High Tibial Osteotomy Concern it's not right

@sayle,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
I am getting a loud click/crack like my knee moving back to place or something clicking into place.
It's not unusual so don't worry about it unless it begins to hurt!
 
Hey guys just a quick update as 14.5 weeks from operation..
The clicking and cracking has reduced just odd time especially if am sat up in car driving for a while or sat in seated position for long periods, am still on 2 crutches as per physio but have been trying using 1 when at home to prepare for the change next week.
I see consultant on 1st for another zero check bones fully healed now.
Just keeping up physio and doing walks over weekend went away for few days did between 5-8 thousand steps a day.... I still get discomfort in knee esp when tired and lots swelling when walking around.

My main stress other than recovery is work as am a nurse so obviously very demanding job and want to be fit and ready when go back, yet feel work trying push to rush me back. My family and party are supportive and keeping me stable.

Main thing I feel it’s goin good and after 14 weeks I managed have a shower when was away as easy access which was amazing haha
 
Hello,

Have any of you had issues with your ankle after your HTO? I am in week 7 and I still have pain at the surgery spot of course, and lots of nerve pain. But my ankle seems to hurt more than my leg. I have lost some Range of motion in it as well. It gets swollen at time but the swelling isn’t too bad. Just seeing if this a common issue. This is my 4th knee surgery on this leg and I haven’t had any ankle issues with the prior surgeries.

-Chris


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had issue with ankle which resulted in me tearing muscles in calf as well but I had a few weeks rest and it got better and strong

Good luck
 
Hi sorry for the post am week 38 I went back work about 5 weeks ago on reduced hours but return to normal now.
After the above post everything settled but I still have discomfort and aches in my shin (operation site) does anyone else still have these aches 8 months later am still taking paracetamol and tramadol (came off gabapentin end of December but gp said wait to reduce rest while getting back work)
I also still find applying ice especially in bed helps settle the aches to help me sleep.

Just be nice know am not alone as it makes me anxious it’s never goin get better

Am still doin stretches and exercises as discharged from physio December 31st but obviously as nurse I walk about 8-10 thousand steps just on shift so exercise is not as hardcore as when I was off recovering.

Thanks in advance
 
@sayle If you are back to working full time I would skip the exercises. You are getting plenty of exercises just doing your daily activities. Spend the time resting - you are still healing.
 
Thanks I was thinking that guess cos physio said if stop will go backwards so worried me a bit that need do more.

Ya for reply
 
I agree 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day is more than enough exercise. Your physio is right, if you go backwards you are doing too much and need to adjust your activity.
 
i had a friend who has a HTT and it took forever for her to be out of pain, almost a year.
 
Oh that’s good know
As a nurse I feel I should be off the meds am doing better, but I get days when ache becomes so bad the pain takes over. My go said am doing great just takes time, think cos I struggled nearly 2 yrs before operation I want this discomfort and pain gone now but know it takes time
 
I want this discomfort and pain gone now but know it takes time
Yes, you are correct that it takes time and there is nothing we can do to cut back that time. Just celebrate each new accomplishment. That helps.
 
I do my girlfriend always reminds me of that and how much accomplished
Thanks for the advice and help
 
I struggled nearly 2 yrs before operation
The longer the pre-op struggle, the longer the recovery. It took you 2 years to get to that pre-op state. Allow yourself time to recover from that long struggle.
 
well I had my operation last June 2018 and had some set backs in the recovery phase due to cramp and pulling muscles in leg and bone taking longer than planned to heal.
So I seen the consultant in April 2019 and was happy with my recovery and discharged me.
I was discharged from physio in January just before j went back work.
As a nurse I can be up for long periods and stood still while doing dressings for 1-4 hrs at a time.

My worry is I still get aches and pains in my operation area and knee to the point am still taking regular paracetamol and tramadol with am occasional oramorph when it gets too much. Anyone else still like this?
Also sometimes my leg aches so much after work I can’t do anything else so feels like I hit a wall, again anyone else have this?

Ano the dr said some people have operation and it doesn’t improve or work but after all the good I had it just feels like I become stagnant in recovery as some days it aches so much I can’t face doing anything on days off cos I give everything in work to my patients.

Sorry for long post guess I just need know am not alone and others had same or if it’s not right how to fix an help it.

I admit since operation my anxiety and moods have been in overdrive my partner says since operation been depressed and keep trying to get better to fight it again is it normal
 
I would think it’s just going to take more time for your procedure to heal.

I fell and broke my arm when I was 40, my first and last rollerblade expedition while on vacation. (My teenage daughter told me it was not a good idea!) It was just a little break near the elbow and I was only in a cast for 10 days. It took a full year to stop feeling symptoms of that little break.

Just think how much more of a controlled assault your procedure was to your leg. Plus your job puts a lot of stress on your leg.

My partial knee replacement was not anywhere near done healing at the one year mark, and I’ve even seen more improvement since the 2 year mark.

Long recoveries do take a toll on us with anxiety and depression. Many of us recovering from these big procedures feel it. I think doctors are focused more on the surgery itself and how the technical healing looks to them and they don’t really think about all the rest of what we go through in recovery.

Best wishes that it will heal well. Your doctor was not worried, try to trust that all is well.
 
When I put stress and extra work on my foot and ankle, they will still ache. I credit it to arthritis in them now. Fun, fun.
 
I am a year out with full RTKR. I have bad days in my job. Just a couple weeks ago I was icing at lunch and after work. I don’t know what caused the pain and ache.
I’m on my feet similar to you I also am lifting and twisting. I work in a flower shop as a operations manager and work average of 10-12 hour days. I think for me it’s a matter of realizing that it’s not going to be the same. Everything takes time so try not to worry. And that everyone is different. I still take pain meds when I need them. My Dr told me a year... I now know better. Yes I still worry but I know I can ask questions here and get honest answers.
You can do this! Give yourself a pat on the back for all you’ve already done. Welcome to the forum. Ask away!
Robo
 
@sayle ,
You'll notice that, once again, your newest thread has been merged with your original recovery thread. Please don't keep starting new threads.

For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. Please do that, so you can find your thread.
 
@sayle ,
I'm sorry you're still having problems. A high tibial osteotomy has a notoriously difficult and painful recovery and this recovery can take longer than a year.

Nursing is very demanding of knees, with long shifts and long periods standing. People who've had knee replacements find this, too.
It's only been 15 months since your HTO and your leg possibly still needs more time to continue its recovery. Progress will be very slow, but that's the nature of later recovery.

Have you been back to your surgeon with your concerns? If not it could be a good idea to do so.
 
Thank you for the advice and support means loads to have help and chat from others outside my circle
 
Back
Top Bottom