THR Cruising through after LTHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing more than an ibuprofen or Tylenol at night after I left the hospital.
 
@LoyalD and insexec. I was afraid that the safe answer is to tough it out flat on my back. Tomorrow will be one week post-op. Overall, my recovery time has been tolerable for pain. I do keep on a regular regemin of pain meds, and I don't do the exercises to the painful point. Thanks for your advice.
 
@ MDanico. I appreciate your kind words. I see that you are so young. Is your hip problem the result of an injury?
When are you scheduled? Best of luck to you.


I was diagnosed with Legg Calve Perthes Disease when I was 10. I had my surgery on June 24th. I'm a little under 3 weeks into recovery. It's been difficult some day but each day is better than the last! Hope you're recovery is going well!
 
I was told that I must sleep with a pillow between my knees for about 6 weeks to avoid any chance of joint dislocation. I've been lying on my back since surgery on july 7. Being in one position is annoying because my lower back muscles don't like it.
Hi there @Mountain Momma. I have found this a difficult thing to do as well and have taken the pillow from between my legs and placed it under my knees at times. It does give that lower back some relief I am finding and the fact I have my knees bent seems to stop me from rolling over on my side as well.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@fulafoto. Thanks for the suggestion. I've been doing knee bends while lying on my back to give relief to my back muscles. I'll try putting the pillow under the knees for some nap time.


LTHR July 7, 2014
 
@Mountain Momma , I have never been a back sleeper either, am a very light sleeper to boot, so knew going in it would be an issue, and it has been. I've found a work around that might help you too. Like you, my back would be killing me, as well as butt and heels. Fighting it lying there just made things worse. We have a couple of big wing chairs in the bedroom, so rather than sleeplessly fighting the discomfort, I'd just grab my iPad and go sit in a wing chair, reading here :) , then in about an hour go back to bed. Sitting redistributed the pressure to different areas, so when I went back to bed I slept comfortably until morning. (7 or so). Perhaps it will work for you too? And, there may actually be hope for back sleeping! I'm 19 days out from surgery, and the past two nights I've sensed I'm maybe getting used to sleeping on my back a little, plus I'm staying asleep longer. I see a very very dim, but definitely distinguishable, light at the end of that tunnel! Good luck...

Edited to include, "oh yes..." I am using a pillow stack under my one leg, partially to redistribute weight, and partially to combat swelling, and feel that helps as well.
 
Yet another unrealistic pre surgery expectation on my part....I was looking forward to glorious 9 hour sleep sessions, last night, I got a miserable 5 hours.
 
@Beachmusic. The wing chair sounds like perfect solution, but our only recliner is downstairs, and there isn't room in my bedroom for it. But, I have been making use of lots of pillows to create my own soft sitting place on my bed. It really helps to vary my position often.

I had my first week check up with the doc to change the dressing today. For the last few days I've had this very real itch on my surgical hip (close to the dressing). After surgery they put a waterproof (really, I thought) dressing with silver impregnated into the gauze to prevent infection. Everything is high tech these days!! I had the dressing changed on day 3 with another high tech bandage just like the first one when I came home. today when the doc looked at my surgical site (that sounds better than my itchy butt) he concluded that I had an allergic reaction to either the high tech bandage, or to something used in the OR to disinfect the area. So I got an old school dressing that has to be kept dry until Thursday (2 days). And added Benadryl and an antibiotic to my list of meds. Then he will take out the stitches on Thursday. Yeah. I made it through week 1.

LTHR July 7, 2014
 
@Mountain Momma, looking for an update from you, my friend, as I prepare for my new hip. How's everything going??


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal. Sorry I haven't posted anything in several days. I feel so happy that my bout with the allergic reaction to something used in the OR is over, and I'm really doing well with the PT. Today I'm just two weeks and one day since my surgery, and I'm sooooo glad to be on this side. I was nervous before the surgery date, but the pain level I've had since the surgery is nothing to what I was dealing with before. This past weekend, my DH and I went to Wash. State for my nephews wedding. Before the surgery, I didn't think I would be up to a road trip for the wedding, but I did just fine. Others there were surprised that I was only 2 weeks post OP. I took the walker in case I really needed it, but I got along just fine with a cane. I don't like to boast cause I feel like it's an invitation for trouble. Let's just say I'm grateful for my blessings. I'm also grateful for this online forum. I've learned so much from others' experiences.
So beachgal, your big day is Friday, July 25, right? I'll be sending prayers and good thoughts your way. And I'll be watching for your post op reports. The only bit of advice is something that I read on this forum. Pack some dried prunes in a sandwich bag. My experience was that the pills and stool softeners did not work for me. Prunes were effective. Good luck!,

LTHR. 7-7-14
 
@Poppet Thanks for the link to the article about the healing process and the stages of recouperation. I'm not feeling pain exactly in the surgical area even when walking. The muscles are still a bit sore and not nearly as strong as they need to be. Although my brain knows that I still need lots of rest, a part of me wants to keep pushing even when I'm tired. I'll be at week 3 on Monday, and I see my doctor again. I'm going to nap when I feel tired, and not feel guilty about it. Pain is not the only reason to rest, fatigue means my body wants a break.

LTHR posterior, 7-7-14
 
Absolutely @Mountain Momma - rest, rest, and more rest - you know I literally slept and napped for the first six weeks. This is major complex surgery and healing and recovery takes time. It is important to give yourself permission to rest - it is ok xx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom