Guest viewing is limited

TKR countdown to freedom

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found that initial capability under the Experal very encouraging. I could raise the leg. I could bend the knee. When it wore off, I knew it was the pain of healing tissues limiting me and not something worse.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Day 2 and at home in bed..!
No two knees are alike is certainly true for me, but only in little ways. I think my tolerance to Tramadol over the last 6 weeks had something to do with my pain today with this my second TKR in the last 7 weeks, so the nurses went to Hydrocodone this morning before I was scheduled to go home, and that medication has settled me down to a comfortable level, but my pain seems to be a little more uncomfortable with this surgery, but my ROM continues to be really good, 95+. My swelling is more noticeable on this knee and I've right away started with ice and elevation. My Physical therapist comes by in the morning and we will get started. At seven weeks my left knee that was done on March 30th. is starting to feel really good, I am so grateful to be finally riding myself of all that pain I lived with...:thumb:
 
Sounds like blue skies ahead! Congrats on an excellent start.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well no surprises this morning with first at home PT, just like my left knee before, my ROM continued to decline overnight and we measured at 78 today, but I've done this before and know that will improve over the next few weeks, interesting how you forget pain, my nurses, PT, and Dr. have all said that this knee is responding very similar to the other..? So I start the rehab work all over again, but have the other knee done 7 weeks ago to motivate me along, so all is good to be on the other side...!
 
That's awesome. Great progress. I, too, have to have my other knee done as well. Bone on bone and due to the elimination of my job and insurance early 2016 I'm hoping to plan for the fall


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Optimistic1, I would do this all over again, even knowing what I know now, because living in the pain I was in before surgery was unacceptable, I don't know how I did it for so long. Don't fear your next knee replacement, you already have one brand new knee to motivate you..!
 
Thanks for the encouragement. The Dr said we can discuss the other knee after we see how I'm feeling in 5-6 was. So on follow up well have that discussion .
Awake at 4:00 am. Overdid it yesterday I think and very stiff but taking it easy todAy and looking forward to my ice machine!
 
Ankle pumps, ankle pumps, ankle pumps...!
Well today was a very good breakthrough day, I woke energized this morning and made the very best of PT, as I was kidding with Keith, he just got tougher, and it turned into healthy competition, I know we talk about the "no pain no gain" thing, but I'm an old school guy used to coaches yelling never enough, but honestly, being somewhat realistic too, I've already done this once before. Other than this deep gnawing, like somebody sawed my leg in half pain, I'm feeling great today..! We got to 99/0, and I couldn't be more thrilled. Today is 8 weeks on my left, and 1 week on my right knee, I continue to do full PT on my left knee, and will continue for probably 12 weeks, or until I manage to get as much ROM as I can. I've attached some photos of progress, one before any surgery, one 12 days after first surgery, and another showing second knee at 7 days (today)....:thumb:
Cheers gang..!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] countdown to freedom
    kneesbefore.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 137
  • [Bonesmart.org] countdown to freedom
    knee1day12.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 145
  • [Bonesmart.org] countdown to freedom
    knee2day7.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 144
Id like to hear from all my healing community about weather related pain. I got a call from my OS's nurse, she asked I was doing and then asked about my pain. I told her that I thought this knee was a bit more challenging than the other back in March. She said that overwhelmingly all patients are having a difficult time with pain. Typically I have always had more pain when weather rolls in, and sometimes really bad pain. So those of you that live in Texas or Oklahoma can relate that we have had "epic" events with weather, I cant recall anything like this in 25 years, every day is almost a sure thing for severe weather, and I'm talking every day for the 6 weeks. Anyone else having the weather knee blues too....?
 
I am one of the weird ones---the weather does not bother either of my knees, but, from what I have read from others on the forum, the weather can help us to "forecast" when things are about to change---etc.
 
referee54 and aj0114, we are having series of small powerful weather cells move through the Dallas area tonight, and my gosh, I'm ready for another hydrocodone, my lord, we need a break. For the last 10 or so years, I've been fairly accurate when the barometer take's a wild swing, and tonight is no exception, and with this knee swollen fresh from TKR just 8 days ago, its not happy.
Pray for the folks down in Houston, some stuck on I-45 right now in their cars with rising water all around them..!
 
My sinuses and ears tell me at times, especially during the winter, but the knees are quiet and just keep on doing what they are supposed to do.

However, as in my previous post, many folks who have come and passed through the forum have reported that they could know ahead of time when the weather is about to change.
 
I'm not sure about mine. It's never been a barometer before. I'm in Central Texas, south of Waco and east of Temple. You're right, the rain keeps on rolling through. I can't tell if it's telling me anything about the weather or not. It bothered me more than usual this morning, but the day was uneventful (after last night's tornado, that was fine).


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
It's crazy weather wise...here in SK Canada We are waiting for some rain to help with wild fires in the north, my knee is 5 weeks old tomorrow and its at the crazy itchy stage, so I'm icing for a different reason tonight, I feel changes in weather usually in my hands, and they were aching today..goes to show we should listen to what are bodies are telling us, mines saying its bedtime right now so good night
 
We have friends in Houston, my daughter in Abeline and a house in San Antonio and all I can do is pray. I wish there was a way to send all that water to California. They are so desperate for water.
 
Husband is heading to San Antonio today to take care of our house there. We anticipate it will be fine, but with all this rain, the lawn is going to be a nightmare.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I was weather sensitive for a while with my first knee but it went away.
 
Hello gang..!
This Monday morning will be 13 weeks LTKR, and 6 weeks RTKR, I'm still doing a minimum of two PT sessions a day, down to Tramadol 3 times daily as well as Advil, walking about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile daily, and riding the bike on the trainer for about 10min. right after every PT session. I've lowered the seat on my bike about 4 inches from its normal position. Before surgery I was at about 90/0 on my left leg, and 115/5 on my right, the reason for all my work is first to get the best results from my surgeries, and also ROM, I'm not going to be one of those that get heel to the butt ROM, but I've managed myself up to 120/0 on the left and 120/3 on the right, and I'm thrilled, I suppose I'll continue to work on PT for some time to come, but the things that give me the most immediate results are a skateboard I have that I roll my foot back and forth, the bike for sure, and gravitational knee stretching before those god awful heel slides. Attached are a few photos, one an X-ray of my new Biomet Vangaurd XP's, and the other is my skateboard setup, great for ROM. I hope all are on their way and getting through this most challenging surgery with good spirits. Thank goodness for Bonesmart...!!!
Catch you all soon....
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] countdown to freedom
    New Knees.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 175
  • [Bonesmart.org] countdown to freedom
    20150627_100502.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 144
Amen. I don't know where I would be. Xxx great update.


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom