TKR Darth Vader Knee on the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Monday I had TKR and today is Friday. I am doing the Bonesmart thing--rest, ice, elevate, meds by the clock, not allowing anyone to make it hurt, and that is certainly working for me! My PT yesterday discovered that my Oxygen saturation was low so I have a new Oxygen tank and tubes in my nose (but that is not terribly uncommon here in a high-altitude city.) I'm walking with a walker about 15 feet from the bed to the potty several times a day and I have not needed assistance the past two days. I was very happy to take a shower today--it was glorious! I was grateful for my sister's help with the shower chair. Sleeping is challenging for more than a couple of hours at a time but this forum prepared me for that. I am enjoying a variety of podcasts and, of course, the Bonesmart forum posts!
And one more thing that I might want to remember in the future--the Legion is my knee's model name. The recovery thread seems like the right place to record that kind of information since I'm pretty sure my brain won't retain that kind of memory.
 
Very true--a good place to record that.
Yes, that first shower is so exciting! Your fellow Bonesmarties totally get that. :)
 
Oh that shower! Yay! And so great that the PT caught the low oxygen. Not uncommon here at all. Im sure it will help healing.
 
I am 9 days post-surgery and I am feeling more capable than I thought I would at this point! I am getting around the house pretty well with a walker and sometime use a cane. I use a rolled up towel to lift my leg in and out of bed--straight-leg lifts are not happening yet. I'm icing most of the day and I never thought I would actually like icing but, wow, does it make a difference in my pain. So I, yes, I like ice. I have stopped setting an alarm to take oxycodone at night but about every 4 hours I naturally wake up to take one and I keep an every-4-hours schedule during the day. Last week I was taking twice as many pills every 3 hours. Reducing the amount and frequency definitely helped reduce the weird dreams and I'm not feeling more pain. The shower is still the most glorious thing. I showered independently for the first time today. I'm delighted I can do that! I feel like I'm making good progress and look forward to having staples removed next week.
So far I have avoided over-doing it. I'm wondering if one knows *during* the over-doing it or if over-doing it is something you can only know *after* you have done it? I'd like to avoid joining ODIC if I can!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
If you think you are overdoing it, you probably are. Most realize they overdid it when it is too late, the deed is done. You are still in the early days so take it easy.
Glad to hear you are starting to feel better, and have been able to reduce your pain meds.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you are making fine progress.:thumb: Just don't get cocky. :wink:
 
Joining the ODIC is pretty much a rite of passage for a knee replacement. There is a secret handshake for admittance, but you have to figure it out on your own! Sometimes you find yourself at the meeting with no idea how you got there! LOL
Seriously, take it easy. Go slower than you think you need to because, in my experience anyway, there is a very fine line between feeling ok with increased activity and becoming suddenly exhausted and in pain.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It sounds like you are making fine progress.:thumb: Just don't get cocky. :wink:
Thank you to everyone who advised about avoiding ODIC! Here I am 16 days post surgery and I am feeling pretty good. I am really trying to remember to take it easy, rest, ice, elevate and not get too cocky! So far I believe I have avoided ODIC. I'm kind of surprised (delighted!) that I can walk without cane or walker, I can manage the discomfort with ice and ibuprofen, and I can do all my self-care tasks including (now that I'm off Oxycodone and the Oxygen supplementation it created) driving! Night time is still pretty restless and I usually need some ibuprofen about 2 or 3 am but that is a small complaint and I'm able to go back to sleep within an hour or so. My extension is good (0 degrees) but my flexion is only 65 degrees. I'm not caught up in the numbers and know the flex will get better as the swelling decreases. In the past few days I have had a trip to the doc to get staples removed, a quick visit to the grocery store and I went out to lunch with a friend today. I feel like I'm getting my life back!
 
Pretty amazing to be on ibuprofen alone at two weeks! Are you in PT ?
Yes, I'm surprised that Advil alone is all I need along with rest, ice, and elevation! I've had in-home PT until this week and I will start out-patient PT Wednesday. I do stretching (gently) and a few other exercises every day and I always ice afterward. I'm learning that the more active I am, the better I sleep at night so I'm trying to walk the fine line between overdoing it and not doing enough to get good sleep. It's tricky, huh?
I drove today and was at a luncheon for about 3 hours and (another surprise!) I'm not exhausted! Thinking of a tiny trip to the grocery this evening :yay:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom