Conflicted in Montana......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read through your thread and the responses all make good points. I can somewhat relate to your dilemma. I think you will know in your gut when you find the right OS and will then make it happen.

For me, when I get caught up in the details it's because I'm usually trying to make something happen that isn't quite right. I was deciding between two OS's, each had good points but one made me feel more relaxed about it. Unfortunately my GP knows little about orthopedics which hindered my search. A good recommendation from a Dr you like and respect would be very useful, they know who's good.
 
@Big Sky 1 I'm more of a don't make things more complicated than they have to be person -- keep things as simple as you can :)
I live in a small city in southern New Mexico. We have two hospitals and several general orthopedic surgeons with good reputations ; I have chosen one of them. I feel no need to look further even though there are bigger os groups south of us in El Paso or north in Albuquerque. Fortunately I have an excellent family doctor who advises us if we need to leave town for medical matters. The only thing we have ever needed to to was for my husband's heart surgery when we went to Albuquerque.
 
I visited with the Doctor in Salt Lake and he had his nurse schedule me for surgery July 19th, I left the office with my head spinning and lots of questions. All they told me to do was show up for my "pre-op" 24 hours before my surgery and also to have my blood work done by my GP before that date. When I've called with questions, I only get the scheduler.....very uninformed. I'm a detail person, and so I fine this to be a little unsettling.
I found this website of how I think this should be approached with patients at UCSF, detailed with meetings including your family. This approach I'm sure would instill confidence and calm nerves for all : https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/preparing_for_hip_replacement_surgery/index.html
 
@Big Sky 1 Oh my! I would be totally unsettled :yikes: The scheduler is usually the person who keeps the surgery diary and maybe communicates with the hospital. The person you probably need to talk to is the OS's nurse/ nurse practitioner or the hospital's joint coordinator.
The UCSF approach is closer to what I am used to and I have had two knees replaced. I have blood work and EKG orders from my family doctor to be done when I get back from Alaska, followed by an appointment for a check-up with him a week later. It is his job to give me clearance for surgery. I also have an appt with the surgeon for the day I return whose staff will then set up appts with the hospital joint replacement coordinator and whoever does the MRSA test and anything else the hospital requires. Do you know if all that will be happening in the 24 hrs before your surgery? Some hospitals are used to working with patients who travel long distances but I find it disturbing that you are not able to get answers to your questions.
Successful surgery is all in the details from the skill of the surgeon to the cleaners following infection protocols.
 
The first time I saw my OS he went through all the details with me and then the pre-op visit the week before surgery was about two hours and that was a chance to ask any other questions.

I assume that because you are travelling so far they set the pre-op just before surgery but I appreciate it doesn't give you much time to prepare. It does seem like there are a lot of problems in using this particular OS. I would take a day or two to think it over and decide if he's worth it. Make a list of questions you have and go through them on the phone with the scheduler. If you don't get answers, insist on talking with someone who can help.
 
I've noticed there's a wide range of OS styles. Some spend a fair amount of time w/patients (@Zelda had two hours- impressive), are organized, have informative PA's, supply brochures, etc to inform and answer patient questions -which inspires confidence. Yet others only do the short initial consultation and leave the patient kind of hanging out there.

These 'left hanging' patients often have questions and research like crazy which adds to the fear of the unknown factor. From a business standpoint I'm perplexed about the lack of structure. After my pre op I called the office to see if I passed and what the next step was, they were blase and so I came to BS :)
 
Ha ha! No, I had two hours pre-op. OS was only part of that - nurse, physio and blood-taking took up most of it but I didn't have any questions left afterwards. I probably had longer with OS on my first appointment as he took me through my xray and all the risks of surgery.
I didn't have any sense of having to "pass" pre-op. They even told me I might very well have MRSA (classrooms are germy!) but that it wouldn't be a problem.
 
All they told me to do was show up for my "pre-op" 24 hours before my surgery and also to have my blood work done by my GP before that date. When I've called with questions, I only get the scheduler.....very uninformed
@Big Sky 1 If you cannot get satisfactory answers to all of your questions I would not move forward with this OS, period.

Kyle
 
Well i am also here in Mt and i feel one as pretty well taken care of, had lots of pre op stuff scheduled for me, including a joint class which was immensely helpful. My OS scheduler took care of everything, in just showed up to wherever based on the list she sent me.
Even with all that smoothness, it was still very nerve wracking. I think a major surgery sort of excludes feeling a sense of confort, at least for me. I was a basket case before the big day
 
I'm feeling better, I had a good conversation with my Doctor's surgical nurse/assistant. By the way I've decided to go with my first choice, a premier hip guy from Salt Lake City. I don't mind the commute because I feel like at the end of the day.....one has to feel comfortable with the surgeon and hospital, at least in my case.
I figured out that I was suffering the typical "pre-major surgery, I've never done this before angst". But now I feel good about my decision, I can work with the logistics.
It's kind of funny, over the past few days my mind keeps chatting to me "maybe you really DON'T need this surgery, you can take some pills for a year or two and then have it" But then reality steps in, in the form of a very sore hip with a grinding bone on bone limp.....yuck.
I'm trying to look on the bright side of it all, like maybe I'll enjoy some amazing cuisine in the hospital,.....I hear they have some great ice cream.....etc.
Cheers!
Michael
 
Anthem Blue Cross has a case management group that called me today. The nurse was very kind, helpful and knowledgeable, she spent a good half hour on the phone with me. This coming from a U.S. insurance company, very nice.
 
@Big Sky 1, Many people fly to my surgeon in Santa Monica, CA. Could you fly to Salt Lake? That's what I would do. I'm glad you're going with this surgeon. You sound more comfortable with him. I had a top surgeon, and it was the best decision I've ever made. He is impeccable.

My follow up visit was just xrays. You might be able to have someone else do those for you locally, and email the xrays to your surgeon. I know people fly in from all over the world for Dr. Matta, so it can be done. You might want to look at his website and read the questions and answers. It made me feel much better. www.hipandpelvis.com

I didn't see a physical therapist after leaving the hospital. I just continued to do the basic PT exercises at home. They gave me a sheet of paper that listed them. I also took short walks, rested, and iced.
 
Glad you are feeling good about your decision. At my pre op two weeks before surgery they went over which meds I needed to stop taking ten days and one week before surgery and gave me a cleanser to start using five days before surgery to reduce infection risk. Will you be able to get all that taken care of?


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Thanks Hip Hip and jomarie......I have a good friend that had both hips done (anterior) by the same OS in Salt Lake City and she had great results. She and I are the same age and I'd say same fitness level so I'm hoping for a similar result. Two full days post - op in the hospital followed by four days in a hotel with a visit from a home care nurse and then a five hour drive home (her sister drove) to West Yellowstone MT. Her sister drove her back to SLC for her two week follow up.
I'm doing my "first" pre op with my GP here in Montana ten days before surgery and then my second pre op in Salt Lake the day before surgery with the OS etc. I'll get the skin scrub stuff from my GP ten days out. One area I'm a little worried about is that I have to stop taking the Declofinac 2 weeks before surgery, hope I can get by with Tylenol after that.
It's still strange for me to think that overall I'm really fit and healthy until last January when I woke up one morning with a sore hip for the first time in my life. I'm just so glad it can be repaired. From time to time over the past month I've thought......I can wait, I don't need to have surgery now. But then I wake up every hour like last night in pain and I'm glad that I'm having this done next month.
 
That's great that you have a good friend who had such a positive experience with your OS. It helps to see people you know who have recovered well from this surgery. I know what you mean about the pain at night. I used to dread going to bed for that reason. Now I sleep straight through, like a child. I'm excited for you. I think things will go beautifully. It's nice that you have rides to Salt Lake City...
 
From time to time over the past month I've thought......I can wait, I don't need to have surgery now.
This I understand! I had a cortisone shot nearly 3 months prior to my surgery. I walked into the hospital in no discomfort whatsoever! My hip felt fine! I'd spent a good deal of time the week before asking myself 'What the h*ll are you doing?'. But then I remembered that shots wear of and osteoarthritis doesn't get better, only worse :)

Kyle
 
No more conflicted thoughts, what a relief!
I've been on the pre-op side since March when I went into the Ortho Doc. and he came into the room with my x-ray and stated "your right hip is shot"!
I've been on the journey to find the right OS, and I'm very happy with my choice. So, I'll be jumping (pun?) to the other side (post op) this coming Tuesday morning.
I've learned so much from this site, the least not being that their are a lot of good, compassionate people here.
It's been an interesting little journey to date, such as attending a "Total joint replacement" class at the local hospital and walking out halfway through.... By the way, it's not the hospital where I'll be going for my new hip.
Thanks to all, I'll try to detail my adventure once I wake up, I've been visualizing being like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz......I'll click my ruby slippers (ted hose) together and I'll be home in my bed in Kansas.....errrr Montana.
Cheers!
Michael
 
That's exciting. I'll be watching for your posts. You'll fall asleep, wake up, and your hip will be done. It's such a relief. We'll all be thinking of you on Tuesday. You'll be great.
 
@Big Sky 1 I am so glad you have come to a decision that you are confident about. I wish you the best and will look for your recovery thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom