TKR bumneej's recovery thread<

My husband is leaving Wed. for a week long trip. I am a little apprehensive about being alone.
Quite a few of us went through this whole recovery alone. I did, so did Josephine. It just takes some planning ahead. I had lots of frozen meals and protein drinks on hand. Plus other necessaries.
 
Today I saw my OS for my 4 week check. He said my incision, X-rays and everything looked great. He was a little disappointed in my flex. He said extension looked good and I am probably close to being where I should be. But the flex is probably 100. He is disappointed in that and said I was a little behind where I should be and now I am discouraged. If it is 100 that is an improvement from my last PT measurement and I would be very happy about that. Tonight I am hurting, my knee is stiff and I'm feeling sorry for myself and wishing I had never had this done. I know this is just one of those days and hopefully tomorrow will be better. He also did not like the fact that I take a pain pill before bed. He is afraid I will become dependent on the pills to get to sleep. I take 2 pain pills a day for peats sake. One mid morning and one before bed. I take Tylenol in between those which doesn't help much. So no refills on the pain pills. Luckily since I do not take that many I still have quite a few left. I didn't do all that much today but was exhausted when I got home. Had to take care of our parrot and dog and then I iced and elevated and relaxed. It will be bedtime soon and I will take my pain pill and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. Thanks for letting me vent.
 
@bumneej

Yes! Those are the sort of comments that have been so depressing and discouraging!

I wrote in my thread that I kept having medical people or a former PT tell me that their goal for me was to have at least 120 degrees of flex by FOUR WEEKS.

As if any of this is willful. The knee heals as it heals.

I’m responding to say that I know how you feel and that I’m sorry you’re getting those kinds of messages.

It sounds like you’re doing very, very well. I know it’s hard to drown out those negative comments, but, for what it’s worth, you’re doing great and will continue getting better and better!
 
As if any of this is willful. The knee heals as it heals.
Bingo! Why, oh why, are we treated as if we gave a lot of control over this!

We have some control, in that if we overdo exercise and activity, that can cause increased pain and swelling. But we don’t have control over our body’s time frame of healing.

I’m so sorry your surgeon said things that discouraged you. They have no idea the power they have with their words. My surgeon never once told me this is a long recovery and that I’ll get there to the end. My checkups were basically X-rays, ROM measuring and telling me to do things Bonesmart said not to. He was usually happy with my numbers because he pushed my knee to where he wanted it (yes, it was painful) :blackcloud:

Try to relax. 100 at 4 weeks is great! I wonder what his ROM would be at 4 weeks if he had a knee replacement.
 
I am 6 weeks out and I feel the same as you do. I saw my surgeon today and while he is thrilled with my progress of course I'm sitting here saying this is all I get after a whole 6 weeks?? Kind of ridiculous when I think of it logically. The aching you mentioned is such a thorn in my side and I wish my knee would warn me ahead of time if I'm embarking on an activity that I will pay for in pain the next day but I'm learning to remember this to shall pass and give my body a break. I've had such bouts of depression with this short recovery but it's ups and downs every day and every time I do even the smallest of things pain free that before my poor arthritic knee would have screamed about I'm grateful. Good luck on your appointment!!
 
It is terrible that your surgeon was pretty negative with you today. To echo others your knee doesn’t care about timelines set by you, your PT or your doctor it is going to heal at its own rate. I am very fortunate that my PT is constantly beating into my head that the lack of flexion is not a work ethic issue. I am simply not a flexible person who was injured for many years and it is going to come back slowly. Some days it is hard to not focus on what we can’t do. You will definitely get to the other side of this but it is tough when you are at the early stages
 
But the flex is probably 100. He is disappointed in that and said I was a little behind where I should be
He is wrong. Most OS don't expect 90 degrees at 6 weeks and look where you are! Enjoy that wonderful bend and don't listen to that party pooper! I don't know why some doctor's are never satisfied with our progress!
 
Thank you for your replies!! I am choosing to ignore my surgeon because I think I am doing just fine. Even my PT was surprised at what he said. My PT measured me yesterday and I am at 105 flex and still at 15 for extension. I talked with my PT yesterday and we came to an agreement that he would only push me as far as I want to go. After he did his thing he put me on the TEDS machine with an ice pack. It felt so good and today has been my best day since surgery. I realize I could go back to a struggle tomorrow but I have sure enjoyed today without a lot of pain. Maybe some day I will actually be happy I had the surgery.
 
Maybe some day I will actually be happy I had the surgery.
One of our members just published an update you might want to read. It does take time but I am pretty sure you will be happy you had your surgery.
 
I would have loved to be at 100 at 4 weeks! You are making progress and it is really very early days. You're getting there! :walking:
 
Well, another set back. I am not sure what is going on. I think I over did it at PT on Friday because my legs have been aching so much.

My knee has not hurt that much but my legs sure do. I did the recumbent bike for six minutes and was able to do a backwards full rotation, couldn't quite make a forward one. I was so happy about that so I kept going and pushing harder for a forward rotation. I don't know if that is what is causing this aching or not.

I am now only taking 2 Tylenol 325mg alternating with 2 Ibuprofen 200mg about every 4 to 5 hrs. This does not help. I don't know if I am sitting too much or what. Also yesterday afternoon I got extremely dizzy and nauseous. I had taken one hydrocodone 5mg/325mg a couple of hours before. I don't know if I had a reaction to that or not. It has not bothered me before but I stopped taking it just in case. I was only taking 2 a day so it was not that hard to stop. The nausea and dizziness latest the entire evening and I also had chills.

This morning I felt better. Still a little lightheaded but much better. And I was hungry. This evening the dizziness is gone but the leg aching is driving me crazy. And I am buried in blankets so still a little chilly. I will definitely be calling my doctor tomorrow but I am not sure just how concerned I should be. I do not have a fever and my incision looks fine.

Has anyone else experienced this? I really need to fire my PT I think!!!
 
Did you eat a good bit before you took the hydrocodone? They can be really rough on your tummy. I made sure too ate or drank something with a lot of protein before taking my meds. I imagine your nausea and dizziness came from the meds. I hated the way they made me feel, but hated the pain more!
 
I did eat ½ a peanut butter and honey sandwich before taking the pain pill. Maybe that wasn't enough. I have not had much of an appetite since surgery and had not eaten much up to that point. I have not taken any pain pills today other then the Tylenol and Ibuprofen which doesn't help much. I am really getting discouraged with all of this. I have read about others depression on here and hadn't had a problem with it until now. It's hard not to get depressed with such an up and down recovery. Thank you for your reply!
 
I really need to fire my PT I think!!!
So stay home for a week or so, do your daily activities and some very gentle stretches, and see how you do. PT can be helpful, if it’s the right approach, but it’s not essential.

Maybe the bike did make your leg ache. Hopefully with a few days rest it will be better. I forced a front rotation at 3.5 weeks post op because they rang a bell for you the first time you were able to do it. And I wanted them to ring the bell for me! :doh:(That was before I found Bonesmart and learned that I did NOT have to work hard in this recovery like I thought.)
 
I have not had much of an appetite since surgery and had not eaten much up to that point.
I didn't want much to eat either so I kept protein drinks on hand. I would drink one before I took the pill. It helped.
 
During my first knee I had virtually zero appetite for the first month. My wife made all my favorites trying to get me to eat but nope. I survived on yogurt, fruit and not much else. The aching in the legs may be from overdoing it with the bike. Your symptoms sound almost like you had some sort of bug there are many things going around this time of year. Just a thought. I hope that things sort themselves out for you.
 
Boy, I know you are having a hard time, but compared to my 52Rom at 6 1/2 weeks I would say you are knocking it out of the park. Of course my MUA has played into my situation.

Hang in there and relax. You will get there!
 
Those night sweats ate awful, I had them after my first TKR 2 years ago, slept on a towel as my husband was changing sheets all the time. You are doing better than you think, I recommend doing your own PT at home, I am this time around and doing so much better! Best of luck!
 
I have read about others depression on here and hadn't had a problem with it until now. It's hard not to get depressed with such an up and down recovery.
Unfortunately recovery does not happen in a straight line. There are many ups and downs. Hang in there - you are doing great for so early out.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom