Close to surgery, nervous and anxious

Hi All,
I am scheduled for hip surgery on Thursday, August 31. Since April 15, my pain has been pretty bad.
However, in last few days, suddenly it feels better. Unless I walk abut 6 blks, it almost feels normal. I feel like my body is playing tricks on me. I am terrified to have the surgery. At night, I definitely have pain. I am 57, and want to lead an active life. Before this, I was very active.
Can anyone offer any advice??

I have groin pain, and also pain in my mid rump on the right side. I have 4 opinions and an MRI and xray.
The MRI shows bone on bone grade 4 cartilage loss and a large subcondral cyst. There are also other cysts in there as well. When I take ibuprofen, the pain is gone for about 12 hours.

Thanks for listening
 
You may get a better response if you start your own thread, sweetie.

I guess it's never too late to cancel surgery but from my understanding, per my OS, Grade 4, bone on bone is as bad as it gets. It's not going to improve. Not being able to walk more than 6 blocks at your age if you're in good health otherwise, isn't a good sign either.

I was Grade 4, bone on bone when I scheduled my surgery. I wasn't in constant pain 24/7, didn't take pain relievers most days, didn't use a walking aid, could usually sit comfortably and forget I needed replacement. However, the limitions I did suffer are what helped me decide on surgery. I couldn't even walk comfortably into a store, let alone shop. My world was shrinking and I'd gauge activities on how I was feeling that day. My husband and family couldn't count on me to go anywhere. Getting in and out of my car was excruciating as I had to manually lift my leg. Straightening it out immediately afterward was the worst (groin) pain I'd suffer all day. I could go on, but won't. While many people suffer siniliar pain, there are many variables.

I guess if you're not living life as you wish you could, it's time for surgery. You mentioned you have four opinions and I'm feeling it safe to assume they were all the same. Most everyone is afraid of surgery. Especially if it's your first. Scan this forum and you will read it over and over again. However, most are happy they did it, have no regrets, wish they hadn't waited so long etc. Surgery can give you your life back, a life without the limitations you are currently suffering. A fuller, happier, more fulfilling life like the one you had before. A life without the pain that only disappears for 12 hrs if you take a pill.

I wish you luck with whichever road you choose to take.....
@momcathy57
 
@momcathy57 , hello. I had my surgery on Monday 28 th Aug. Thr right posterior. A bit like you , the week prior to my surgery I did not experience my usual pain ,for about 4-5 days ,I put it down to adrenaline or something as normally I had pain everyday, and found it difficult to walk and had a permanent limp. Sure enough the pain came back the day before surgery. I was diagnosed with hip dysplasia, Which led to my arthritis about 5 years ago when I was 36. It's natural to be nervous ,I was , but I kept thinking that I did not want to continue with my current quality of life , and my condition was holding me back , so I made the decision to have thr. I'm delighted I did and I'm on the road to recovery now.I wish you the very best with whatever you decide is best for you. But please remember nerves are perfectly normal and natural, we are only human after all.
 
Good morning, time to go check-in and feeling very calm. Thanks for all of the support, see you on the post op forum in a couple of days.
 
Good Morning @vcmike
Glad you're feeling calm.
You'll be in recovery before you know it.
Best wishes!
 
@vcmike Welcome to the other side. Now the healing can begin. First days are tough but you should notice on first stand...hip pain is gone!!!
Everything else should subside. Healing wishes going your way.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom