THR Candi's hip journey - two THR and a revision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @dandy_candi - so sorry I didn't catch you before you went in, but delighted to read your long and newsy report. I'm really really happy to hear how well you're doing and SO pleased you've finally reached this stage. You're clearly doing well - you even mention in passing that you got up to go to the loo! I found I was buzzing during the day after (adrenalin) then things settled. Pain all under control by the sounds of things? Keep us posted! :friends:

Hi @Miss Muffet and @Zelda yes, I got up twice last night to go to the bathroom and am feeling more mobile today. Day 1 post op-
Had some nausea this morning when my surgeon took out the valve thing out of my wound. Was sick then at 7 and couldn't keep breakfast down. Love how quick the anti nausea meds work in your IV. Sick again when hubby called at 9.30 and fell asleep then work back up with about 20 people coming to see me- my physician, nurses, physio, pharmacist, pastoral care lady, nurse that's coming out to take out my stitches and then I think there were more. Slept on and off between that until around 12 and had some lunch. Felt better by then as I had tramadol instead of the morphine one and they took off the patch that was slow releasing some meds. Had another nap and my mum car around 2 with a pretty little orchid plant and a top as a present. She stayed until 5 and I had a nap when they delivered dinner. It went cold but I woke up at about 6 and ate it. Lovely braised beef and some fruit salad. No BM as yet but having some stool softener drinks. Physio came at 4 and we walked up the hallway with a lower frame than yesterday- the other one yesterday was arm rests at chest height but I moved onto a normal frame today. Got up on my own to go to e bathroom and brush my teeth. Felt good. Shower tomorrow and my sister and mum are coming to visit.
Off to sleep now. Goodnight bonesmarties!!

Mobility sounding really good. Well done! Getting the meds cocktail is something they have to juggle as we're all different, eg I'm seemingly ok on morphine bu Tramadol sends me on a hippy trip. And agree about the anti-nausea drugs working efficiently. BM will happen when you get home - be assured. Hope you have prunes and prune cocktail at the ready? Oh how much will you enjoy that first shower?! Sleep tight :friends:

Hoorah! So glad you are feeling well enough to post. Sorry about your phone! I am exactly one week ahead of you in the recovery process. Take care!

RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.

Hi @dandy_candi ,
Congratulations from the other side of the world. I'm very pleased with your recovery posts. They are so clear (no brainfog involved, you seem to be very lucid at this early stage) - and you have a positive attitude and a good sense of humour considering the early days. I'm sure your husband means well, even if he was grumpy about you spending money (you deserved it and so did your sisters). Your husband is just cautious about spending - he sounds like mine in this respect. He knows you deserve it anyway. Had to laugh about you dropping the mobile down the toilet - sorry don't want to be mischievous, but the same happened to me a couple of years ago. My phone didn't survive it though - it was an old-fashioned Nokia. Now I've got a smart-phone.
And you'r making fast progress with your hip. Happy recovery! :)
Best wishes - Constanze

Hope you have prunes and prune cocktail at the ready? Oh how much will you enjoy that first shower?! Sleep tight :friends:
yes I have prunes, prune juice and even cranberry for UTI but I didn't have a catheter so will the enjoy the cranberry anyway! Sleeping for a few hours at a time then pain wakes me up a bit, not bad just uncomfortable. Icing lots and they are good here with ice, big bag In a pillowcase

Hoorah! So glad you are feeling well enough to post. Sorry about your phone! I am exactly one week ahead of you in the recovery process. Take care!

RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.

Lovely to hear from you- how are you feeling one week ahead? I can feel changes already in these first fee days.

Hi @dandy_candi ,
Congratulations from the other side of the world. I'm very pleased with your recovery posts. They are so clear (no brainfog involved, you seem to be very lucid at this early stage) - and you have a positive attitude and a good sense of humour considering the early days. I'm sure your husband means well, even if he was grumpy about you spending money (you deserved it and so did your sisters). Your husband is just cautious about spending - he sounds like mine in this respect. He knows you deserve it anyway. Had to laugh about you dropping the mobile down the toilet - sorry don't want to be mischievous, but the same happened to me a couple of years ago. My phone didn't survive it though - it was an old-fashioned Nokia. Now I've got a smart-phone.
And you'r making fast progress with your hip. Happy recovery! :)
Best wishes - Constanze

Yes my husband is just being money conscious as I don't get sick leave or holiday pay as I am only casual at work so he's just trying to conserve funds as I am having both hips done within 6 weeks of each other so having 3 months off work and not being eligible for social services makes funds tight. I know he means well.

Yes it is funny about the phone! :shrug: But what can you do! I have not done it before and it was funny as we were literally talking about how I have never cracked my screen as we walked to the toilets and then I did that! Then I nearly tripped over in an antique store as I didn't see the floor level change and that set me off in a case of the giggles! My sister said that my Dad had asked if she was bringing her kids and she said she has!!!! :heehee:

Thank you for your kind words.

So happy to hear how well you're doing! Slow and steady Lass and try and sleep as much as possible (it really helps the time fly by). How long is your anticipated stay in the hospital? Hugs! :friends:

Yes I am resting most of the time but it does feel good to move so i do that when I get the urge to. Yes sleep breaks up the day- no cable tv here and we have it at home so i find regular tv is pretty boring with only a few channels and no movies really. Looks like it will probably be a four night stay as they are talking of a Sunday discharge at this point.

Oh and I have staples and saw my incision when my dressing was changed yesterday. Incision is about 10cm long and looked a little red but nothing abnormal.

Icing lots and they are good here with ice, big bag In a pillowcase
Hey that's good. I enquired about ice in hospital and they said they didn't do it ..... I do wonder if they think it would eat up their time fetching and replacing the ice packs? Anyway I can honestly say that, once home, I did ice regularly and it really helps the swelling/bruising and makes movement a great deal easier. Keep up the resting - soon be home. Things are going really well and I'm very happy for you!

Oh it is so great to hear about your experience and that you are doing well!! It is so nice to get living plants - how special! Poor hubby, it is really tough on the other when one of you is in hospital. My hubby has been in hospital each year of the last 3 years and each time it is exhausting to keep life going, visiting them in hospital etc.
I am glad that you took your quilting in, how long do they think you will be in there?? I assume if you are not out on Friday they will keep you in on the weekend.

Rest up, be pampered and enjoying your quilting! Can't wait to see it

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Hi, Glad things went well with your surgery. Ask the nurse how to use your room phone. When I was in hospital I had to dial 0 or 9 before I dialled the phone number. You may have to go through the hospital switchboard first.
My husband lost his phone a week ago and two days later I found it in the bottom of the washing machine. How I missed it I will never know. He normally empties his pockets and I normally go through them again before putting the clothes in the washing machine. We tried the phone in the rice and also in those water absorbing crystals but it still does not work. The phone may need longer to dry out. Take the battery and SIM card out so that they do not rust. You may just have to wait longer for it to dry out properly. My hubby put the phone in a zip lock plastic bag with the rice.

I also had both a general and spinal anaesthetic and woke up back in my room shivering with cold. I had no memory of being in recovery at all. Those pre surgery warm blankets with the air blowing under them are a great idea. Really cosy. Loved it.

I am surprised you did not have a catheter inserted so that you did not have to get up or use a bedpan to urinate. I did. Apparently it is a common practice to have a catheter for about 48 hours but I asked for mine to be removed earlier. Those leg pumps are great as well. I found them very soothing but some people don't like them.

Did you have low blood pressure after the spinal block. I did and apparently it is not an uncommon thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back