THR Chronic Pain in Legs 16 Months after Hip Surgery

7. Here is my daily exercise routine:
30 repetitions of quad sets 3 times a day (pressing the back of my knees downward);
30 repetitions of gluteal sets 3 times a day (squeezing buttocks together);
30 repetitions of isometric hip adductions 3 times a day (squeezing thighs together with pillow between knees)
30 repetitions of heal slides 3 times a day (sliding foot up and down on board)
30 repetitions of supine hid abductions 3 times a day (bringing surgical leg to the side and then back to mid-position)
30 repetitions of terminal knee extensions 3 times a day (raising heel off floor until knee is straight)
30 repetitions of seated knee extensions 3 times a day (straighten knee fully and slowly lower)
30 sit-ups 5 times a day
30 squats 3 times a day
30 leg kick-outs 3 times a day
30 leg kick-backs 3 times a day
30 going up on tip-toes 3 times a day
30 step-up on box 3 times a day
At least 40 repetitions on stair-climbing machine (low impact)
At least 5 minutes on the treadmill (slow speed)
At least 5 times walking a path around my house per day

That's it! Thank you so much for your analysis. You must be a terrific nurse director.

Denise
 
3. I initially took OxyContin; then 90 Hydrocodone (2 every 6 hours). Now I take 1 Celebrex every night (200 MG).
But which strength? There are about 20 different strengths.
4. I have not been icing for a while but do plan to start again
Okay
5. I occasionally elevate my legs with a pillow at night.
Jolly good!
. I do very little housework/cooking/shopping. That is what adult children are for lol!
Jolly good!

7. Here is my daily exercise routine:
30 repetitions of quad sets 3 times a day (pressing the back of my knees downward);
30 repetitions of gluteal sets 3 times a day (squeezing buttocks together);
30 repetitions of isometric hip adductions 3 times a day (squeezing thighs together with pillow between knees)
30 repetitions of heal slides 3 times a day (sliding foot up and down on board)
30 repetitions of supine hip abductions 3 times a day (bringing surgical leg to the side and then back to mid-position)
30 repetitions of terminal knee extensions 3 times a day (raising heel off floor until knee is straight)
30 repetitions of seated knee extensions 3 times a day (straighten knee fully and slowly lower)
30 sit-ups 5 times a day
30 squats 3 times a day
30 leg kick-outs 3 times a day
30 leg kick-backs 3 times a day
30 going up on tip-toes 3 times a day
30 step-up on box 3 times a day
At least 40 repetitions on stair-climbing machine (low impact)
At least 5 minutes on the treadmill (slow speed)

At least 5 times walking a path around my house per day
I am totally astonished by all this! 1,270 reps a day plus the walking and treadmill. Not even an Olympic athlete does that much training! I'm only surprised you only have persistent pain/aches/soreness in your legs! You obviously missed the comment in Jaycey's post (#3) that said this:

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

So I suggest you stop doing all of these and just do what is suggested here (which was also in Jaycey's post but I would be most surprised if you'd read any of them!) Activity progression for THRs
 
Josephine - thanks for your reply!

Re: #4 - I don't know how many milligrams of Oxy I took as I was given this drug in the hospital only. I believe the hydrocodone (90 pills) was 7.5 milligrams but have thrown away the bottle so I'm not sure. The Celebrex (200 MG) (taken at bedtime) doesn't really help much. Sometimes I also take two Extra-Strength Tynenol at lunchtime.

Re: #7: Interesting! Well, this morning, after reading earlier posts, I did actually cut down to 20 reps of each exercise two times each plus the walking to see if my soreness would abate some tonight. I don't think I could cut out the exercise completely because it does make my body (not necessarily my hip) feel stronger, but I don't have a problem cutting down further.

Thank you so much for your help! You are very generous to take the time to help people in this way.

Denise
 
I did actually cut down to 20 reps of each exercise two times each plus the walking to see if my soreness would abate some tonight.
Still way too much and most of these exercises do nothing for your hip. The decision is yours to make that the soreness is not going to ease unless you decrease your exercising. In fact, at the rate you are going you risk developing chronic pain issues.
 
I agree. I know it's been a few months,and don't know how long you have been doing that much, but poor muscles/tendons/nerves need a break.
We can get strong after we get well.
Took me a bit to get that figured out but I am better and PAIN free until I OVERDO.
 
Hi @Brunhilda
Hopefully cutting back on the exercises helps wih your pain.
I just noticed we had our surgery a day apart!
I haven't done a lot of exercising myself and so far, so good.
I'm due for a visit with my OS soon and am still dealing with
a bit of residual swelling in my knee area, operative leg.
Curious to see his response on that.

Best wishes for a great week and diminishing pain....
 
OK - I'm going to cut back even more. And, actually, my leg pain has lessened since I started cutting back. So, many thanks for the good advice.

Layla - thanks and good luck with the OS visit and the swelling issue. I hope that you have a great week as well.

Denise
 
The Celebrex (200 MG) (taken at bedtime) doesn't really help much. Sometimes I also take two Extra-Strength Tynenol at lunchtime.
Well with a pain score of 4 - which I suspect it underrated! - I suggest you take the Tylenol 4 times a day routinely.
I don't think I could cut out the exercise completely because it does make my body (not necessarily my hip) feel stronger,
I do strongly recommend you stop them altogether because you are developing chronic pain issues. This is something you will want to avoid at all costs, believe me. The only thing I suggest you do is take walks. They will do your body just as much good without stressing your legs and hip.
 
I'm glad to hear that your pain has lessened. I think if you ice and follow the mantras, you will see a huge improvement. I was shocked at the amount of exercise you are doing. It takes time, but once you have healed, you will be able to exercise again. I just did the basic exercises after surgery. There's plenty of time. Hope you are in less pain now.
 
Hi Hip Hip Horray! (great name!) - thank you so much for your sentiments. I send great wishes your way, too.

Josephine - I agree about the Tynenol and the exercises. Thank you so much for your help. You are a gem! I will follow through.

Denise
 
My question: I am three months out from hip replacement surgery. I still feel pain in my legs at night. How does one address these pains? I would love an answer as I am in pain at night. Thank you.

Denise
 
@Brunhilda You'll notice that I have moved your newest post to your recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you post questions and updates in your own recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • In your own recovery thread, you will see the posts and advice others have left for you.
  • Your thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find mythreads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Full recovery from THR can take up to a year or more, so it's not unusual to experience some lingering pain, even at you stage of recovery. What is your activity level like now? Are you doing any PT exercises? How much work are you doing within and outside the home?
 
My legs really aggravated me at 3-4 months out...but it seemed to get more intense while numbness was dissipating. Very frustrating. I walked alot during day so at night they hurt, we're super restless, felt like I constantly had to move them.
Started on Tylenol regimen, still iced...not sure that helped a whole lot.
Now I'm thinking it was just nerves reconnecting? Not sure right term...things coming back to life.
It is getting less and less, mostly not too bad now just when I have really over done it. I comfort myself at 5 months out by remembering some of these issues at different stages of my recovery and seeing them improve with time. With time, unfortunately with no miraculous fix.
Hope this will be temporary....
 
Hi - I still have tissue pain. My hip replacement surgery was four months ago. I now do minimal exercises - walking, step-ups on steps, sit-ups, and marching in place. I have cut down lots on exercises, yet I still have tissue pain. Can anyone relate? Thanks.
 
@Brunhilda you will notice I moved your post back to your own recovery thread. As you have already been advised, we need you to keep your updates here so that we have your full history in one place.

Why are you still doing all that exercise. It is not necessary and you are still feeling the effects of it. As Josephine suggested earlier on this thread please stop all this and let your muscles and soft tissues relax. If the pain eases then you know you have been doing too much.
 
My hip replacement surgery was four months ago. I now do minimal exercises - walking, step-ups on steps, sit-ups, and marching in place. I have cut down lots on exercises, yet I still have tissue pain.
Did you miss the BIG TIP? It was this: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

I don't call what you are doing 'cutting down a lot'! Not in any way. You need to read this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy. You will notice that all the exercises you've mentioned - except walking - are mentioned in there but in terms of don't do them !
 
My legs are better and better all the time. If I rub on my thighs they are still sore. They hurt less than they did one month ago, they hurt more after a long day as I do a good bit of walking at my job. So I try to give them an absolute break and not add exercises to that other than gentle stretching.
I cling to the forums' facts about taking up to a year, and honestly figure if it stays this way I am still way way better than I was.
 
Hi - I had total hip replacement surgery 16 months ago (left hip). In the beginning, I exercised a lot but, in the last few months, I have only walked on the treadmill daily. Nevertheless, most nights, I have creepy, crawling pain in both legs (especially at night). The symptoms are like Restless Leg Syndrome. I try Ben Gay, Aspercreme, leg massage, and Aleve PM. I have also bought a product called "Restful Legs" but haven't tried it yet. Does anyone else have this problem and does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
 
@Brunhilda ,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom