Guest viewing is limited

TKR Carole’s recovery thread

Good going Carole!! It is always such a positive step forward when you accomplish a goal! You are doing awesome! Never give up and keep trying until you get there!! :D
 
Thank you, LindaO, sewhat, Tykey, kneeper, and lovetocookandsew!

OK, brag time here: :yes:
Just finished today's PT session, and had great ROM improvement! Here's my ROM so far, with today's in red:

August 15: 68 degrees
August 16: 68 degrees
August 19: 69 degrees
August 21: 82 degrees

82 degrees today! Never expected that. Bear in mind that I am about as far from an athlete as you can even imagine someone to be. Also, I was able to do each of my exercises a little bit better than I could on Monday, and could even do heel slides (which I couldn't manage to do, two days ago).

Also the PT was really pleased that I could get on and off the bed unassisted. Me too. :egypdance:

I asked her when I would be able to progress from my Plain Jane walker to my rollator walker (which I used for three years before surgery). I was expecting her to say, "oh, six months or a year" but instead she said, "pretty soon, as soon as you get a good solid gait and yours is improving, so maybe 1-2 weeks". :yes!:

OK, that's the positive news from me to you, for today. The (slightly) negative is that I was up almost all night with back-of-the-knee pain, zingers, cramps, you name it. I should have taken two pain pills at bedtime again, but thought I could cut back to one. Sure learned that lesson. :)
 
Last edited:
Last edited:
Just now I put a small to medium sized load of laundry into the washer, which sounds like more activity than it was. I didn't carry the laundry to the washer; I just put the laundry basket in my laundry cart and wheeled it there slowly, just ahead of myself and my walker. Only about 50 feet, a straight shot, with no stairs to navigate. So, I think that was probably OK to do even though it is only Day Eight for me. After they were washed, I transferred them to the dryer and that went well. I was careful not to twist my knee, and I used my reacher/grabber thingie to get the last few things out of the washer.
Then I got them out of the dryer (more use of my reacher/grabber thingie), and put them away.

Don't want to overdo, especially after taking opiates since my judgment may not be at its best. I didn't originally intend to do any more than put them in the washer. So, I divided it up into three tasks: put in washer (wash), transfer to dryer (dry), and put away dry clothes. I gave myself the option of quitting after any of these steps, and letting my sweetie continue. But after a little rest following each task, I felt like going ahead. So now, it's all done and everything is put away.

Anyway, I would not expect that most people would be able to do laundry so soon so please do not base your planning on this; line up a friend or caregiver to help you with laundry and other tasks for a few weeks, just in case. I have been really lucky (for once in my life!) that my surgery and recovery seem to have been relatively easy compared with what some other bonesmart folks are going through. Different doctors, different knees, different situations; I'm not surprised.
 
Last edited:
Everyone is going to be different. If you felt up to it, then it's great that you were able to accomplish it all. I was folding laundry and putting things on hangers from my bed the first week. It gave me something I could do and helped my sweetie. Laundry isn't usually his job. Also, he's terrible at putting things on hangers. lol
 
Everyone is going to be different. If you felt up to it, then it's great that you were able to accomplish it all. I was folding laundry and putting things on hangers from my bed the first week. It gave me something I could do and helped my sweetie. Laundry isn't usually his job. Also, he's terrible at putting things on hangers. lol
That's amazing! I am so impressed. The first week I wasn't doing that kind of stuff really. All I wanted to do was sleep.

My sweetie is sort of OK at doing laundry. Well, kind of. :rotfl: He hasn't quite got my system down when it comes to putting things away, and where everything goes. I appreciate his help, but I admit, I do like things done MY way when it is safe for me to attempt it.

I saw something somewhere that said that we should wait several weeks before doing laundry. But my thoughts are that some people have their washer and dryer in the basement, and some are doing laundry for more than one person. Neither of these is a problem for me. I just had this one small to medium sized load, that didn't even reach the top of the laundry basket, and no basement.

I seem to be OK this morning, so apparently it was a reasonable thing for me to do and not due to the fact that I had just taken the maximum opioid pain medication at the time and was "under the influence". Say, there's one for you all; we have all heard about Driving Under the Influence (DUI), so maybe now we have a new term: Doing Laundry Under the Influence (DLUI). :rotfl:
 
Last edited:
Awesome Carole! I feel you should do what you feel like doing but be cautious to not overdo! Just don't mop the floor yet!! :heehee:
 
@LindaO , I hate mopping! So, any excuse not to mop is just fine with me. :heehee:

I am so happy with how my energy is coming back in the past couple of days. For the first week, I felt like a limp rag and even walking to the bathroom and back was enough to wear me out. But now, I can do a lot more and still have plenty of energy!

I have been taking advantage of my newfound energy by doing more (gently, gradually) so that I can build up my strength a little bit more for daily activities. Gone are the days when walking to the bathroom was all I could do in one expedition from my recliner. It's almost at the point where I need to think up extra things to get done that will not hurt me, but will still keep me active and moving. I might even sit on a tall barstool and cook something simple for dinner later this week. I have been relying on frozen meals that I cooked and froze before surgery. So I don't NEED to cook, but it might be something I am ready to try in a few days.

Who woulda thought that one's energy could return like this? I sure hope it lasts.
 
You are definitely not having a normal recovery. It was at least 5-6 weeks before I could even think of doing what you are doing. Be very careful to not overdo. Let your knee be your guide.
 
You are definitely not having a normal recovery. It was at least 5-6 weeks before I could even think of doing what you are doing. Be very careful to not overdo. Let your knee be your guide.
I will, definitely! Thanks. After an active morning I have been icing, elevating, and resting this afternoon with my compression hose on. I am leaving them on almost all the time now, as much as I despise them, because they do seem to help my swelling.

I am so sorry that you and others have had to go through what you have had to go through. I thought I would too. Of course it isn't over until it's over, and maybe tougher times lie ahead for me.

So far the only reason I can think of for this to be going so well, is luck. I am usually the most unlucky person ever, so maybe it's just my turn to be lucky (?). My surgeon is pretty terrific too so I should give him credit. But then maybe luck played a part in my choice of surgeon. The first one I chose retired mid-stream (agh!), the second one I chose refused because I was a tough case (age, diabetes, mobility, multiple knee problems), but that second one set me up with this (third) surgeon who he said is better and who had replaced his mother's knees. So I figured that was as good a recommendation as I would find.

This afternoon the Home Health nurse came by and changed my dressing again. I definitely have a knee replacement type of incision under that dressing, but it is healing and looks pretty good. No angry redness or purpleness or oozing or infection and it looks a little more healed than it did last week. She was surprised at how well I am walking. I still have to remind myself to put my (surgery side) foot flat on the floor instead of tippy-toes but I am getting better at that gait correction.

She will be taking out the staples next Tuesday but promises it won't hurt as much as it sounds like it would. I'll believe that when I see/feel it! :rotfl:
 
Last edited:
Rejoice in not experiencing things others have! Enjoy the joy of being in less pain since your surgery and that will help you going into the next one! It sounds like you are already moving around better than before and building up your stamina from before the surgery!

I had the glue on both knees so didn't experience staples. Not sure how the zingers will respond but the way you are going, it will be a piece of cake!

Sounds like you are doing well!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The last few hours, on the other hand, have not been great. I haven't done much but my legs swelled so I had to take off my compression hose for a little while because they are so painfully tight. Also my knee pain level went up to about a 7 so I took two of my pain pills (the maximum) just now. Ugh. In the past they have worked, so I am waiting for them to kick in. Earlier I took a nap for about an hour and I am hoping for more sleep tonight or at least enough relief that I could forget about my knee for a while and surf the internet or something. I should probably ice and elevate although I have been icing a lot already today.
 
Be sure and ice for that swelling. Find a good spot where you can elevate your entire leg (toes above the nose) and ice away for at lest 45 minutes at a time. Just be sure to keep a kitchen towel between the ice source and your knee so you don't damage the skin. And....ice both front and back of your knee joint. I even iced like this when I slept at night. It can really make a difference with both pain and swelling.

She will be taking out the staples next Tuesday but promises it won't hurt as much as it sounds like it would. I'll believe that when I see/feel it! :rotfl:
We have a great set of articles on wound care that illustrates the surgical staples and how they are removed. It's really quite clever and basically painless unless skin has started to grow over part of the staple. They it may sting a little in that one spot. Check out the Wound Care articles....there is a tab that links to them at the top of the page.
 
Thank you!

Sorry I didn't answer earlier. The pain pills (hydrocodone + acetaminophen) "knocked me out like a light", as they say. So I have been sleeping deeply and soundly for several hours and only awakened when my sweetie (who lives next door) knocked to find out how I was doing, just now. I haven't had to take a lot of pain pills so far in my recovery, but thank goodness they work this well (for me, anyway).

I put my compression stockings back on before the pain pills took effect, and will probably start icing now. Thanks for pointing me to the article showing how they remove the staples. And thanks for your entire post, and for caring.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom