THR Buttock pain 3 months post op<

I had the same thing with the foot-on-knee not being comfortable forever. I wonder if massage therapy would feel good? Somebody to loosen up the painful points.
 
It would be to be extremely light or I'd jump off the table
I actually called my surgeon a few hours ago and spoke with nurse. Of course Dr not in but she thought some type of massage too
Anyone know much about myofacial massage?
Honestly the way it feels I keep thinking about nerve damage but I had Posterior approach. I am gonna keep thinking the worst until I feel improvement.
 
Hi all
Well I am not getting the relief I hoped for from the bursa injection. It has been over 5 days and I do think it helped me slightly as far as the bursitis but more so I think it confirmed that I do have additional complications going on.
The pain in the butt literally has not improved at all.
I spoke with the Pain clinic nurse and she did confirm that they do Piriformis injections. I guess the next step when I get in is to work with the Dr try to determine if indeed that is the problem or what else could be going on?
The pain is constant and I'm trying all the usual things but am getting little relief.
Originally they gave me Norcos which honestly didn't really help the pain but made me mentally calmer and so in that way helped some. Now they gave me Tramadol which doesn't seem to be helping at all.
I know the real answer is not in the form of a pill but I'm suffering a lot and it seems like forever.
I already have been taking ambien at night to sleep and I have muscle relaxers but I just want this constant pain to end.
The reason for my replacement was AVN but what I've felt the last few months is much worse than before surgery.
I guess I just needed to vent but obviously any insight would be much appreciated.
Thank you
 
@Rkeilb I feel for you! I have no idea what's going on, and I have no idea what I'd do in your shoes except come on here and vent, too!

The myofascial massage I've experienced is anything but light. I've had stuff done on my back which feels like the sweet PTs are earning their red manicures the hard way-- but the results have been wonderful, after the digging in and the mobilization and the icing. And about 7 months after my first hip, I had some trigger point release therapy in the groin area, which hurts like heck In A Good Way so long as they hit the right spot.

I wish I had a clue to help you, but I don't. Here's what I can offer-- :console2:
 
Thank you
the little faces made me laugh.
I will update when I have some news
 
I'm so sorry to hear that you are still in so much pain. I think I would get a second opinion. I would find somebody who is a real expert. I looked at the reviews on line, and found my surgeon, Dr. Matta. I hope things improve for you.
 
Well I'm taking your advice
I called today to start the process of having all my records sent to a new Dr.
The follow up care from this Dr who I'd love to name at UW in Madison is non-existent.
It seems they can ruin your life and care less.
I have another appointment at The Pain clinic so hopefully we can figure something out. The bursitis does not appear to be the biggest portion of my pain although it was definitely part of it. The more this goes on the more I think it has to be nerve pain, it's unreal.
Josephine may have hit it on the head with the Piriformis Syndrome , obviously not positive but if that's what it is it's a severe case. Been that way from day 1 too I think the therapy just made it worse.
First time on here since the update and I'm on my phone so
Is there a mobile version, am I missing something? Seems hard to navigate
Thanks as always
 
Hi @Rkeilb ---- I feel for your situation, both the physical pain and the mental anxiety. I had the same pain in the butt as you, but it did eventually go away. I have 3 suggestions. 1) First thing is don't sit for more than a few minutes at a time. At least every 20 minutes, get up, march around the room, then sit back down. I mean march, lifting the knees up, not just walk, lifting the knees up stretches your hamstrings. But don't "throw" your knees up, raise and lower them in a controlled manner. Do about 50 steps this way. 2) Then, sit on your icepack. I literally left my icepack under my butt almost all day long on work days. and finally 3) sleep on your back, with a heating pad left on all night directly under your butt. I know they caution about sleeping on a heating pad, but if you buy a good quality one I wouldn't worry about it. About 3 weeks of doing all of this religiously and the pain in my butt is gone!
 
Thank you so much for your ideas I will put them to use. I'll get another ice pack for work and I have been trying hamstring stretching just not in that manner.
My Dr did Posterior approach so that muscle was cut and reattached so it's like he got it too tight, slightly off or something???
I am thinking about asking my Dr at pain center to give me an injection if he will. Then I start myofacial therapy soon so hopefully between everything that does it.
It has turned my recovery into a nightmare. Nerve pain if that's what it is
is almost unbearable. I just want my life back, I know I'll have pain but unable to sit is horrible.
Thank you so much!
 
@Rkeilb I had anterior so perhaps not the same issue you are having. It was suggested that my pain was due to traumatized periformis. I had a very tight periformis before surgery, so this just aggravated it more (along with everything else). But since you had posterior its very likely that your butt pain is due to the muscle being cut rather than over stretched as mine was. Still you cant go wrong with extensive icing both as a pain killer as well as an anti-inflammatory. The heating pad was my own invention and works great for me and allows me to sleep at least somewhat better. Also what pain-killers are you on? I found there were a couple of weeks where I had to take small doses of the narcotics, but on a regular schedule to function somewhat normally. There were side effects, but it was a trade off. Now I am just on Advil, 2 of them, 3 times per day. Someday I will be off those as well, but not yet. I tried cutting my dosage in half last week and my body didn't like that. You must find something that will kill the chronic pain, or at least dull it temporarily. Constant, chronic pain makes us exhausted, anxious, and depressed. Be kind to yourself. Try to think positive. I know its hard. We are all here for you!
 
Ya I suppose they are no two recoveries exactly the same but the pain sounds very similar. I'm already marching all over the house, kind of feels foolish at first but if it helps I don't care. It kind of forces you to do the stretches where if ur just doing them on ur own you know what tends to happen.
Do you feel your pain was from the muscle pushing on the sciatic nerve?
As far as pain killers Ibuprofen 400 mg 3 times a day and at first when I went to pain center they gave me Norcos but they do not want to refill it now so they gave me Tramadol. I don't find that the Tramadol does anything for me so after 6 days I stopped taking it. I thought why worry about side effects if it's not helping.
The Norcos dulled it but I know they are not the answer and Dr's are so strict with narcotics now. Rightfully so but it also makes it hard on people who temporarily need them.
Heat, ice and Marching the government has not tried to control yet.
Thanks again
 
Hi everyone
Saw the Dr at the pain center today and received another injection in the ischial tuberosity area. I now realize I don't know much on this subject and honestly am not sure if the injection was into a muscle (I believe so) or a bursa?
Am really sore and depressed at this point and tired of just laying around. I am supposed to go back to work Thursday so I hope I'm up to it.
I brought up the Piriformis but he thought by where and how I described my pain this was a better option. Hope so!
Waiting on my records being sent before I can see new Orthopedic Dr that's closer to home.
Just want to get better and keep moving forward.
Hope I get some help from latest injection
Wishing things would have went smoother with my recovery but will try to keep faith
Thanks
 
Hi again. I agree with you on the meds. All the narcotics make me sick, but if you really need them, you need them! Fortunately, my doc was very free with the narcotics, but I hardly used them. I took Vicodin for a while in the beginning and then just occasionally from 4-6 weeks post op to help sleep. Things are better now in that department. I take the Advil 400mg 3x daily also. I didn't think it was doing anything until I stopped taking it and realized it really does help keep things loose. I also swear by my "magic oil" LOL.
To answer your question no, I don't think the butt pain I had was sciatica. I think it was inflammation (trochantic bursitis I think its called) that kind of forced the muscle into a painful knot, it that makes sense. Sitting on the ice pack was the magic bullet for me. And the marching, but don't march too energetically or it will be counterproductive. Think of it like marching in slow motion. Lift - set down on heel, roll to toe. And no more than maybe 50 or 60 steps at a time, then rest. Then in 20 or 30 minutes do it again. It worked for me, but you may be different. Just remember be kind to yourself. I saw your post in the "Post Op Blues" thread and believe me we've all been there. But you've got to focus on relieving the pain and then work from there. We're all rooting for you!
 
@gwenc so tell me about the magic oil?
Did you get sore from the marching?
I really have been doing it and I don't want to over do. I saw your instructions in last post
Thanks
 
@Rkeilb I will pm you on the oil. And no, the marching does not make me sore. But don't overdo, just listen to your body. its the best teacher!
 
Hi all
Not noticing any improvement with the last injection in the ischial tuberosity Strange name and not 100% clear on exactly what that is but no change in pain or being able to sit comfortably. Went to 1st appointment with myofacial therapy and actually feel worse. They gave me the different balls to work around on my backside and I don't think I agree with that method of treatment.
I'm really struggling with knowing how to get through this. I feel abandoned by my surgeon and it's taking forever to get the 2nd opinion Dr set up.
If somehow I could get the pain under control I would be fine but that's not happening.
Went back to work today and being on my feet so much was rough.
I'm sure in comparison to what some go through I should be grateful just need to feel some improvement.
Wonder what the record is for icing after surgery? Not something I want to hold.
Will keep trying!
Thanks
 
Prayers for answers and healing @Rkeilb
 
Sending you strong thoughts for healing! And do try the oil with the gentle marching and ice.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom