TKR Cherterr's Recovery Thread'

WARNING: Question and discussuon of gastric issues below!:nah:

First of all I've always had an iron stomach. I could eat anything anytime never a problem.

Aprox. Week 5 I began to think I had become lactose intolerant. Within 30 min. of ingesting I would bloat, cramp, and HAVE to go. (Not necessarily 'loose'.) First I stopped milk and switched to Almond. THEN I stopped Celebrex. Things improved.
I began mixing milks 1half of each..pretty much ok.
So..NOW.. Still having occasional bouts after meals, although not EVERY meal like previously.

What's up? I never know what's coming... Not losing weight. Should I be concerned or is this some weird post op Thing? Also..I am only on as needed 7.5 Hydrocodone. (The only thing that works for me, which I took in past for some months years ago - as well as Celebrex ).

Thanks for help and hope this isnt too gross!:eeeuw:
 
Last edited:
Do you take a good probiotic? I have the same issues if I don't take mine.
 
This surgery affects the whole body one way or the other. Taking a probiotic is a really good idea. In the meantime, eat as healthily as you can!
 
So....9 weeks tomorrow an NOW the front of my knee bruises? More walking and relearning stairs the culpret??? It' all so achey..eeeeeeeeee!!! :tantrum:
Back side of knee, calf.. .. It' s just exhausting..constant pain.. But still..it's improving. S L O W L Y.

I just wanna have ONE day that I feel good all over. *sigh*
 
(((hugs))) I hope you feel much better very soon
 
Stairs and increased walking may be the culprit for your bruising.
For the pain on the back of your knee and calf, suggest you try ice on the back of your knee, be sure you have a cloth between the ice and your skin.
 
Aprox. Week 5 I began to think I had become lactose intolerant. Within 30 min. of ingesting I would bloat, cramp, and HAVE to go. (Not necessarily 'loose'.) First I stopped milk and switched to Almond. THEN I stopped Celebrex. Things improved.
I began mixing milks 1half of each..pretty much ok.
So..NOW.. Still having occasional bouts after meals, although not EVERY meal like previously.

What's up? I never know what's coming... Not losing weight. Should I be concerned or is this some weird post op Thing? Also..I am only on as needed 7.5 Hydrocodone. (The only thing that works for me, which I took in past for some months years ago - as well as Celebrex ).
We're not the experts on this, but I wonder if the Hydrocodone and Celebrex have something to do with it.
Celebrex is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) and they are very hard on your GI system.

Talk to your doctor about your symptoms.
 
Well... They sent me a survey. I hope they can handle my answers - and maybe we'll get to discuss it when I have my appointment on Thursday the 15th.

I feel like there were a lot of times I got treated pretty shabby in the whole course of things.; But maybe I'm just an old crabby women and shouldn't expect to be respected for knowing my own body and making requests that were laughed at; and things like that.

We'll see. :no-fin: But they shouldn't have sent me the survey if they didn't want to hear it.:tada:
 
Who sent you the survey? Hospital or surgeon?
 
Surgeon. And you know.. It's kind of funny... I didn't realize I was harboring so much anger until I started reading the questions.

Or..oh! Maybe I'm just finally post op enough to have coherent thoughts again!! :)
 
Welcome @cherterr we are very happy to have you hang here with us , ask us anything one of us will have the answer:flwrysmile:
 
Surgeon. And you know.. It's kind of funny... I didn't realize I was harboring so much anger until I started reading the questions.

Or..oh! Maybe I'm just finally post op enough to have coherent thoughts again!! :)
I think the anger sneaks up on us!
 
Well due to the surgeons "hedge of protection" with PAs and such, and their General lack of paying attention to what I was saying; I needlessly suffered for 3 weeks with some pretty severe pain with my hip and back. The more I learned on this forum, the angrier I got... and the better I felt ! So thank you everybody. :)
 
@cherterr oh my! I wish they would send me a survey! My post op has been a nightmare! If i wouldn’t have called my surgeon after the operation, I never would have had a follow up appointment! And that’s just one example. They’ve not done anything for me...I’ve had to do everything by myself.

My hip seems to be my major problem now. It’s been weeks since it started.

Hope you’re doing better today!
 
Your colorful description of your journey has been a delight to read, cherterr! You're a feisty
one! Thanks for the giggles! And we're right there with you on the day-to-day challenges.:good-bad:

That "hedge of protection" you mention is so real! I think they look at us and see knees and numbers, not people with emotions, opinions, and the common sense God have us all. I definitely respect and admire their intelligence, skill, and the courage and ability to cut someone open and do all that needs to be done...I shudder to even think about it!

But many of them are likely under a lot of pressure to perform according to whatever standards constitute business success because they are, after all, running a business. Here in the Kansas City area where I live, their business is competitive. The big healthcare systems are swallowing the independent practices. If they want their patient satisfaction scores to go through the roof, they would be wise to actually listen to each of us as individuals and respond with the treatment that is uniquely appropriate for each patient.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for all your comments. Very helpful as well as reading your threads. I guess we're all together in our own little world!! :):)

So... 10 weeks today with Dr. Appt. Tomorrow.
I am starting to be concerned that my ROM is not real great (seemingly due to super tight skin on top, and general swelling keeping me from fully flattening.)

I know it's been better. What do y'all think? I'm worrying unnecessarily?
I'm still doing a bit of stair(s), leaving cane behind a lot (it's more like my security blanket) and using less pain meds. I'm running around Less tho due to past injury/pains to hip.. I FEEL better overall but I just think my knee is stiffining up more.??
 
It's only been 10 weeks, which is still early in this year-long recovery.

It may be that your slight loss of ROM (what is it, by the way?) is due to a bit more swelling because of increased activity.
It is normal for your knee to feel stiff - for several more months.

Remember that there's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
@Celle : thanks for the article..I liked the practical ROM #s relating to 'activites'... It would appear I'm at least not an MUA candidate!!!:):)
 
Your surgeon may or may not like your ROM number. They seem to want us to get it back right away. They can want that theory all they want but your knee doesn’t care what your doctor wants.

I was SO stressed out over ROM most of my first whole year. My checkups consisted of X-rays and ROM measurement (painfully) and very little else.

Guess what. At a year and a half my leg felt more relaxed and I had a much better ROM than I did even at the one year mark. Proof that it continued to improve.

As Celle said, you are still early in recovery and have lots of time to improve. You seem to be happy with how things are coming along. That’s what really counts. Relax and give your knee the privilege of sorting itself out, no matter what your surgeon says about it. They are often impatient and have unrealistic expectations.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom