TKR Claire's recovery journey<

Hi, I'm just looking for a little reassurance as I've had a rough couple of days.
I've been out of the house over the last 3 days, just to the shops and visiting family. I have been resting up, icing and elevating but still not sleeping well at night and falling asleep through the day.
I just feel like I've hit a brick wall! I live in the UK so PT interaction (unless you pay privately) was once a week for the first 3 weeks and has now gone to fortnightly (I'm 5 weeks post op on Friday and see my PT the same day). On my last visit nearly 2 weeks ago I was given stage 2 exercises to do at home, most of which I haven't even attempted. I've been taking the advice on here and not pushing my new knee.
My concern is that I don't feel I've progressed with my ROM since my last PT appointment.
It's hard to describe how my knee feels, it's kind of like the tight band (which I know is normal) moves over the joint and changes position and depending where it is defines my ROM. I can't think of any other way to describe it!
 
@Clairebear, what you describe is actually quite normal. Don’t get worried about ROM measurements. As long as you are able to get around and do your normal daily activities and don’t over do it in the meantime, your flexibility will gradually improve. Remember, you are not even 2 months out. Some folks seem to hit a wall around weeks 4 - 6, but notice significant improvements beginning around week 8. But every one is unique so your path to progress will be slightly different than anyone else.

Your doing fine. Just stay positive.
 
@NavyGunns thank you. I'm trying to stay positive and this forum has been a massive help.
I knew I'd struggle as my knee damage was a result of an accident when I was 19 and although I was bone on bone I managed pretty well as I'd grown used to the pain and was able to manage my 12 hour shifts without too much trouble.
Tomorrow's another day. Thanks again :)
 
Also, this is not an “every day gets better” recovery. We call this recovery a marathon, because it’s so long, and a rollercoaster, because of all the ups and downs, steps forward and backwards, even some sideways, and many days we seem to stay the same. Eventually we get to the end of this full year, on average, recovery.

Try not to get discouraged at 5 weeks. You’re doing fine and you have lots of time to improve! :console2:
 
Sorry to hear your struggles. .....sleep wise i was where you were until a couple days ago....it was the pits the deprivation. Only just turned a corner 3nights ago and the world is a better place with half way decent sleep. ...i hope it comes soon for you......

I finally pulled out the unused oxy for a night and got a solid sleep- now back to 2 x 3-4hr blocks....not ideal but I'll take it.

Get swelling down an maybe gentle stretching as you are able...no hard core exercises. A week out it will be better.
 
Hi all. 5 weeks post op yesterday & saw my PT. I'm 115 flexion and totally straight so tonnes better than I thought .
Only negative is my straight leg walk! PT says my bend is good and there's no reason to walk that way. We practiced walking "normally" but I struggled, we did have a giggle though, my PT's a great lady.
Overall feeling positive though, sleeping is getting better.
Happy weekend to you all
 
@Clairebear , great news an good results.
I get what you nean on the straight leg walk. I am still focusing when i walk to remember to bend my knee, feels weird and then brings up the odd niggle etc with tendons/ligaments ive not used for years. Oh well one day it will be done unthinking. Amazing thing re-training the body :dancy:
 
Old habits are so hard to break. I used a cane and limped for over 20 years. It took me at lease a year after I was healed before I would walk normally all the time. I would subconsciously start limping again even though my knee didn't hurt.
 
I found early in recovery I would tend to keep my leg straight when I walked, when I was tired. I no longer do that when I’m tired and I don’t consciously think about how I walk.

You’ll walk better as you heal more. :console2:
 
Last edited:
Happy days! Saw my surgeon today for my 6 week check and don't have to see him for another 12 months. I'm clear to drive and should be back to work at my local hospital in 6 weeks. He told me he used an implant called Persona which apparently is more expensive but alot better for younger patients. My ROM is now 120 - 0 and apart from having to learn to distribute my weight correctly onto my operated side again I'm feeling positive. I'm seeing my PT every 2 weeks and being referred for hydrotherapy.
Thanks to everyone who's given my advice and support in here. The best of luck going forward with your recoveries.
 
You are doing really well! Great on not having to go back to your OS for a year! 120/0 is much better than average. Good for you!
 
Hi Clairebear

New on this side but reading up on how you are doing has been really helpfull and I will now up my icing as I usually do about 30 minutes all the best with your recovery onwards and upwards.

Billy
 
@Clairebear , fantastic report, congratulations, hope the next 6 weeks continues on the same path before your return to work.
We seem to be doing very parallel recoveries re the 6 week mark. Mine is tomorrow.
PT yesterday did ROM 120/+3.
I am also allowed to drive from tomorrow.
Although not doing hydro therapy, going started going to local pool 1-2 times a week in a short while.
Finally get to ditch the stockings at night along with blood thinning injections.
Unfortunately i am back at work in 2 weeks but being a relaxed office environment i feel confident it will be ok. Yours being a hospital will be more full on so get strong in next 6 weeks.
Only hassle for me will not being able to do exercises as much, but find a way to incorporate throughout the day, hopefully.
So glad i am here at 6 weeks not back at the beg.... . Cant believe how the miniscule improvements add up
 
@Kiwigirl62 , aww that's great to hear. We've come so far haven't we?
I must admit I ditched the stockings around week 4 although was advised to keep them on for the full six weeks.
Work wise I do 3 x 12.5 hour shifts as a Healthcare Assistant on the Regional Spinal Injuries Unit. The shifts are long but I'll be on a phased return and I'll go back on half shifts for a while. I struggled alot prior to the op with pain and mobility at work so fingers crossed I'll be fine.
Good luck to you too with your return to work and the rest of your recovery.
 
@forbesy, hi and thank you.
I see from you're profile that you're a pro (knee wise)! I was googling alot after my op and felt lost until I found bonesmart.
I then learned the best piece of advice which was to listen to my knee. I'm in the UK so healthcare is "free" hence PT is minimal which to be honest has been perfect. I've seen posts on here where folks are having several sessions a week and think it maybe hinders their recovery.
I hope you're recovery goes well, take care.
 
@forbesy, just noticed you're from bonny Scotland so you'll understand the NHS .
:loll:
 
Hi. Just thought I'd post an update on my recovery. I'm 8 and a half weeks post op now.
I had a slight infection 2 weeks ago caused by a stitch which hadn't dissolved in the layer underneath my scar. No antibiotics were needed as I knew there was an issue and after a soak in the bath the stitch presented itself. I treated the area with iodine and got it checked by my gp.
I start hydrotherapy tomorrow which I think will help strengthen my muscles.
My ROM was 120/0 2 weeks ago but I think has improved a little more since.
I decided not to go see my PT anymore.
My walking is still an issue as in that I still limp but it's improving with time . I now find myself doing more things subconsciously kneewise. I even stood in the bath as I used to today.
I'm feeling more "normal" each day and even find myself forgetting I have the new knee at times which has to be a good sign I hope .
 
@Clairebear, it sounds like you are doing great! Your progress seems to be right on track for just shy of 9 weeks. I’ll bet some of your limping issues are left overs from before your TKR. The more you focus on proper walking techniques and the stronger your knee gets, the better your gait will get.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom