TKR Chimera's Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had at home therapy staring the day after I got home for 4 times a week for two weeks followed by outpatient PT for twice a week until more than 3 months post surgery. What a BIG mistake. Unfortunately I didn't find this forum until I was three months out and when I re-read my original posts I can see why. I was brainwashed into I had to do agressive PT or I would NEVER have a good result from the surgery. It would be a waste of time. You are being much wiser. Follow what your body is telling you. I wished I listened to myself and I would have fared much better.
 
Just wanted to share an update on my recovery process. I am now 4 weeks and two days out from my TKR and I am feeling much more positive than I was last week. Thank you everyone for contributing to this forum - it really is a lifesaver!
After my horrid experience at PT last week and cancelling my 2 therapy sessions that remained that week - I spoke with one of the owners and was polite, but honest about my experience. She seemed to be of the same mindset that pain and struggle is an inherent part of the process (Ah well :) I returned to see my regular PT gal on Monday and had an excellent session. She is always very clear about what she is doing, always explains what she is doing or about to do, and checks in to see where I am hurting and how much - and gently backs off and gives me a rest until I feel comfortable doing a bit more. This is good and it works much better for me.

I have been feeling like I am a pretty slow healer compared to other folks, but I know everyone recovers at their own pace. Today I am using crutches for the first time rather than my walker - I finally feel stable enough that I am not going to fall flat on my face forward, this feels like a huge positive stride. I am taking the 3 Oxycodone's per day with Tylenol in between and it seems to be working well - waking up now seems to be the most painful, stiff time - but seems to improve as I get up and get moving.

My ROM has improved since last week - Monday I was at 97 flex, and an amazing 18 extension (last week it was up at 30), and yesterday I was at 99 flex, and 10 extension - which for me is great progress. I have one more PT scheduled for next Monday where I will get an evaluation, and I assume more PT appointments - and an x-ray and checkup with my surgeon a week from today. I am hoping to be able to use the crutches or maybe even my cane to visit the surgeons office (the heels of my hands are not amused after 4+ weeks of a walker, that's for sure).

Going to hobble downstairs for the first time on my own - taking it slow ;) Cheers! and health and happiness to everyone!
 
That's a good report. :yay::happydance:

I know you feel as if you're making slow progress, but it sounds to me as if you're doing OK. Some people move faster but, for sure, some move slower than you.

I had to use crutches for 4 months before and after my revision to TKR and I developed calluses on my hands. I found that wearing a pair of cycling gloves helped my hands a lot.
 
Excellent report and the best part is that you are feeling better about all of it. Amazing the different attitudes among physical therapists. I will be 4 weeks out today and am over all of it, but can't back out...
 
Congratulations on the progress. I'm glad you got to go back to your regular PT.
 
:dancy::egypdance:You are doing well! I used a walker for 3.5 weeks and then a cane for another 3 weeks or so. Even after that I still used it if I was going to be on uneven ground or walking a lot. It still lives in my car so it's there when I need it!!
 
Hello everyone!
I just wanted to report in with an update on my recovery process. Today I am 6 weeks out from my TKR and after feeling pretty bad for 5 weeks post surgery, about halfway through last week it feels as if I have turned a corner.
I woke up on Thursday and it was the first time I actually felt almost normal - minimal pain in the knee and with my hips and back, which has been bothering my more than pain with the healing knee. I was thrilled!
I was able to walk for the first time with just a cane, albeit not quite gracefully - I get tired very quickly, and new knee likes to stiffen up pretty quickly, so its back to rest, elevation and icing - its so good to see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel!
I must admit that I can now see how depressed I had become, once I had a day that I felt better, almost normal.

I had a check up with my surgeon last Wednesday and he's been a bit more crabby the last two visits - he did not seem pleased with my ROM - he must know that it swells and stiffens up after walking what are still great distances to me to get to his office. My ROM at last measure was 110 Flex, 8 Extension - and I asked my PT of we could switch from prone/on tummy with leg over the edge of the bed - to sitting up with a bolster under the ankle with a weight on my thigh, this is much more comfortable than the prong hang - which sends my hips off the table and is almost unbearable.
My surgeon mentioned a serial casting if my extension doesn't rapidly improve (I'm like yeesh I am working on it!) which sounds horrible, or arthroscopic surgery to clean things out - which also sounds horrible (and would just cause my scar tissue to form right?) So I am just going to keep at it. I am also off Oxy and on Tramadol and Ibuprofen and Naproxen - he suggested switching from Tylenol.

I drove my car for the first time last Friday and did just fine. First day out on my own without my dear husband chauffeuring me about. I still have therapy on the books for the next few weeks - and my gentle PT gal will finish her internship at the end of next week and she will be heading back home to the Midwest - I sure hope that my new gal will be gentle.

I am able to walk unaided, again not super gracefully mid-mornings, for short distances. In the evenings, the knee seems to have had enough and swells a bits, stiffens up, and is generally pretty sore again.
 
I can sympathise with you @Chimera I am at 5 weeks post op TKR & having problems with extension. My leg is a bit straighter today it will be measured tomorrow when I see my surgeon. I am very scared what he will say! It looks like you are now getting on. I suppose our bodies really know when the time is right to move forward I do hope mine will do so soon.
 
My surgeon mentioned a serial casting if my extension doesn't rapidly improve
What's his hurry? Hell would freeze over before I agreed to this. It's uncomfortable and it's totally unnecessary!

Extension often takes longer to achieve than flexion. Most of the time, all it takes is patience and a little, gentle work. You can do that at home and don't need to stress about it at PT.
Extension: exercises for improvement
Find one exercise that you like and just do it several times a day, but only until you feel discomfort, never pain. I never really worked on extension, but just put my heel on a stool while I was sitting watching TV.

Remember that ROM (both flexion and extension) can continue to improve for a year, or even longer, after a TKR.
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
There's no magic "window of opportunity", within which you have to achieve ROM or all is lost:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
To help extension I sat with my leg bridging the chair and ottoman every so often during the day. I have great extension, but OS didn't even measure for it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom