Guest viewing is limited

TKR Continuing search for knee revision specialist in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already suggested you tag Jamie, giving her your post code, and she may be able to suggest some revision surgeons for you.
Yes, I remember your suggestion, Celle. Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "post code"?
 
Ah ... post code = zip code. My post code is 10014 (West Village here in Manhattan. Nice place to live, but ever since St. Vincent's closed, was torn down and turned into luxury condos we no longer have a hospital with intensive care capabilities nearby. Anything beyond low-to-mid-level emergency care requires a trip uptown in an ambulance or cab).

Looks like, despite everyone's advise and my own gut instincts, I may have to return to the Hospital for Special Surgery (scene of the crime for my problematic TKR) if I want to find an OS who both specializes in revision of initial TKR AND accepts Medicare. Looking at Drs. Geoffrey H. Westrich and Peter K. Sculco. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks as always to all.
 
Hello All:

It's been a few months since my last posting in October (a congrats to a fellow member on her successful surgery and an update on my status - TKR of left knee, June 2016, now declared "unstable" by the doctor who did the THR of left hip in November 2017). Things have only gotten worse physically, and more discouraging as I search for a surgeon highly experienced in revision to do the much needed work. Here's where I stand (and perhaps it's time to name names):

Mathias Bostrom at HSS was the surgeon who did the TKR back in 2017. He was very cordial, has a very high rating among patients and specialists, and a low rate of failures. By the third month I knew something wasn't right and I was part of that small group of failed joint replacements - inflexible, swollen knee; constant click/shift when moving leg; stumbling, uneven gait and inability to walk up/down a single flight of stairs without aid of a hand rail. I met with Bostrom numerous times over the next year-and-a-half. He insisted that the knee was stable, and the problem was a product of my deteriorating left hip. He suggested I undertake a procedure at HSS's Radiology Department, wherein when my left hip would be anesthetized and my left knee would be revealed to be devoid of pain. I told him to schedule the test at a time of his convenience. I took the test, the pain persisted, but neither Bostrom nor anyone from his staff was there to note the results, even though his office was just down the hall from the Radiology Department. He had scheduled the test for a time when no one from his office be be around! When we spoke the following week I confronted him with that negligence, but he had nothing to say and our communication ended.

After a few more months of continued pain, and despite working with a trainer who himself had had his left hip replaced, my left hip deteriorated so badly that I went and had THR of my left hip in November 2017 by Dr. Jonathan Vigdorchek at NYU Langone (my trainer's surgeon and, ironically enough, a former student of Bostrom's!). Surgery went well, but I told Vigdorchek that it would never get close to even 75% recovery until the problem with knee replacement was addressed.

Fast forward to March 2018. On a photo shoot at Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia I bent sideways to take a shot, avoiding putting weight on my left knee by leaning into my right knee, and then crying out in pain. Stumbled around Philly for the next two days, saw Vigdorchek upon my return to NYC. He said I had a tear in that knee, as a result of a "complex degenerative medial miniscus." Gave me shot of cortisone, examined the TKR and declared it to be "Unstable." "But all this time you've been telling me it's stable," I said. But, like his professor before him, he shrugged his shoulders and had nothing to say (other than "I do revisions.")

So I've spent the rest of this year looking for someone to do the revision - someone with extensive experience in that procedure. Contacted Dr. Geoffrey H Westrich at HSS, but when I told him the initial work had been done by Bostrom he refused to see me, saying that he "did not see colleagues' patients." Vigdorchek didn't have the experience I was seeking, and then HE moved to HSS, making him doubly ineligible.

A fellow musician and former nurse at Columbia suggested I see Dr. Roshan Shah. He too came with high recommendations by patients and other specialists. First meeting went well, if somewhat formal. Thorough exam, removed fluid buildup in my right knee, gave me another cortisone shot and sent me on my way to have x-rays done. Saw him the following week; he hadn't reviewed the x-rays. More importantly, he completely denied having removed fluid/given me a shot, so insistently that his assistant had to pull the chart from my folder to convince him otherwise. He chalked it up to "having just returned from Europe and suffering from jet-lag," and sent me off to have a CT scan. What might be done about my knee? "Well we could do this, we could do that ... maybe we'll just open you up and see what we can do." As I walked to have the CT scan done I'm thinking "Man, if you were that zonked out from jet-lag you should have rescheduled my appointment. I want my doctor operating on all eight cylinders!" Had the CT scan done, called his office and cancelled the follow-up appointment and asked to have all medical records sent to me.

Another musician-friend (and Director of Medical Nutrition at Columbia) suggested I call H. John Cooper at Columbia, but he couldn't see me until sometime in the spring 2019. Told my friend, and said he would speak with the doctor. NG, I'm afraid. Apparently, I'm also blackballed at Columbia (where I was born, for God's sake!!).

So here I am now, wondering what to do. Hate to have it done outside NYC, if just for the inconvenience of travel for follow-up visits. I'm thinking about contacting Scott Marwin at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases. Some good comments about him on this discussion board (and I think my standing is still good at NYU). Not too crazy about that bow tie that he shown wearing. What would you suggest?
 
@aecknyc
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Last edited:
Sorry to hear you continue to have challenges with your TKR and finding a surgeon specializing in revisions or complex joint reconstruction.
I am going to tag @Jamie for you, I see you left your zip code earlier for NYC 10014, she may be able to help you locate someone outside of HHS, or outside of NYC depending on how far you are willing to travel.

Jamie is away from BoneSmart for a few days, and will respond when she returns.
 
Last edited:
Sometimes the best way to find an OS who is really good and specializes in revisions is by knowing someone who has had a good result from a particular Dr. That's how I found mine and so far, although it's really early in my recovery I'm very happy with the results.

Not sure if you know anyone who has had a revision?

So sorry that you are going through this .I know what it's like when your tkr is just not right. From the beginning I knew there was something very wrong with mine.

Hope you are able to find an excellent revisionist.

I would recommend my OS but he's in S FL and not sure if you want to travel that far. :).
 
@aeknyc I'm not sure the distance you are willing to travel....but look up Dr. Nicholson at StonyBrook University in Long Island....He is the chief of OS there and is phenomenal....very caring and will take on cases that no-one else wants to do....excellent staff as well and very thorough
 
Thanks to all for your replies (and thank you, Pumpkin, for re-directing my email to the most effective thread. I'm still a little uncertain about how this post-op forum works). The name Nicholson has a familiar ring. He may have an affiliation here in NYC. I'll have to research that. I know personally only a few people who've had TKR or THR (mostly performers, athletes and high-challenge travelers like myself), and no one who has gone through revision. That's why something like the BoneSmart forum is of such great value. My thanks to you all for your input and support. I'll keep you informed of my search.
 
@aeknyc,
I was having a normal recovery until I injured myself around 6 weeks standing up and turning too fast, almost falling. I tore 2 ligaments, and have sensory nerve damage. I was doing OK the week after until I saw PT, they thought I had a sprained ankle. He performed a movement for ankle sprains. The next day I could not walk. A MRI diagnosed the torn tendons (made worse by the above procedure). It was a long recovery from there, with constant knee pain. Saw 4 OS's specializing in revisions and was diagnosed with flexion instability, leading to my revision.
My primary implant was a bit large, this was not the issue with my knee. The injury caused the flexion instability by tearing and stretching ligaments.
The revision is not perfect, it is a lot better than the first TKR.
 
Last edited:
@aeknyc, BoneSmart recently posted an article about a man that had both knees replaced at 59 and 62. He is a coach and manager for the Staten Island Basketball League; plays basketball 3 times a week. He used Dr. Scott Marwin (NYU Langone Orthopedic Center) for the first one and Dr. David Mayman (Hospital for Special Surgery) for the second one. Try to find the article.
 
I'm thinking about contacting Scott Marwin at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases. Some good comments about him on this discussion board (and I think my standing is still good at NYU). Not too crazy about that bow tie that he shown wearing. What would you suggest?
@aeknyc, see my previous post about Dr. Scott Marwin at NYU.
 
Sorry it took me so long to get back with you! I was out of the country for a couple of weeks and came home with a really bad virus that is just now getting better.

I think Scott Marwin would be an excellent choice for you to at least talk with. If you'd like to speak with our BoneSmart Spotlight member that Cementless mentioned above, I'm pretty sure that he would be happy to talk with you either via posts here on the forum or on the phone. The member's name is Craig Raucher and his story is here.
 
Jamie: Welcome back! I've set up an appointment in early January 2019 to meet with Dr. Marwin. I'll also drop a line to Craig Raucher to get his feedback (that's a great story he tells). HSS has gotten back to me on doctors there who might consider me for revision (so perhaps I'm entirely persona non grata there). Has anyone on BoneSmart had any experience with Dr. Michael B. Cross, who does revision at HSS, and is one of the doctors willing to see me? I've read a couple of his studies, and he seems like a "straight-shooter." He got good reviews on the various doc-review websites.
 
Update on Dr. Michael B. Cross @ HSS. At his request, I dropped off my latest xrays, CT scans and evaluative reports from my earlier visits with Dr. Roshan Shah @ Columbia. Dr. Cross's assistant says that he refuses to see me, saying (based solely on the images and report I provided him) that he "doesn't see the need for revision at this point," that I "live with it for now" and that he "doesn't do customized replacements" (which I hadn't asked for!). So, it's 2 for 2 at HSS, as far as doctors at the Hospital for Special Surgery who won't review the work of their fellow surgeons.

I meet with Dr. Marwin next week, and I'll let you know how that goes. Until then, wishing everyone on the Forum a Happy New Year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom