Computer assisted TKR - what to expect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowshoer

I am headed for my first tkr on Monday. I am 51, this is computer assisted, and my surgeon says I will probably be in the hospital for one night. Incision will be about 4 inches, and full recovery 6 months.

My question is: for those of you who have had other major knee surgeries, how does this compare? I thought my TTT/LRs were brutal - I was NWB for 3 weeks, had to work like crazy to get ROM back after 6 weeks in the immobilizer. Will this really be more difficult?

I'm sorry, @Snowshoer.....can you please tell me what "TTT/LRs" are? I'm assuming the "LR" is a lateral release, but not sure about the rest of it. It would help if you don't use acronyms other than the very familiar TKR or THR. Many of our members and guests won't know what you're talking about if you do.

As far as recovery, the computer assist will have little to no impact on your recovery. There will still be a lot done to your knee joint and it's going to take a while to recover. "Full" recover is a relative term. Most surgeons agree that it takes at least a year for "full" recovery. However....a majority of TKR patients report that they begin to feel normal again around the 6 month time frame, so maybe that is what your surgeon is telling you.

Here are the basic recovery articles from our BoneSmart Library. Read these and you'll have a much better idea of what you're in for. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions that come up as you go through the articles. Best of luck on your surgery and we'll look for you on the recovery forum soon!

First are the mantras ....

- Rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And then the articles in order of importance.

Group A
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Progression of activity for TKRs

Group B
How Long Does Healing Take ......
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevating your leg to control swelling and pain
Using ice

Group C
Knee Replacement - Where Am I in Recovery?
So What Is It Going to Take? The Five “P’s” of Knee Recovery
Work “Smarter” and not “Harder”
About recovering a knee - from one who knows!
Some suggestions for home physio (PT) and activity progress
Myth busting: The "window of opportunity"

Group D
MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) and adhesions
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's Worth the Wait for ROM
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

Sorry. I thought since this was a knee forum where people are generally headed for Total Knee Replacements, everyone would know some of the more common medical terms. It's a pain to write out "Tibial Tubical Transfer", Range of Motion, etc. Oh well.

Yes, I've read the articles - most of them anyway, but didn't find my question answered. Maybe someone who has had a Tibial Tubical Transfer can chime in? ;-)

My OS does computer assisted navigation but not minimally invasive surgery. I had an extra small spot on my calf where they attached one of the sensors otherwise you'd never know. It healed quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not just a knee forum but a knee replacement forum! Bit of a difference there. But the LR also stands for lateral release. We do actually have a glossary of terms abbreviations and acronyms.

Though we've had a few members who've had the procedure, I don't believe we have any of them are active right now. However, I know a bit about TTT and I also know it is, as you say, a brutal procedure and recovery. But luckily TKR isn't and the recovery shouldn't even be uncomfortable let along brutal. Read the articles Jamie left for you and make sure your follow them to the letter. If you do, you will have a much easier time of it than you did previously.

Welcome to BoneSmart!

I appreciate you letting me know what TTT stood for. Of course, Jo....with her 50+ years in orthopedics would know what it means, but I didn't and I felt others may not as well. It's been added to our thread with abbreviations now.

I really didn't mean that you had to spell it out all the time. It's fine when you have a medical term that's not frequently used (ROM actually is used a lot here, TTT is not), if you spell it out once with the abbreviation after it and then you can just use the acronym from that point on. It's not a biggie, so don't worry about it. It's much more important that you're here and that we can get you the answers you need.

I had a computer assisted tkr with minimally invasive procedure---my scar is 3.5 inches long. I could stand up and walk on the leg from the first day. I used crutches for a week or so, but then just walked. I sometimes used hiking poles when in the woods, just because my balance was not great. (I had to walk the dog, hence going into the woods!)

I had a friend who had a TTT and I think you will have less pain with a tkr, as amazing as that seems. Also, you will be weightbearing right away which is really a relief compared to dragging your body around on crutches!!.

I also had minimally invasive and computer aided. My hospital stay was two nights because of a reaction to the antibiotic, otherwise it would have been an overnight for me as well.

The minimally invasive approach meant less moving and manipulating the joints; the benefit is said to be less tissue damage, less pain and quicker healing.

And I was was walking within 30 minutes of being back in my room; of course, to the bathroom. :heehee:

The computer aided portion assists in aligning everything up. My leg is now within 1 degree of being perfectly straight, or as I like to say, I am within one degree of perfection!
:SUNsmile:

I had computer assisted surgery, but not minimally invasive. I had a revision and the surgeon cut along my previous scar, but he had to enlarge it at the top. As well as the scar on my knee, I had a small scar on my shin. That's where one of the bits of computer machine was attached. It healed very quickly.

I could walk, fully weight-bearing, the next day, but I did need the walker or crutches for stability. But then, I was fully weight-bearing from Day 1 with my previous surgery, which was not computer assisted!

I thought the computer helped with the accuracy of cutting the bone and positioning the new hardware. That has to be an advantage.

I dont' know what I had, but when I looked under the bandages, I saw that the doctor had drawn blue lines going across my knees. So my incision went down my leg with these blue line going across. I'm sure it was just blue marking pen and sure looked weird.. It looked like he measured something.

Those blue lines would have been made before your skin was cut. They help the surgeon to match up both sides of your skin accurately again when he is stitching you up at the end of the operation. I had those.

I had computer aided alignment. While my incision was shorter than most, there was also about an inch long scar a couple inches above and 2 port hole sites a couple inches below as well as the knee scar. The port holes closed up so you can't see them, the upper one is visible. I was up and around on day 1 as well, however I had to use my walker for 3 weeks before advancing to using a cane. Everyone heals differently....

Tim, you are a master of the these wise little 'bonhomies'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Air185
Recent bookmarks