TKR Cindy's new knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a Texan too and wishing you great results. Hope your pt is as successful as your surgery. I did not get the flexibility I had hoped for but I do have a strong, reliable, pain free knee and I am thankful for that.
 
Glad to hear you are home! Sounds like everything is going well.
 
I think I did too much yesterday. My knees are really tight today. PT and nurse come today and I am not looking forward to that.
 
Elevating and icing?

I may sound like a broken record (do kids even know what that is nowadays? lol) but it's a great first response to pain, swelling and ODIC status.

Hang in there.... One day at a time. When that's too much to think about, focus on one hour at a time.
 
PT wasn't bad at all. Figured out I wasn't feeling well yesterday because I am not eating enough when i take my meds. I have lost my appetite. Nothing appeals to me. I am doing good to eat 2 crackers before taking medicine. Ate a little more today and had a better day. PT and nurse again tomorrow.
 
Congratulations Texan! Your hospital stay sounded pretty good. No excessive pain! our biggest fear. Too bad about the blood clot though. Hope that got straightened out. Your are very well versed in the bonesmart mantras , please remember that you dont need to impress you PT. You will do just fine. Ill see you I n the other side in 5 days!! Bye
 
Isn't it just great to be home? Your little dog must have missed you so much, but what a lovely neighbour you have who could take him away for a while.
Hope you have a good rest and continue to recover well.
 
So happy to hear you have had a good experience so far. My appetite was off for a few weeks. Probably the first time I did not gain weight during the holidays. The pain meds do effect your stomach and the crackers will help. I stayed on a very light bland diet. The one thing I craved was milk. Maybe a high protein drink might taste good. You sound like you are well prepared and we are all here for you!
 
If you give me an inch, I will take a mile! I haven't had much pain with my TKR so I thought I would back off my pain meds a little and do a few little outings. BAD idea. Just going to the doctor wore me out and I was in quite a bit of pain that night. Friends invited me over to make cards yesterday. I was set up in a chair with my leg elevated and iced. It didn't matter. It was too much, too soon. I had a hard time getting the pain back under control last night. I am staying home and resting for a few more weeks before I try that again! If I get cabin fever, my husband might have to take up singing and dancing! I have learned my lesson!
 
My OS doesnt believe in using CPM, so I can't help you with that with any comments. REST as much as possible - your leg has been through a lot.

Sleep as much as possible - it is the best way to deal with the pain. When you can't sleep, read and reread the BoneSmarties' mantras - they will be here for you when you have questions - such a knowledgable, friendly group - they are amazingly helpful.

Take your meds on time - don't be a martyr - there is PLENTY of time later to wean off meds, now is not the time.
 
It's easy to overdo (I know...been there done that!). As mentioned above take the pain meds as prescribed in the early days/weeks of recovery.....and keep in mind all of the excellent advice on this site with respect to icing elevating, resting and patience......

It will get better!!!!
 
Hi Texan, Fawkes here. Have not been able to move my thread to post-op side,(mushy brain from meds??)
You sound like you are doing well. I am getting there ,slowly.P.T. At home 5 days last week, and they wore me out.
I had to call my O.S. to increase my oxycodone to every 4hours from every 6. It was'nt even touching it, and it seems to be some better now. I also asked him for a muscle relaxer which helps with spasms at night. Sleeping is rough, hard to get comfortable.
They are supposed to take my staples out this week sometime.
It't funny how everyone says, "you are so brave" , about having bilaterals. I don't feel especially brave, just impatient with progress,
I'm getting around okay, but still get nervous with anticipation when I stand up. Quads and incision remind me each time that I have had surgery.
The walker is my new best friend,( my husband named it, Walker Texas Ranger), funny.
Keep up the good work. I will keep trying to get my own thread, my IPad is so much smarter than me.
Take care.
 
Hello Fawkes,
It is good to hear from you. I have checked to see if you have posted anything the last few days. I had PT today and she told me I am not where I should be. What a disappointment. She told me to quit icing while using the machine for range of motion and use it afterward. I do pretty good on the machine but then can't do the sliding motion on the floor by myself. Very frustrating. Had a good cry after PT today. Stitches come out tomorrow afternoon. I walked a little today with a cane. A little scary. I wish you luck in your recovery. You are in my prayers.

Cindy
 
Hi. I have also had some tears times after P.T. The machine was not helping in the hospital, and my O.S. is not a big fan, so he did not send it home with me. I am about 90 on my good leg, and 85 on my stubborn leg. But it is still so painful bending. I will be getting staples out this week too. We just got slammed with snow, so my p.t. Could not come out yesterday. To tell the truth, I was relieved.
I guess we just work through all this. Have not tried a cane yet, coming soon.
Keep up the good work, and know you are doing your best. Even when they give those"you should be trying harder"looks. Makes me appreciate Bonesmart. Take care.
Sue
 
I went to the OS this afternoon and he wasn't happy about my ROM. He told me he wants me at 120 degrees in 2 weeks when I return for a followup. Today I got to 81 and would have jumped out of the machine if it had been possible. Terrible pain and I was crying. When I told him that, he told me to suck it up and fight through the pain. I told him I am going to go back to full doses of pain meds if that is what he expects. He said whatever it takes to get the ROM. When we got home, my husband brought my pain meds and had brought 1.5 pills. I told him to get the other half of the pill, that I am done with reduced doses of meds. I was able to get to 85 degrees with minor discomfort taking the full dose. I iced the back of my knee in addition to the front all evening and that was a huge help. Today was the first day that I had doubts about doing my other knee this summer. Sure hope tomorrow is better!
 
I love this forum! I cried too after my PT left one day. He told me I wasn't where I should be and it was already extremely painful. My surgery was Jan 13. I had bilateral knee replacement and was also told how brave I was, I wasn't brave, just ignorant! Didn't know what I was in for. My ROM is not where it should be but I get around fine. But knees sweet up for sure if I do too much. Good luck Texan and Fawkes!
 
Oh my! Quite the visit to your surgeon! I wonder if he's experienced his own TKR???? Probably not.....

Hang in there do the best you can; but if you overdo swelling could get worse and slow you down. Remember all the great advice of the experts on this site.

Best to you!
 
I'm glad the OS at least supports you taking pain meds. You definitely need them this early--glad you're taking the full doses. You should be able to do a bit more if you're medicated properly--just don't go crazy with the exercises.
and I think the OS is nuts to *expect* 120 in 2 more weeks--you can't predict that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom