Guest viewing is limited

Catheter query

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it interesting that most got one as I didn't I had to get up to go . Trkr Sept 8 2015

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
 
Maybe, @katie1624, because you had your knee operated on and you were more mobile afterwards. Don't know that for sure, though.
 
Maybe, @katie1624, because you had your knee operated on and you were more mobile afterwards. Don't know that for sure, though.
Not sure because lots off people with knee replacements got them it seems like most did

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
 
@katie1624 did you have a spinal?
I think it would be hard to pee when you're totally numb and can't move your lower body.
 
Yup I sure did but I remember that I was moving within 2 hours. ..

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
 
I had a catheter for hysterectomy surgery and it was no big deal having it removed (I had really feared it). The nurse took a sample of urine from the tube just before taking it out, to test for infection. If infection is present they should get onto antibiotic treatment pretty fast, but I was unlucky, they phoned me at home one week later to tell me I had a UTI, which I already knew :gaah:. I had the catheter in for two nights, and it was convenient, but I will avoid one for my upcoming knee replacement if I can, after my previous experience, though realistically I know UTI's are fairly rare.
Love,
Tabbycat:kittykiss:
 
Every once in a while, I felt the 'urge to go' with the catheter in.
That's when the presence of the catheter in the urethra causes a little irritation. Men get it a lot worse than women!

Here's a little personal story - because I have 'containment' problems, I asked to have a catheter for my knee op last year. It was a blessing as I had neither to use a bedpan or get out of bed. But on the second day, when I was sitting out of bed, the nurse came to change mu dressing and I pushed the overbed table out of the way, not noticing that the urine bag was draped over the table foot. I felt the resistance when I was pushing it but just pushed harder, not realising I was actually dragging on the catheter. I actually managed to pull it out with the balloon still inflated! :shocked: But thanks to the remnants of the spinal, it didn't hurt! Phew!
 
I'm getting a little envious...they told us at the pre-op class that we will not have a catheter. The nurses will bring a commode to the bedside if walking to the bathroom is too much, but they really want us up and about.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom