TKR Coach’s Recovery, 43 yrs old

I also like PT, exercising, working out, etc. But I learned the hard way from my first TKR that I have to dial it waaayyy back for the first few months. My recovery is going much better this time because I am not overdoing it in PT and I am not exercising at home (as hard as it is to resist). I figure that in another couple of months when my healing has progressed I'll be able to exercise and work out -- and my knee will be much happier as a result. Patience is your friend!
 
I enjoy PT which might place me in the “naughty” category on this site and enjoy doing what PT asks me to do at home which might make me a total outcast.
It's your knee and your recovery and you're entitled to do it your way.
You won't be an outcast. Just keep listening to your knee and doing what keeps it happy.
If you like PT, that's OK.

PT can be helpful, if it's the right sort.
It's the painful, over-ambitious PT that BoneSmart warns about - but you're not doing that.
 
4.5 weeks post op, progressing well IMO. Flex is 100-104, continue to gain more functional flexsion each day. Walking for the most part without a cane. Feel blessed the my extension was zero from day one without having to work at it. Can’t imagine having to work on flex and extension. Stamina is low which is expected, warm weather in Iowa allowed for a couple walks outside today which felt good for mental well being. My pre surgery ROM was to 90-95 degrees so tendons, muscles, etc are feeling the new stretch, some want to resist but we seem to be getting along.
 
You are really blessed to have a 0 extension! For a great number of people this is slow to come in. Mine was. Getting out for a walk had to feel great! You are doing well.
 
Its been awhile since I posted, so I thought I would update my progress for my own sake to help me remember what weeks 4-6 were like during my recovery.

Flex continues to improve at five weeks I was 112 passive, 107 active. I have made steady progress each week, knock on wood that this continues. Not sure what the end goal should be, prior to surgery I thought 120 but who knows. Extension has been zero and continues to be. I have gone back to stretching the leg straight with something under the ankle, as the back of my knee has discomfort from walking. I don't want to lose my extension so the stretches are my safeguard. At what point do you discuss no longer going to PT? I'm currently going twice a week and enjoy it. I still have a 5 degree lag when doing straight leg raises, so continuing to work on strengthening the quad and ROM.

I have been able to ride my bike for 10-20 minute chunks each day with little discomfort so that has been enjoyable. I then switch over to my wife's bike (standard 175 mm cranks) for 3 minutes of riding for stretching purposes, I continue to move the seat down as I'm able. I believe this was @Roy Gardiner suggestion, this is working really well both mentally and physically. This is the first time in 25 years that I've been able to pedal a bike that has not be modified with shortened cranks.

Weeks 4-6 saw the use of the cane go from 50% usage to zero. Walking gate is about 50/50. Half the time normal without a limp, the other half noticeable limp. This depends on if I'm "warmed up" or not.

Overall I'm pleased with my progress, feel blessed that there has been very little complications up to this point.
 
You are doing great.. I too, love PT and I run to one of the gyms i belong to and use the spin bike of course it's not like the typical spin class, I just pedal. Last week, I was at 115 on my bend and plus 5 on straight. Keep up the great work and recovery....
 
@Coach_HL
That is great progress.
Mind elaborating a bit about the "5 degree lag when doing straight leg raises?" That sounds interesting.
 
I'm probably not saying it correctly, but when I do straight leg raises my extension is +5 vs. 0. My extension is zero when leg is on the ground. So in my mind there is 5 degrees where my quad isn't firing good enough to hold leg at 0 degrees. I assume this will come with time.
 
Thanks for explaining. I'm right there with you. +6 and +2.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom