TKR Ceegee's recovery

@Ceegee your progress is amazing and a positive motivator for me personally! To see what you’ve been able to accomplish at 10 weeks post TKR gives me encouragement on what I hope to be able to accomplish in a similar time frame following my PKR. I’m supposed to bowl in a tournament the last week of June which will be 12 weeks post op. I’m currently just shy of 4 weeks post op. If my own progress continues on track similar to yours, I’m not expecting any serious issues.

Best of luck with your continued success and good luck with your dog (gorgeous looking one too).
 
We're also having trouble rehabbing the tendons and muscles behind my new knee, which have shrunk and stiffened over the last few years with my old, bent, arthritic knee. They're still tight, but on the other hand they let me know very clearly when I'm trying to do too much. The PT has told me not to force through the pain, but to go gradually and stop when it hurts,
Your PT is very smart and up to date on rehabbing a tkr! Now, you have to listen and obey your knee!
 
I have the same problem with my tendons. I have to use a 2kg weight under my knee and above. it feels very tight behind the knee and like a Chinese burn. it i do it above the knee i feel it pulling in the groin as well. so I don't do the 10 minutes recommend. I am now up to about five minutes.
 
I have to use a 2kg weight under my knee and above.
You should not be using weights on your knee. It is way too young and you can tear your muscles and tendons. Don't forget that they are healing, too, not just your bones. Extension will come naturally as you walk more. Trying to force it can cause damage. Walking is the best way to stretch those tendons and muscles. As you get more staple, you can walk with longer strides, heal to toe. That gives a good stretch. That's the way I got my extension to come in. It was slower than my bend, though. Many experience the same thing.
 
You're doing great @Ceegee. And you're right that all the sitting will make the knee feel stiff. That combined with exercise. It sounds like you're trying to listen to the knee, though, and that's a good thing. :thumb:
I wasn't where you are at 11 weeks, but I was on my way. TKR recovery is truly an "individual sport." :)
 
Here we are, 12 weeks and two days after TKR (right knee). Our first competitive agility run since the surgery! My dog was a superstar. We won our class.

I'm currently working on strengthening the muscles of my leg, and am able to jog a few steps now.

 
Look at you running around out there! :happydance: And your dog is amazing. I can’t tell who loves doing this course more, you or your beautiful dog.
 
Week 14 update. Range of motion is 0 to 125, and pain is mostly under control with a bit of occasional help from Tylenol. I saw an osteopath last week, and it certainly helped: since then, the swelling has all but gone (the new knee circumference is less than 1/3 of an inch bigger than the "good" knee). My physiotherapist has given me some new exercises to strengthen the muscles around the knee and correct my gait, and now only wants to see me once a week instead of twice. Last night, at my dog agility class, I was able to move around the training ring fairly easily and quickly - better, I think, than before the operation. The class lasted an hour, and I took my dog for a half-hour walk on the off-leash trails afterwards - like a normal person!! I'm still doing exercises daily and using both the exercise bike and the stepper, sometimes more than once a day. The only thing that is still difficult is sitting for long periods, which is unfortunate because I have a computer-based job. I have to get up and walk around or do exercises every hour or so, otherwise the knee becomes stiff. But things are definitely on the mend!
 
I love reading your reports. :yay: Sitting for long periods was one of the last things to become pain-free for me. Before having this surgery I would have thought sitting was a no-brainer (no-painer?) but I sure learned otherwise! Like you, I sit for long periods. I'm a writer. Fortunately, after about 10 months for me, the pain and then the stiffness after sitting for long periods finally went away.

Your agility videos show how amazingly you've recovered!
 
Your ROM is good and you're getting plenty of exercise during the day. I don't think you need to keep doing exercises.

@Celle, I agree, I don't need to keep doing exercises to improve ROM, it will come on its own. Those I'm doing now are to reinforce specific muscles in the calf and thigh that aren't doing their job properly. Both the physio and I think this will be useful because I'm starting to run now - not fast, and over very short distances, but running nevertheless - and it will be safer if all the various bits are at full strength. If it wasn't for that, she would have discharged me by now, but she's decided to keep working with me for another month, just to make sure. And also, I actually enjoy the exercises! They're not painful, they don't put strain on the knee (or anything else) and they're helping me to get fit. After being virtually inactive for several years due to arthritis, it's wonderful to be able to do stuff like this again. I'd forgotten how much fun exercise and activity can be.
 
Sitting for long periods was one of the last things to become pain-free for me. Before having this surgery I would have thought sitting was a no-brainer (no-painer?) but I sure learned otherwise! Like you, I sit for long periods. I'm a writer. Fortunately, after about 10 months for me, the pain and then the stiffness after sitting for long periods finally went away.

Yes, it's surprised me too. I'm happy to hear that it will eventually go away - that is very good news!! We share a profession; I'm a writer and translator by trade.
 
The stiffness does fade away. Seven months becomes a real turning point, even energy and strength!
 
To celebrate our 4-month anniversary, my metal knee and I took my dog to the Provincial Agility Championships last weekend. Nine events, over three days, with lots of walking in between the races to learn the courses and keep the dog loose and warmed up. The result: it wasn't very fast, it wasn't very pretty, but we did it, clawed our way onto the podium in our class, in third place (out of 12 teams), and qualified for the National Championships in August! I was able to run slowly, change direction and put forward weight on my knee. At the end of the third day, on Sunday, I drove home (4 hour trip). The knee is a bit sore but seems fine otherwise, and I was able to take my dog to our regular training class last night.

Video for interest! As you can see, I'm relatively mobile, but am hoping to gain a bit of speed between now and August.

 
The knee is a bit sore but seems fine otherwise, and I was able to take my dog to our regular training class last night.

Your knee is a superstar for just four months out! Hope you are pampering it for being such a good knee: lots of ice and elevation now that it's done a great job. :)

You really are an inspiration to us all!
 
I'm now 19 weeks post-op and thought I would give a short update. The new knee seems to be settling in now, and the various muscles and ligaments are also finding life easier. The latest strain appears to be healing.

There is still some residual stiffness, especially after sitting for long periods (more than 2 hours) at work. Unforced ROM is an easy 0 to 125. The knee will bend quite a bit further with assistance, but the additional bend is painful and neither my physiotherapist nor I think this is a good idea. We're waiting for the joint to be able to do it under its own steam, without pain, which I think will be achieved over time.

I still have occasional pain in the joint, usually after lots of exercise, but it doesn't generally get much above a 2 or 3 on the scale, which is light-years better than the constant 8 or 9 I was having before the operation. I'm off all painkillers completely, but will sometimes take Tylenol for the sake of comfort (usually after agility trials, when I've overdone things). I still elevate the leg in the evening, and use ice after exercise.

The leg is gradually becoming stronger, and while I don't think I could handle a hike in the mountains just yet, I'm hopeful that I can do so by the fall. However, on reasonably flat terrain I can walk for several miles with no problem. I can mow our lawn (it takes an hour with a heavy electric mower) and do all the yardwork. The dog training activities, which involve running, changing direction and so forth, are getting easier, but there's still much to be achieved here. I'm not pushing things too much because I don't want to have any more pulled muscles or strained tendons, and I don't want to twist the joint either. I'm confident that I can get to where I want to be, in terms of speed, over time.

I also think about the knee much less in everyday activities. The other day I ran downstairs (using the handrail for support) without realizing what I was doing until I was at the bottom. We're planning a family vacation in August that will involve lots of walking and a day of wild bird photography for me - I haven't been able to do that for a long time, because of the need to crouch and sit on the ground. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things continue to go well.

I do wish I'd had the TKR sooner. I put it off for at least a couple of years because I have an innate fear of hospitals, but in the end it has given me my life back. As for the hospital, I was able to do the operation on an outpatient basis (no overnight stay), so it was much less stressful.
 
Last edited:
Just read your entire thread and you are quite the inspiration! Thanks for lifting my day!

Your beautiful dog (golden retriever?) is so graceful! I raised Papillons for 21 years and always wanted to get them (1 in particular) into agility, but there was no place nearby to train.
 
It must be nice to stand so far back in agility and have your dog do the commands. I used to run danes in agility. I gave it up years ago for other reaons. I now just show in conformation. Im only 4 days ouf after TKR 7-9-18.looking forward to gettingbackin the ring! LOL
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom