Bilateral TKR Chattalyn-6 months-still use cane for gait

It sounds like you are on the right track. You will probably find that you lack stamina and are very tired and have a lack of energy. Just know this is completely normal. Your body is trying to heal after some really major trauma. Nap whenever and wherever you can because nighttime sleep is sometimes elusive.
Stay ahead of your pain with your Meds schedule! It's really hard to catch up if you let the pain get away and will just hold you back.
You are making good progress and are amongst friends here. Come and chat whenever you want!
 
You all are so right-lack stamina, tired, questioning whether this(especially bilateral) was a good idea. So grateful for the support of Bonesmarties.
 
Yep, Chattalyn, that all sounds normal. My knees were done 4 1/2 months apart, but the fatigue seems worse this time. I would imagine it has to be worse at the beginning for bilats. Hang in there, it will get better. :friends:
 
You'll have that fatigue for a while. I was exhausted for two months, though some energy came back around week 6. Even then, if I did anything - even just make a run to the bank (driving) or spend some time with the family on weekends - I would need to take a nap. At around two months, I had more energy... but I will say I did not return to "normal" until around three months. I still take the occasional nap, but because I feel a little tired, as opposed to drop dead exhausted. Since I am low-energy anyway, I might be feeling normal where a high-energy person would not.
 
I see you recently had Bil TKA. I will be in hospital 2 days then home with family support. How was it the first 2 days of getting up with walker? How much assistance did you need.My doc wants people home, rather than in an ECF and my insurance won't pay for in patient rehab
 
First time getting up with walker-was painful, but a different pain than osteoarthritis. There should be nurses/techs to assist you. Two days doesn't seem like long enough but others will come along and give you their opinion. If you haven't already, read SusieShoes recovery thread. I found it very helpful. I found I needed help at home-to bring me food, drink, ice packs, meds for more than a week.
 
You will be glad you did both. I had mine 2 yrs apart and it was terrible just thinking about going through it all over again! There are many on here who have chosen the BTKR route and are doing wonderfully well! You are in good company! Just adjust your expectations - you have had 2 major surgeries!
 
Dr took out half of the 49 staples (23 left knee and 26 right knee) last week and the other half today. Making progress. And I can shower without it being covered up. Baby steps!
 
You're doing so well! These next weeks will be a bit trying, but every day brings something new. You're through the roughest part, I hope. Are you standing for your full shower now? If so, you're way ahead of me! I kind of got to liking my bath bench. :heehee: Feels good, too, to have all those staples out, I'm sure.
 
SusieShoes, thanks and no I'm not standing for a shower-still using a shower chair and I'm worn out afterwards.
 
Oh, I was hopeful for you. It took me a while to let go of mine. Here's to better days ahead! And lots of naps. :sleep:
 
Yes! You earn the Side Sleeping badge! Seriously, though, that's a real step forward. The pillow technique really works well, though you might not yet be able to sleep that way through the night. But that will come, too.
 
And I forgot to say after last of staples out, no more immobilizers! When sleeping, I kept trying to sleep on my side with immobilizers on-doesn't work too well and just gets covers and everything tangled up.
 
It sounds like you are doing very well. Congratulations! Don't forget that this recovery is not linear, so be prepared for those pesky steps back and don't let them derail your good attitude.
 
Ok, so I'm now in the Over Did It Club. Yesterday I so enjoyed being in the living room most of the day-3 times up 5 stairs to bathroom and back down. That 3rd time I must have done stairs wrong form, too fast, shouldn't have done stairs more than once.....Last night I had pain under my left kneecap that felt like pain before surgery. After elevating and icing the pain was less and mostly below left kneecap. Any thoughts on what I did?
 
It's a fine balance between doing just enough and doing too much and we only find out by trial and error. We've all been in the ODIC at least once.

You won't have done any permanent damage, just caused yourself some additional pain and swelling. So, compensate for that by spending more time resting, icing and elevating today - and try not to overdo it again.
 
Hi Chattalyn, I had BTKR on August 7th and just found this forum and am delighted to be here. This has been one of the most difficult things I've ever done........:swoon:
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom