Guest viewing is limited

Considering surgery??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on Diclofenac for years and always had to take a Priloset every day. Recently I heard it was causing more than just stomach problems so I googled it and read the side effects, one of them having a higher occurrence of users having heart attacks. It's scary. In a few weeks I was able to slowly get off of it and am using foods that are natural inflammatories. Obviously, they aren't working as well and I'm taking more Tylenol, but I have less worries now.
 
I was originally on diclofenac- could not tolerate at all- mobic was better but again I was concerned about cardiovascular issues! Now trying Celebrex - hope it helps although I really feel I need to fix the knee itself!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hope the Celebrex works but be careful of the side effects. I don't tolerate NSAIDS and am okay with that because of the risks associated with them.
 
I tried Celebrex when Vioxx was withdrawn back in 2004 ( I was on Vioxx for four years with no idea of the potential side effects ), but did not find it worked for me. It is still a cox 2 inhibitor with a similar long term effect potential. My GP was originally very excited when Vioxx came out, she said " this won't affect your stomach!" Of course these drugs do have that potential and other serious risks such as cardiovascular and stroke. I suffered severe stomach problems in 2011 after having been on many NSAIDs over the years and can no longer tolerate any. I've had RA 25 years, off all meds at the moment, but going to go back on LDN (Low dose naltrexone) as soon as I can after this surgery. I think it's a balance of benefit vs. risk. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
I just went to the dictionary to check "valgus" and "varus." I only knew that my right knee was "knock-kneed." Now I have the proper term. I have taken diclofenac for years along with Prilosec to protect my stomach and it has worked well. The OS says he can "slightly" correct my valgus. I'll know on the other side in two weeks how much it is corrected. I am hoping that will improve my back pain. Maybe I am just a wishful thinker but I can hope.
 
I bet it will improve your back. When you walk funny it throws everything off. I also am knock-kneed and I'll ask my OS if that will improve.
 
Hello everyone! Hope u had a nice holiday weekend and are feeling well. The Celebrex is working for me as far as pain and inflammation but my entire leg still feels out of alignment and the discomfort is going down to my shin now- thinking I may have to go with this date in august after all


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I wish I could have done it when I was 45. That would have saved me almost 20 years of reduced activity. You will be glad you did it.
 
Even if the Celebrex works, it won't work forever...and maybe not even for very long. I've taken diclofenac for years. Worked great at first. I take duloxetine for a bit of anxiety...also helps with pain. I, like you...have tested negative for RA, but my rheumatologist started me on Plaquenil anyway. Didn't notice much difference, but I still take it. All the while, the arthritis kept getting worse, and now I am to a point where the meds aren't helping.

I am also 46. A mom of two. This year...I missed an important field trip with my daughter to the Art Institute of Chicago...because there is no way I could have walked it. Can't go to Costco or the mall anymore. My life is shrinking, and I don't want it to keep getting smaller, know what I mean?

Possible bad outcomes scare me to death...but knowledge is power, so I am learning all I can to minimize my risks.

Think long and hard...very tough decision. I feel better this spring and summer...but I know the pain will become debilitating again as winter comes.

Good luck! At least go ahead with the appt to discuss!
 
@Poohstew we have so much in common! Yes it is scary- and the thought of my life being limited is unacceptable - as Moms we have to do it all right?!! I feel as I'm getting slightly worse- maybe I need more exercise - yoga, swimming something.. Do u exercise? Wishing you the best!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Poohstew and @zammie24 I'm right there with you. I'm 47, mom of one 20 year old who is moving to southern California this month (I'm very happy for her, but warned her to *not* turn into a Dodgers fan :snork:).

"My life is shrinking" is a profound and excellent way to state it.

I've had to give up my bike and favorite car, which is depressing, can't walk very far, chores and cooking leave me just *done* and on ice. We're going to San Francisco this afternoon, and I'm taking crutches to help me get around.

I can't do yoga now, but I did join a pool and swim laps. I can feel my knees, but it's not weight-bearing, so I'm happy to do something!

I have my first appointment with a replacement OS this Wednesday. The thought of surgery and recovery (more to the point) scare me quite a bit; but life as it is now, scares me more.
 
Hi @LoveGiants!! Wow we should start our need new knees in our forties club wishing all the best for you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello again! So I saw my rheumatologist today and he thinks I should hold off on surgery and get on Celebrex to control knee pain and other joint pains? Thoughts? Has anyone taken it?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
i take 100mg Celebrex and it hasn't seemed to help my arthritis. However, I can only take a low dose because it clashes with Coumadin and also because I have Congestive Heart Failure.
 
@Poohstew and others, while you're waiting for your surgery or afterwards, use the electric carts or even manual wheelchairs when you go to places like the Art Institute, Costco, Walmart, the mall, etc. At some places, you will need to rent them (but that would have been worth it for that field trip!) and at others, they are provided as a service to customers. Use the tools available to keep you as active and participating in life as possible.
 
Hanging in there with Celebrex - pain is controlled but swelling continues - do I go though with surgery??!!!still so confused


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Get it done! It's not going to get better on its own.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom