TKR Buckbuck’s new knee<

Plenty of time to strengthening type exercises after your knee is recovered from the surgery.

Thank you @kneeper. I should have said the squat, was really just the motion of a very shallow squat with the intent of squeezing and straightening my leg as close to “0” degrees at the top of the movement as possible. It wasn’t intended for strengthening the quad at all.
 
Hi .. are you in USA or U.K.?
I am 52 yr old female 3.7 week post op. In USA.
I was encouraged to wean off oxycodone by surgeon and PT after ~1.5 to 2 weeks. With all the opioid addiction issues in the media I was nervous ... and have not had any since day 13 post op. I am on extra strength Tylenol (1000 mgs every 6hrs) and celebrex (2x a day). I have discomfort during the night.. I am tempted to take 2.5 mg or 5 mgs oxycodone before bed .. but I also know I like how I overall feel not being in oxycodone.
my range of motion is 5 extension and
105 bend...

Best of luck to you.
Keep up the good work
 
Hi @KTO
I’m in the U.S. in Connecticut. I too dislike how I feel on opioids. I couldn’t wait to start titrating down. However everyone here will tell you, if your hurting, your undermedicated. You need your sleep to recover effectively. It’s great that you’re managing with Tylenol during the day. If it’s not effective at night, don’t worry about continuing with narcotics to rest.

Knee surgery pain typically has an expiration date, so your need for these meds is acute and not chronic like back pain (which I’ve been dealing with since my 20’s). Therefore, really don’t need to worry about addiction.

I take 10 mg Oxycodone before bed and sometimes 5 mg around 2am if I need it. Today is the first time I’ve tried 5 mg instead of 10 mg first thing in the morning so I don’t feel like a zombie. We’ll see how things go this afternoon.

My OS office says, there is no reason to feel bad about needing narcotics if you need them and most of the time 6 weeks is about average.

You sound like you’re doing great! Stay positive and make sure you’re getting enough rest!
 
Do you have discomfort at night?
 
Yes, after the 10 mg wears off, I get uncomfortable with shooting pains, general discomfort from staying in the same position and basic low level throbbing in the knee. I usually push myself to make it until 2am and take a 5mg which holds me until around 6am.

I am doing a decent amount of PT every day though. But I feel like it’s really helping me. I’m walking better and I’m able to drive now (when I’m not medicated).
 
It is difficult to get a good night’s sleep the first month after a TKR. I hated seeing the sun go down during my recovery. But I was able to take short naps during the day to get me through.

While I didn’t like the fuzziness from oxycodone, I knew I’d only need it for a few weeks. I started weaning down around 3-4 weeks post op. Then I had to have a second surgery and didn't really need anything after a week. Everyone is different, but it’s best not to under medicate.
 
After about a month, I did well on the Tramadol/Tylenol combo. I was so glad to get off of that Oxy! As you heal, you'll start forgetting to take your meds. That's when you know it's time to wean off of them.
 
@sistersinhim i still haven’t quite gotten there yet. Just ADL gets me pretty painfull by the end of the day. In fact last night I took 10mg before bed and needed another 5 by 1am.

Then it hit...at 5am I was woken up by my very old friend vertigo. So bad I couldn’t move. I was diagnosed with vestibular migraine about three years ago and it has been in remission for about 1.5 years. I’m not sure what triggered it, but I fear it might be the oxy. So even though I need it, I’m afraid to take it. For those of you who’ve ever had it you will understand when I say, I’d rather be in pain than have severe vertigo.

I took a Zofran since it has anti-vert effects, but basically, I’ve had to sit in bed with my head in one position all day today. If I look down, up, or right I’m spinning like a top. It’s gottwn a little better now here in the late afternoon.

I’m terrified because last time it was triggered, it lasted for weeks. It will severely get in the way of my rehab. It will also continue to make my overall outlook very low.

I also forgot to mention that menopause came on like gang busters in the last two months, so I’m struggling with heat flashes, cognitive stuff and depression.

One step forward, two steps back? We’ll see.
 
Oh no, I’ve had a few episodes of vertigo, it’s horrible. You have no choice but to stay in bed, you can’t risk falling. I do hope it doesn’t last 2 weeks. In the meantime, maybe you can keep your knee moving by doing some exercises in bed.
 
Motion-sickness pills help me when I get dizzy. You could might try those. I took those in the place of the Zofran for the most part, and did well with the Oxy. I hope they help you. I hate vertigo. I'm with you there, the pain is better than the vertigo.

Oh, aren't hot flashes fun? Black Cohosh and plant soy help those.
 
I’ve had bouts of vertigo and my pcp has had to write a script for me. Getting out of bed or even lifting my head was not possible. Give your OS a call to see if he can prescribe something else if you think the oxycodone triggered it because with vertigo you have a chance of falling. Tramadol and Tylenol has worked for many people, it might be worth a try.
 
Thank you all for your comments. Funny @sistersinhim I grabbed the Zofran they gave me to help with the nausea since I didn’t have any meclizine. It did help a bit. It’s been 14 hours since it started and I haven’t kicked it yet. I get it pretty bad when I transition from lying down to standing and vise versa. So at the moment, I’m dreading going to bed.

I’m going to try to sleep on 5 mg oxy tonight in case it’s being caused by it.

Also...thanks for the advice on the menopause meds. I’m currently taking plant estrogen, but haven’t tried black cohosh. I’ll try anything at this point.

Cheers!
 
Good luck! I hope you were able to get a good night's sleep without the dizzies on waking up!
 
I just love your thread, this is just what I need today....having one of those days!!!
 
Aw @amymj

I’m sorry you’re having a bad day. I haven’t been doing this too long, but I’m starting to understand how things can swing from one end of the spectrum right over to the other just in a matter of hours, let alone days.

So many things affect our well being when we’re recovering from such a difficult procedure.

This morning, everything about PT just hurt which we exacerbated by the vertigo. Some things I just couldn’t do. When I got home, I just got into bed and slept all day.

I am at 105 and 0 as of today! Small victories!

Tomorrow will be a better day for both of us. /hug
 
Update on ROM after today’s PT sesh. I’m at 105/0

Tomorrow I’m planning to start spinning on my bike in the garage every other day. Will be starting at 5 mins and working up from there with zero resistance. The plan is to only do it if there isn’t pain.

I’ve already got my a goal aligned for June. A 45 mile gravel grinder (on a cyclocross bike) in California. Something to look forward to and work toward.
 
That's a great goal!! I too am a fan of biking! Gravel Grinders!!! Didn't expect to be hearing those words on Bonesmart but come to think of it, the term is appropriate! Lots of gravel grinders here in Iowa. I invite you to try RAGBRAI in July!!??
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom