Guest viewing is limited

TKR cracking and popping

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Spencieca I can't understand your US health sysyem...it looks like a "get em out the door quick n move on" sort of thing. Wonder how US drs who personally have TKRs treat themselves? Thats the cynical me talking

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
I do have to say that its not ALL docs..my HIV doc is the BEST...she is one of the top in the field..I do think that Ortho docs are a breed of their own though..I had a real nice one who referred me out to do my elbow a few years back..IF I have my left knee done I will probably go with him..we clicked..this PA at NTC and I do Not really click at all....
 
I think "clicking" with your health adviser is very important. ..clicking = trust

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
One of the surgeons in the office had zero personality---but he ws an excellent surgeon and very meticulous---I have found that many surgeons seem to have little bedside manner---but they get paid for "cutting" and not for talking, guess.

I was lucky---they other surgeon in the office, who was an All-American in football, had great bedside manner---but he did not perform TKR's or BTKR's. He did refer me to the man who did mine, who, again, luckily, was an excellent surgeon who also had a great personality.
 
The OS who gave me the SynVisc had a negative amount of personality---several of us joked that he had so little that it was like a personality vacuum and you would have yours sucked out, too.
 
@Spencieca, you are so right!
Wonder how US drs who personally have TKRs treat themselves?
Interestingly, last year we had a neurosurgeon join the forum who had a TKR. I was intrigued he was humble enough to admit he knew nothing about the subject as was open to any and all suggestions. However, he was planning to return to full duties at 6 weeks but we managed to talk him out of it! We only got him to wait an extra two weeks but he freely admitted that when he started back with just clinics he finally 'got' what we were talking about with things like the Energy Drain and time-line of recovery.

You can read his thread here, it's not long and a great read! Braindoc recovering
 
I too had glute, hip and an achey back of the leg down to the knee pain. Maggie is right about the stretches, there are some good ones online. I have done all that,including using a foam roller on the IT band. A rolling pin works too but not as well. Make sure to take pain meds if you try it because this exercise is extremely painful. My trainer at the gym does it for me using a tiger tail, that you can find in a sports store as well as the foam roller. This week, I have started to see an acupuncturist and my pain is almost gone, the first treatment brought a lot of immediate relief. If you do consider this make sure they are well accredited. Beleive it or not, some of the trigger points for that area were in the back of the lower head and just inside the ear flap. She also tens therapy on the hip, glute and back of leg. I am going again tomorrow fo my second visit and I hope to be pain free. Just for grins maybe you could massage the ear flap, not the lobe, of the affected side to see if it helps. The needles don't hurt, I was surprised. At least you know it will get easier as the atrophied muscles get stronger, just don't over do it. My trainer tells me to eat a lot of protein and I drink a smoothie every morning that contains whey protein that aids in muscle repair. I hope you feel better soon.
 
I am amused reading some of these descriptions of surgeons' bedside manner, or lack thereof. After a tough day of overextending myself, I am trying to relax, and this site always helps. I went to my surgeon on the recommendation of someone else who's wife had had him. On my first time meeting him, when all was said and done, I offered my hand to shake his. He instead gave me a warm hug, and said that he treats people, not injuries.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Aawww! That's nice! When I had my final review after my first TKR, I gave my surgeon a hug and he looked most discomforted! But maybe that might have been because in all the 6 years we worked together, I'd never tried to give him a hug before!
[Bonesmart.org] cracking and popping
:heehee:
 
I spoke to the PA yesterday and decided I was going to "kill him with kindness", I had questions regarding the upcoming MUA..he seem a bit irritated at first but then I thanked him and wished him a Happy Easter and seemed a bit less "stuffy"...
 
When I first started with my internist five years ago (Has it been that long? Wow!), I didn't really click with him, and he seemed kind of stern. As we've worked together and gotten to know one another a little better, I'm more comfortable with him. When he gave my knee a steroid injection in December, he asked if we could be friends again (the injection, as most of you know, stings a little). I was momentarily surprised, then I laughed and said, "Sure!"

I think it takes time to get a working relationship with some people, and without an ongoing opportunity, that rapport is tough to build.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It's funny, as I reflect years back, I think my issue all started with what was described as a "half of a torn cartilage." The doctor at that time, who was incredibly rude, told me to just basically suck it up. It progressed over the years to arthritis, shots, and eventually bone on bone and a TKR. Wondering now, if the issue were resolved initially, would it ever had gotten to this point. My right knee is fine. Just thinking...
 
How easy it is to remember time is the best healer. Some logic helps too - often in short supply when discomfort/pain and impatience is involved. I gave myself five days rest but also started using two gel soles in my good leg to even out a leg length discrepancy. My PT measured me and felt the 1.5cm (½inch for you imperial folks) difference was negligible, however I followed the advice of my pharmacist, bought the soles and, voila, I've got 80% less hip/IT band pain. Meanwhile my operated knee is doing well - first time in about 10 years that it's been able to support full body weight and a small squat to boot. Patience and positive thinking is definitely the key folks. Trust your body to heal itself. Best to all.
 
@SeptemberZen how well I can relate to the achy and want to cry feelings. I hope by now that you are feeling better. Have you gone back to work? How is that?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom