Guest viewing is limited

BTHR coming soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
smrt2run welcome to your international BoneSmart family... and we are a family, a family that understands, supports and stays with you through your journey of recovery..

You have had to deal with a lot with your cancer, but with your positive attitude recovery is so much easier.

Yes, you will get your life back, yes you will be free from bone on bone pain, yes you will be able to do what other 20+ year olds are doing.... Much to look forward to..
 
smrt2run welcome to your international BoneSmart family... and we are a family, a family that understands, supports and stays with you through your journey of recovery..

You have had to deal with a lot with your cancer, but with your positive attitude recovery is so much easier.

Yes, you will get your life back, yes you will be free from bone on bone pain, yes you will be able to do what other 20+ year olds are doing.... Much to look forward to..

Thanks so much for your kind words. It makes the strange emotions that are occurring pre-surgery easier to deal with. One second I'm totally fine and the next I'm down and upset. Cancer treatment are done for good in October so just have to deal with it until then. Really the side effects of the steroids have been the worst part of it. It is amazing how a tiny little pill a few days a month can cause so much damage.
 
Well we will be going on the same day, let me know how I can help, been pretty busy getting things at work ready for the surgery , but I will keep my eye out
 
Thanks bellaroma

It's amazing how many things need to be done before surgery. I feel like I am taking a break from life for a few weeks. Hope you are as excited as I am for the 1st. Can't come soon enough... Where in the US are you
 
Anyone have any experience with acute rehab? Been told it would be a good option bc I'm getting both hips done at once. The person who told me was from the insurance company which I thought was equally strange.
 
Just my opinion, smrt2run - IF (and it's a big IF) the facility is truly a rehab place with a structured post hip replacement program then it might be beneficial for you - however if it is just a nursing home because someone who doesn't know about bilateral hip replacements thinks you need more nursing care and the PT program there is geared to geriatric patients - then no I don't think it would benefit you. The choice really is yours and depends on what you want and need. Many of us who have had BTHRs have done very well going home and doing exercises the doctor and hospital PT suggest. Some have even gone home with little help from family, friends, neighbors. Ask lots of questions before deciding - and if it's an insurance person suggesting this - make very very sure they are also saying they will pay for it!

LOL I was told by my OS and my insurance company (an HMO) that I did not qualify for post op rehab because I wasn't sick enough! And I was 64 at the time - albeit in fairly good health other than having just had both hip joints replaced.
 
The woman said they would pay for a hospital based rehab facility. The social worker had a few places that they usually send patients to, so I assume they can vouch for them. I figured to take the extra pt even though I'd much prefer to be home.
 
[Bonesmart.org] BTHR coming soon...
smrt2run, you should find out what facilities your insurance will pay for and check them out. You do not want to waste time or insurance money on a facility that will not give you what you need. You cannot count on others to do these things for you. You very often have to advocate for yourself.


It is really important that you are satisfied with the facility as you will not be at your best when you first arrive there.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] BTHR coming soon...
 
[Bonesmart.org] BTHR coming soon...
for your surgery tomorrow, smrt2run. You're on your way to being pain free and being able to get back to all the things you love to do. You'll need to start a new thread in the hip recovery area when you're able to post after your op.

Take care---we care. [Bonesmart.org] BTHR coming soon...
 
Thanks bottomshollow ! I wish I had thought of visiting the places earlier. I think I've settled on the one closest I'm proximity because I'd like to also do my outpatient therapy there. What you said makes perfect sense though.
 
Well buddy, Our time has come. I will be thinking of you and wishing you all the best. You will do great and you will have both done, so there will be no need for a repeat performance. I look at the first 3 weeks as the worst, and then it should be uphill for both of us. Hope your rehab place is good and that you don't get cabin fever too quickly. At least you will be waited on hand and foot. And we both will have a shiny pair of new hips and be able to get back to the activities we love. My surgery is at 11:20 eastern time, what about you? I will deeply miss my coffee in the morning.
 
Ah I'm incredibly excited more than I am nervous as I know there is no other option. Just found out I need to be at the hospital at 9:30 for my 12:30 surgery. Best of luck again, I'm thinking that you be alert and ready and won't even need coffee to start your day. Most of my old shoes are now worn due to my limp and poor gait. Excited to put on some new shoes waiting in my closet! Here's hoping to bearable hospital food and good pain medicine!
 
Good luck this morning. I am excited to be done and get life back, but I do not leave for the hospital for 3.5 hours and do want my coffee:tantrum: Here's to ya...and to an active life again:cheers:
 
Thinking of you, smart2run and :angel: wishing you all the very best with your surgery! I'll be looking for you on the other side. Oh and very good idea to get new shoes! It's the best way to start getting back to a normal gait (though for a few weeks you may just be wandering around the house in socks or slippers). :cheers:
 
Hi,

I had both hips done 2 weeks ago. No regrets and no pain. You can do it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom