THR ChrissW's recovery thread

Most surgeons impose this rule for about 6 weeks and you are now 10 weeks out so it's about time you were 'let off the leash' so to speak! So in that case, you should be able to do those things - but carefully! And if you find it causing you pain, then stop immediately and allow yourself to rest.
 
Thank you @Josephine . Much appreciated and I will listen to my body and most definitely go carefully
 
I asked a similar question of my OS about tying my shoelaces or cutting toe nails! My os said give it 12 weeks, but that seemed rather arbitrary, but I shall follow the advice. I find it uncomfortable to bend even slightly beyond the 90 degrees so I’m listening to my body and not testing it.
 
at the 6 week check up the OS said to remember them but not for how long
Mine said almost exactly the same! I see him again in 4 months and hope to God restrictions aren't that whole time. Thank you for asking as I was wondering the exact same thing.
 
I've perfected the golfers reach and am so accustomed to it now I think I have s mental block how to reach my feet normally. Let's see when we manage the manoeuvre and whoever does needs to supply basic instructions!
 
You responses have not only made me chuckle but confirmed to me that there aren't many surgeons who have a definitive idea about what to do and when to do it! It's all from the 'grab it out of the air' school of philosophy!

It actually puts me in the mind of the time, back in 1963, when we had a group of American surgeons visit our hospital and all gather in the operating theatre to watch Ken McKee (designer of the very first modern hip replacements) do a surgery. During this procedure, one surgeon actually asked McKee how long he though these artificial hip replacements would last. McKee looked up from his surgery and gazed into space for about 4 minutes and then said "Well, I reckon if we get 10 years out of them we'll be doing well".

But that statement has echoed down over the years as a statement of absolute fact! How many times, in this forum alone, do people report that their surgeons have told them with a considerable degree of confidence, that "hips won't last more then 10-15 years"! Yet I was there when this statement was made and know it to have been a casual, unconsidered, throw-away comment made on the spur of the moment! And people STILL believe it!
 
Hi Chrissy! I went out last night to a restaurant (ooh rough but fab dinner) and had an affogato in your honour! Glad you are doing so well. Wish I could stowaway on your upcoming cruise. Buonviaggio!!:capn:
 
Good afternoon @Calgal . Just got home from work and and a nice big salad with a flagel for lunch so now my belly is full and I'm going to get my rest. Leg quite achy today and feels not completely muscular but as everything changes daily with the tyke and location of any ache I'm not going to stress. Glad you tried the affogato, great, simple little dessert.
I'm getting giddy for the cruise but do keep wondering about sitting and I'm already working on no low loungers. It's all about relaxing and I can't wait to watch the waterfalls as we sail past. The fjords are so beautiful and the whole Scandinavian area is definetly one of my favourite places.
 
Okay...so I think you ladies across the pond teach me something new each day.

Flagel- is a bagel variation that has been flattened prior to boiling and baking.

Affogato - an Italian coffee based dessert. It usually takes the form of a scoop of vanilla gelato or ice cream
topped or drowned with a shot of hot espresso.

Obviously had to look both up, had no clue, lol. Flagel did sound enough like bagel that I had a hunch there must be a similarity.

What a lovely adventure you'll be taking, Chrissy. And with no hip pain! Keep your eye on the prize. :happydance:
Have a great rest of the day :)
@ChrissyW
 
Well done @Layla :yay:. Actually flagels aren't a Brit thing, they were a NY invention and I heard about them from my celebrity watching ( family with lots of Ks in their names!!) I managed to track them down over here and love them. I get to have 2 for ghd calories of 1 bagel so it's all psychological!! Affogato though is a viaduct to my Italian heritage!
Have a wonderful evening and you should share some of your unique likes too xx:happydance:
 
Just wanted to put an update on here. It's now just over 12 weeks and I've done a phased return to work for the last weeks of term and been on a peaceful, relaxing holiday last week. My energy levels still do drop noticeably but my ability to do most things such as walking up and down stairs without stopping on each step and sleeping is improving lots too. I'm able to only take paracetamol if I start to feel the tiredness in the muscles approaching but I just wanted to say 12 weeks ago I didn't think I'd be saying this, every niggle, hurt and my massive issue not sleeping at all felt forever and I just wanted to add to my thread that it is small steps, this community is amazing at supporting us on the journey and suddenly, without you realising normality begins to appear. I'm still going carefully with all I do but I just wanted to cheer everyone along these unique journeys we travel.
 
What a great update, Chrissy! So nice to read about your progress.
It's a special day today...
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
And to think it's going to get better and better. :egypdance: :happydance:
@ChrissyW
 
Thank you @Layla , time flies ( but not in the early days!) this community has been such a support and allowed me to make some real bonds with my hippy sisters @Mayhip8 , @ahipgma and @Calgal as well as all the other lovely, supportive people I've encountered along the way. It's all about positivity, small steps and awareness of your body and listening to it. Again thank you for continuing to stop by and keep an eye on us all :flwrysmile:
 
It's weird because as much as it's 4 months it's actually 13 weeks yesterday. What has happened to principle of 4 weeks in a month? :shrug:
 
Hahaha! :heehee: Because it's not four months, I screwed up, it's only THREE.

I always go by months...it's easier than counting weeks after a very short time.
So.....Happy THREE Month Anniversary, Chrissy!
 
Back
Top Bottom