THR Chronic Pain in Legs 16 Months after Hip Surgery

Hi there,

Have you had your last back looked at? The fact that it is affecting both legs could point to your back. Might want to ask your OS.

Cheers
 
Hi Brunhilda,
Possibly you have Restless Leg Syndrome, especially since you've described the symptoms as in both legs, not just your op leg. Consider supplementing with Magnesium if you haven't already. It may help.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

I hope you find a solution for your discomfort soon.
A great weekend to you!
@Brunhilda
 
Nevertheless, most nights, I have creepy, crawling pain in both legs (especially at night).
It is likely that you still have some really irritated nerves even this long after your surgery. They could have gotten fired up when you were exercising heavily early on and they've never had a chance to completely settle down.

In the beginning, I exercised a lot but, in the last few months, I have only walked on the treadmill daily.
"Only" walking on the treadmill can mean a lot of things and not necessarily all good when you are experiencing pain after the exercise. Are you walking for long periods (more than 20 minutes at a time)? What is the speed and incline of the treadmill? Are you varying the intensity of the workout (speed and incline)? These are questions that need to be answered before we can offer you complete advice. But, generally, I'd tell you to stop with the treadmill completely for at least a couple of weeks and see if things calm down. If they do, then you'll know you were doing more than your body is ready for. This would be your signal to take a month or more off from all exercising and then gradually add activity back into your life again.

You might try a heating pad at the small of your back for any leg discomfort at night.
 
Thank you all for your advice. I did take about two months off from walking on the treadmill. And I only walk for 20 minutes a day and not at an incline and not fast.

Layla - thank you - I have been taking Magnesium for some time now - my doctor recommended it.

Jamie - thanks for advice about the heating pad. Wonky - I never considered that my back could be to blame, too, although it feels/sounds like classic RLS. Thanks to everyone.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom