TKR bumneej's recovery thread<

Good Morning! I have a small concern right now about infection. I have an infected ingrown toenail on the same side as my knee replacement. It is a very small infection. I called my surgeon and they said to go to my primary care doctor asap. I went yesterday and she clipped the nail back and put me on Cephalexin (Keflex) 500mg twice a day for 5 days. She felt this was a very adequate treatment. Getting an infection in the knee has always been my biggest fear. How worried should I be about this? Thank you!
 
I also had an infection of an ingrown toenail. It was treated just like yours and I had no problems with the infection spreading to my knee.

You have done the right thing. Your toenail has been treated and you're now taking antibiotics, so I don't think there's much risk at all of the infection getting to your knee.
 
Hello....we will be leaving on a trip next week and will be flying. Just wondering if I will make it through security with my new knee or what I should be prepared for. Some people I have talked to say it's no problem while others say to be prepared for a pat down and to show my scar. We will be going early to the airport just in case of a delay because of this. Thank you!!
 
Hello...I haven't posted for a while and have been doing really well. I finished PT and now just try to do some walking and light exercises to keep my knee flexible. But, about a month ago I developed an itching problem. I seem to itch all over but mainly on my lower legs, both legs. I have some red spots on the legs also. I have scratched them until they bleed...not a good thing. Now I am worried about an allergic reaction to the metal in the knee replacement. Does anyone know if that could be a problem 4 months after surgery? I have not started any new medications or used anything new on my body or in the house to be causing this. Thanks for you help!
 
It might be best to see your PCP about this. Even if you haven't started a new drug, and I don't know what medications you take, but sometimes a medication sensitivity doesn't appear right away.
 
Have you changed your laundry detergent recently? I agree with maryo52 - best to see your PCP.
 
I have not changed anything, laundry detergent, meds, etc. I have been thinking I should see my pcp but was hoping it would just stop. I guess it's time to make the appt. Thank you for replying!
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom