Comments on Exparel anyone???

Status
Not open for further replies.

B0etijlc

Country
United States United States
I'm having RTKR on Oct 6, 2014 and my Doctor is using the shot Exparel in my incision. It is supposed to last 3 days and greatly reduce pain during that time. Just wondering what experiences anyone has had after having this shot. Did the pain get worse after the shot wore off?

Thanks
Jackie

I have not had experience with Exparel, but have heard it works well. I would ask your OS how they are going to control the pain when it wears off.
All the best on your upcoming surgery, see you in the recovery forum next week.

We've had a few members report good results with pain management immediately after surgery with this drug. I agree with Pumpkln that you should ask about pain management after the first few days. I'm sure your surgeon will have options to keep pain under control for you.

I am less than 24 hours out from RTHR and had Exparel. I have not used the morphine pump once. You will need to ensure you get your regular pain meds around the clock. Overall I'm impressed!

I know I had it for the first knee, not sure if I did with the second.
For both knees, I had dramatic increase in pain (which oral morphine barely touched in the 2nd knee) well before 72hours post op. Having said that, for both knees I had fairly profuse bleeding the first night, and I think its possible that this diluted the Exparel or even washed most of it right out of my knee.

I don't know if its significant that I always take forever to get numb from lidocaine or Novocain, with the result that folks are happily drilling teeth or shoving needles in while I'm insisting it isn't time to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member