BTKR Surgery date set. I have a few questions about stairs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking along the same lines Tim. A week to ten days to get those knees moving then come on home. These reply are certainly making me more comfortable.
 
This is just my opinion, but you do not have to go to rehab if you don't want to. I am going to throw in one sobering reason you might prefer to skip rehab: Infection.

I live in California and work in the same acute care hospital where both of my TKR's were done. Every patient we admit from local extended care facilities (aka "rehabs") is automatically assumed to have 1) scabies, 2) C. Difficile, and 3) MRSA, until proven otherwise. Now that's scary! Some facilities fare better than others, however no matter how beautiful and "clean" an extended care facility appears infectious disease can be invisibly rampant..

There is at least one surgeon here in the Atlanta area who will not do the procedure, if you want to go to rehab after the hospital for the same reason as quoted. He tells the patient to change their mind about a rehab or find another surgeon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: pdx
First off, I am a double, not a bilateral, but I agree with pdx above. This is just my opinion, but you do not have to go to rehab if you don't want to. I am going to throw in one sobering reason you might prefer to skip rehab: Infection.

I live in California and work in the same acute care hospital where both of my TKR's were done. Every patient we admit from local extended care facilities (aka "rehabs") is automatically assumed to have 1) scabies, 2) C. Difficile, and 3) MRSA, until proven otherwise. Now that's scary! Some facilities fare better than others, however no matter how beautiful and "clean" an extended care facility appears infectious disease can be invisibly rampant.

For showering, of course heed your OS' recommendations, however fyi there is a waterproof wound dressing film called "Tegaderm" (available from Amazon and some pharmacies). Shingle a few 4x4" Tegaderms over whatever dressing you've got, and you can shower! Assuming you have some kind of tub-shower combination in the upstairs bath, install a hand-held shower hose (Waterpik, Moen, etc) and a shower chair, and you are good to go! The same advice holds for your basement shower, as you will want to sit (trust me).

As for PT, is there a back gate/side entrance you could leave unlocked so they can come & go for apointments? Or an attached garage you can open for them with a remote?
Great idea [emoji122]

Theresa 9/21/15 left knee
 
After the very timely post by clipless (THANK YOU!!!) I am strongly pushing for being at home after the first 3 days in the hospital. It is a little frustrating that I was told I'll be evaluated after surgery before they can make the decision to release me to home....vs a rehab facility but I guess everyone is different. I'm a trooper. I'll be home! LOL

I did read the Recliner thread and I've opted to rent a recliner / riser.... $180 per month. Based on your experiences do you think after a month I can go back to sleeping in my bed?
 
I only had one knee done but I never slept in my recliner. But it was great for elevating during the day. It may take some experimenting to figure out what works for you, but my guess is a month should be fine.
 
My knees were replaced a year apart, so (again) I don't want to come off as an expert on bilaterals, but I see no reason you won't be able to sleep in your own bed right away. If your surgeon wants you in a rental cpm machine, you'll need to be in bed to use it. Bed is also the place to practice your early heel slides and other simple stretches. Initially you might need a lifter strap or someone to help you lift your legs in and out of bed. For elevation I have this thing:
[Bonesmart.org] BTKR Surgery date set. I have a few questions about stairs

I place a soft pillow in the recessed area ^ and sleep with both my legs up, and ice where I need it. When I get tired of the leg elevator I just throw it off. Within a month, probably sooner, you'll figure out how to sleep comfortably on your side.
 
Great points. I still may need the recliner during the day. My girlfriend will be here but she works from home...and anything I can use to get up on my own and hobble with a walker to the rest room or fridge for ice will be helpful. That's my thought anyway.....
 
I wish I had a nice recliner! You'll want/need that change of scenery anyway. For TV watching I "make do" with an L-shaped sofa, but it's not ideal.
 
I slept in my bed after a month, but I used my recliner during the day after that (but we don't have any other comfortable things to sit on downstairs).


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I needed to be in my bed every night, even though I didn't sleep for quite a while.
When my in home PT and nurses came I had a garage door opener beside my chair. The nurses honked, I opened the garage door and they came up the basement stairs. This was nice because it was a very cold, snowy winter so the snowy mess was in the garage/basement and the nurses didn't have to climb up snowy stairs outside.
 
Hi @MartialKnees! I had BTKR Oct. 8, so I'm just over 2 weeks out. My legs were very strong so my recovery has been ridiculously speedy. I was discharged home, 3 days post-op. While in hospital they had me walking - with a walker- the day after surgery. In-hospital PT taught me how to do stairs and get in and out of a car. I also continued the exercises I had begun 6 weeks pre-op. I began using a cane this past week, although I still use my walker when I'm tired.

The hardest part for me, and this lasted about 4 days after I returned home, was lifting my legs into my bed or into the car. They felt like 400 pound weights, barely connected to the rest of my body. My husband would lift my feet on and off the bed each time with me admonishing him: "Don't drop my feet, don't drop my feet!" The idea of the pain if he dropped my feet was terrifying. But once this ended and I could scootch over to the end of the bed and slide my feet down the side to the floor, it's been very smooth sailing. A recliner would probably be as good as having that pair of hands the first scary week or so.

I have dissolvable stitches. I took sponge baths in the hospital and started showers when I returned home. The first few times I wrapped my knees in Saran Wrap, but I'm not even sure that was necessary. It depends what closures your OS uses.

The BoneSmart mantra could not be more right on: Rest, Ice, Medicate, Elevate.

Best of luck!!
 
The leg lifter saves you from worrying/depending on someone to lift your legs. That and my pillows were what I used most.
 
I wish I had a nice recliner!

We went out and bought a recliner the other day. My 10 year old daughter has stated in no uncertain terms that, up until my surgery, it's hers.


I also continued the exercises I had begun 6 weeks pre-op. ...

The hardest part for me,..., was lifting my legs into my bed or into the car. They felt like 400 pound weights, barely connected to the rest of my body.

I searched and found some of the exercises, and have been starting to do them. What really surprised me was laying flat on the floor, and doing leg lifts, that on the first one, I could just feel the bones in my right knee grating together. I didn't really expect to feel anything like that since there was no weight on them.
 
Oh dear, make sure you are doing exercises for pre-surgery. Glutes, hamstrings, toes pointing up/toes pointing down, and arm strengthening for people having BTKR.
 
Oh, yeah.

I don't remember where I saw leg lifts, but that's something we always had to do in phys ed, and football practice, so I just figured I'd try a few for old times sake. As I said, it was surprising that just contracting muscles could cause me to feel bone on bone.

Some days at work I get to get in a machine and not get out for several hours at a time. Other days, I get lots of exercise. I worked six hours yesterday (Saturday), and went back and forth between three different machines. I tried counting how many ups and downs I did, but I lost track somewhere in the mid twenties. (That doesn't count the time I spent in the ditch, shoveling.)

There's also a recumbent exercise bike on the way, and I'm going to start putting some time in on that beforehand too.
 
I had BTKR Oct. 8, so I'm just over 2 weeks out. My legs were very strong so my recovery has been ridiculously speedy. I was discharged home, 3 days post-op. While in hospital they had me walking - with a walker- the day after surgery.

Well, you set the bar pretty high. I can be very competitive sometimes. :)

(And before Josephine comes along and smacks me down, I'm kidding.

To say I'm a bit apprehensive about this whole thing would be an understatement. It's got me being uncharacteristically thorough in getting prepared, both mentally and physically.

I can only hope to do as well as you have.)
 
We went out and bought a recliner the other day. My 10 year old daughter has stated in no uncertain terms that, up until my surgery, it's hers.

I like your daughter's style.
 
My recliner was my fortress after my BTKR. I slept there, ate there, watched TV from there, slept there, dozed there, and slept there some more.
 
All of you are giving me confidence in getting my two knees replaced on November 23. I hope not to go to a rehab. I think I am strong. I have a recliner question. Don't you have to sleep with your legs straight. Can that be done with a regular recliner? How do you find where to rent a recliner? Should I ask the Hospital at my Pre op class next week? I have a hard time sleeping in general, let alone after surgery. My husband says to get a recliner for sure. Good luck with everyone. I will be following your recovery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom