up an incline with canes and today I am not. Pain increased so taking a one day break and will try again tomorrow. I am taking it slow. Like I say I am not in a race. I am so happy with my range of motion I have in my hips. the pain is a different pain in my hips and the same pain in my lower back. I feel this will settle down in the following months. I ice and ice and ice again esp right after exercises. I also made homemade granola last night with the help of my hubby. You have to keep things moving inside as well as outside through the healing process. I have granola for breakfast or raisin bran and the last thing I have at night is granola or raisin bran. I so do not want to get stuffed up if you know what I mean and neither do you. It can be very painful and so preventable. My hubby and I have what we call midnight snacks of sliced up oranges and apples one each through out the evening. Also I always have water or fluid of some kind I drink through out the day. Most important. I always say taking a stool softener does not help if you do not drink fluids to let it work. You need water in your bowl to keep things soft. That is where the oatmeal, bran, fruit and water come into play. There is a good article in this site to give you more information on this subject. Hope this helps. Have a good day all!
 
@jebrig3164 You might want to consider Anterior approach, less post op restrictions. I wish you all the best. I did not know what to expect so there was no fear going into the operation for me. Unfortunately for me the pain is more than I expected even after 5 weeks.
 
I did not have anterior approach - it was called anterior-lateral - pretty good sized incision but its on my side. And at 4.5 weeks - I'm really doing well. Just allow yourself a few weeks and it won't matter what type surgery you have. Most important is to use an approach that your doctor is confidant about and has a lot of experience with.
 
We'll I got 12 days and I'm terrified but what can I do put bit off ? I'm in so much pain right now it's probably 12 on a scale 1-10. Both hips are shot I here all these miracle healing stories about the pain not as bad as the pain before surgery I hope it's like that for me!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom