Guest viewing is limited

BTKR coming up soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Snowysmom, my doc made sure exactly what help I'd have if I came home rather than go to rehab. I'm very fortunate that hubby has his own business, works from home, and is consistently available whenever I need anything. Doc said that was definitely a deciding point BUT the final decision was left until a couple of days after surgery to see how I was really doing.

I had another private discussion with hubby to make sure he was up to the challenge, he spent majority of time at the hospital with me and knew exactly what would be needed. And, as hubby pointed out - you get better during recovery so things get easier :)
 
I made an appointment with my OS to go over my list of questions which keeps getting longer every day! My DH is coming to so he can ask his questions and be an extra set of ears. I am bringing up going to rehab afterwards. I would like to see that if I am meeting all the goals for going home, can I go home instead of to a rehab. That is my major anxiety about the surgery and my family is getting tired of hearing me obsess about it. Soon they will muzzle me. I have my preop class set up for early February. I don't have the date of preop testing yet but that will be closer to the middle of February. Alot of my questions have been answered here and I am following those who have had their BTKR done already. It helps to see how others are doing postop. My questions to the doctor are more what he does for pain med, anticoagulants, anesthesia, etc. I want to know all I can before the surgery.
 
I had a Bilateral TKR on 12/16/13 and spent 3 weeks in a rehab. facility. I can't speak highly enough about it, although I think it isn't a typical rehab. Place. It was brand new, only has about 28 single bed rooms, and handles only hip & knee replacement rehab. Absolutely every employee in the place treated you with respect and a friendly smile no matter what you needed or when you needed it.
So they aren't all bad, but it might take a little work to find the good ones.
 
I went to my knee replacement class last weekend. It really helped lessen the anxiety. 2 of us are having BTKRs. The nurse and PT teaching it said I am a good candidate to try to go right home from the hospital. I had my preop assessment 2 days ago and that went relatively well. I saw the OS yesterday for a Q&A session. That went really well. I told him my goal was to go home from the hospital and try to avoid rehab. He told me to go for it. He believes I can do it so I am giving it a try. The difference in the hospital is that the PT's will not do stairs if you are definitely going to rehab. If you want to try to go home they include stairs in the PT. I am looking at a couple of rehab places as my backup plan in case I have to go for a few days. I am looking forward to surgery day but I am anxious about the whole recovery. Reading the recovery journals has helped. Everyone is doing so well. I am also studying the reading materials here for icing and elevation and not allowing the PT to do anything that causes pain. I am so glad I found this site.
 
Sounds like you're getting set. What is your surgery date?
 
I've been taking stairs one at a time for so long now. It is slow going not to mention painful. I CAN NOT wait to cruise up and down stairs without thinking twice about it!
 
Snowysmom.....I love a BoneSmartie with a plan!!!! It sounds like you are rarin' to go and that your attitude is great. This is what we like to hear! Keep up the planning. It does help things go more smoothly.
 
Hi Snowysmom , welcome to Bonesmart. I too am seriously considering double knee replacement surgery , I have the initial Doc appointment on Feb 28. This website has been a blessing, so glad I stumbled upon it. Its great to connect with many other people that are going through the same process.
Good Luck to you !!!
 
All of a sudden there seems to be a "gaggle" of us going for BTKRs. We'll be able to encourage each other and share our journeys to new knees!
 
My BTKR is on March 3. We had hand rails put up in the bathroom, one on each wall. I have the shower chair. We found a great contractor who specializes in installing safety equipment in homes, mainly for the elderly or people having surgery like me. He is fantastic with alot of good advice. He is coming back to put in a hand grip at the top of our short flight of stairs (6 steps.) I have 2 sets of icing wraps and the elevated toilet seat is coming next week. When I had the preop assessment it made me realize that this is real and coming soon!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom