TKR Claire's recovery journey<

In my case it was over activity that caused my 3 days of increased pain. I was pretty angry by the time I got out of the pool. I wanted to get out sooner, but they said I wasn’t done yet. And everyone else in the pool (except one lady) seemed happy to be there, so I didn’t want to look like a sissy by just leaving early. I hadn’t found Bonesmart yet, but that’s when I started googling stopping “therapy” and did find Bonesmart.

My PT experience was a waste of my time and money and caused more than one set back. I will not be going next time. Maybe not even ever again for any other issue.
 
Hi. I'm now 11 weeks post op and struggling with pain on the front of the knee when walking and bending. My GP examined the knee on Friday and said I had adhesions which were causing the pain and popping sensations. I've been signed off work for another month.
Has anyone else had this?
 
It is only 11 weeks since your surgery and I think you're bound to still have some pain.
As for adhesions - I'm doubtful. How is your ROM? I read that your flexion isn't a problem, so I don't think you have adhesions.

Sometimes I think that surgeons and PTs say it's adhesions when they can't think of any other explanation.

You probably don't need to be doing water therapy at this stage of recovery, so try staying away from that and see if you have any improvement.
 
Hi @Celle, thank you, I've avoided the hydrotherapy for 2 weeks and yes you're right, my flexion isn't a problem.
The doctor said he could feel the adhesions, he also said he thought the implant was catching on the bone but I can't see how that could happen. He offered no advice, just said time would rectify the issues.
I'm just concerned as the pains only started a couple of weeks ago and are getting worse rather than better. I'll give it a week or so and see if things improve. :chinstroke:
 
The doctor said he could feel the adhesions, he also said he thought the implant was catching on the bone but I can't see how that could happen. He offered no advice, just said time would rectify the issues.
Well, at only 11 weeks post-op, you haven't finished healing and some of what the surgeon felt was probably normal scar tissue. Usually, things like your kneecap will mobilise themselves as you heal.

As for the bit about the "implant catching on the bone" - that's just nonsense. The implants should be firmly fixed to your femur and tibia. There shouldn't be any rubbing on any bone.

He might have meant that you have a tendon that is tight and is catching on part of the implant. If that's the case, then yes, it could improve as time passes.

I think I'll ask @Josephine if she can help. She is sick with flu at the moment so it might be a little while before she can respond.

Josephine, this is Clairebear's problem, plus the quote at the top of this post:
Hi. I'm now 11 weeks post op and struggling with pain on the front of the knee when walking and bending. My GP examined the knee on Friday and said I had adhesions which were causing the pain and popping sensations. I've been signed off work for another month.
Has anyone else had this?
 
@Clairebear sorry to hear you have troubles, I hope that it rights itself in a relatively short time. I am very mindful that at anytime something can happen. :scratch:
 
The doctor said he could feel the adhesions, he also said he thought the implant was catching on the bone but I can't see how that could happen.
Well, you're a lot more intelligent than he is! In all my 56 odd years in orthopaedics, I've never been able to 'feel' adhesions! What nonsense!
 
Hi:wave:@Clairebear! I am just 12 wks and I also have tenderness on front of my knee that turns into screams when it’s overused. I also found that when I was in the pool I easily over stretched my knee (felt nice at the time) but it bothered me a few hours later. I also have an annoying popping/clunking/ clicking sound on front of my knee when I walk that my OS said is the patellar implant and not to worry about it. He said over the next year it will become less noticeable as it “finds its natural groove?!?” Not sure what that means but it did reassure me. He just checked me for any looseness and did more xrays at my 3 month check up that he said would alert him to any implant loosening. Have you had any recent X-rays? I agree with Celle that we don’t need any PT just normal taking care of ourselves around the home stuff. I really hope that you can feel better soon!!!
 
@Josephine thank you, you're so right, my surgeon said the same.

@andpeaches I had an xray today and my implant is good and secure! Unfortunately it doesn't show soft tissue problems but as my surgeon said it's still early days even though I'm 12 weeks.

Things have improved a little and I'm now walking without a limp. My knee was in a very bad way post op due to a road accident over 30 years ago, my surgeon told me today that my replacement was difficult and I'm doing well.
 
I’m glad you had a good report and that you have an understanding surgeon.

This is why we stress not to compare ourselves to other recoveries. We all had different issues going into surgery and that can affect recovery, plus we each have our own healing timeframe.

Hugs and Merry Early Christmas!
:santa hug::nativity::treestar:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom