MUA bs27's TKR Recovery

2nd MUA was 10/16/2020. More detail since this is an unusual event. I have not been typical TKR rehabber from the start. My knee just seemed to be an adhesion manufacturer. Gaining flexion stopped and started going backwards - that was semi-forced flexion (using my other leg to nudge it a bit, etc.). The first MUA helped considerably but afterwards, any gains I'd make in flexion would be gone 30 minutes later. Every day was starting over again. My knee kept getting tighter & tighter, lumps appearing & big increase in swelling. Above my knee felt wrapped in concrete. I could only bend roughly 86/87 degrees under my own muscle strength at 4 months. I had a CT that indicated areas indicative of 'scarring'.

The second MUA seemed to go fine, according to the surgeon, definitely adhesions were broken though none seemed unusually tough to break. But the extreme pain moving my leg began immediately upon waking up. X-Rays confirmed the break - actually two cracks rather than complete breaks, both towards the top of the tibia (under the bruise) - on each side of the knee replacement piece that went into the tibia. CT did not show any other damage. Now I am in a full, removable leg brace (but don't remove it unless showering - haven't tried that yet) ... and have to stay non-weight bearing for a minimum of 6 weeks to not worsen the breaks - could be longer since my bones are not exactly young now.

When in bed or the recliner with the leg on a good pillow, I can undo the brace straps & use ice packs on the shin or just get relief from the brace itself hitting my already painful lower leg. The surgeon says the bone should heal ok, the replacement should not be compromised - and we'll deal with the new knee stiffness when the bone healing is complete. I hope this does not happen to anyone else. Even with this happening, I still think the benefit from an MUA (when really necessary) greatly exceeds the risk. Hopping with the walker & leg braced up is exhausting but when this initial pain subsides, waiting for the healing to finish won't be nearly as bad.
 
Thanks - No one on the arthrofibrosis specialist list is in my state or close but I am located near two major university/med schools and their highly respected medical facilities. I'll read up on arthrofibrosis and be better informed when the healing process is finished and next step decisions need to be made.
 
And so my crazy TKR adventure ends, not with a bang but with a whimper. I had several unusual events following my TKR but at least now, most is making sense and that is better than remaining a mystery. I'll abbreviate my adventure but realize that all this is not typical for 'normal' patients/rehabbers.

Before the TKR in June 2020, I was having some trouble with my toes that was attributed to a flare-up of Morton's neuroma that had been going on for several years in both feet but was very manageable. So I had the TKR - and recall asking for ice packs for my feet as often as ice for my knee.

Knee rehab was tough from the beginning in gaining ROM and I was also having to avoid exercises like toe raises.

I had an MUA after 2 months. It helped & I gained more flexion initially - then started losing it rapidly. 2nd MUA 2 months after the first one. This MUA broke my tibia in two places - complete breaks on each side of the tibial component were shown in a CT after looking like just cracks on the x-ray. A bone density test showed osteopenia but not osteoporosis.

Two weeks after the fractures and non-weight bearing in a big brace, my feet went completely nuts .... painful, could not tolerate any touch the bottom of the feet but had no sensation on top, lower leg & feet varied from very cold to very hot, could not move toes on the bright red feet.

Primary care physician sent me promptly to a neurologist and from there to their pain clinic. I was diagnosed with CRPS and was given a series of diagnostic anesthetic nerve blocks. I responded well to the sympathetic nerve blocks - after the second on the worst side (the tkr side), the color & temperature of that foot improved significantly and toes started moving a bit.

The injections continue and I'm also going to PT for my feet and still seeing improvement. This is not helping my stiff knee, though. I now realize that it was CRPS
 
Last edited by a moderator:
oops, sent prematurely!

I now realize that it was CRPS in a mild form that I started experiencing months before the TKR and not a Morton's neuroma flare-up - then it worsened after the surgery and again after the fractures. I don't think CRPS could have been diagnosed any sooner than it was.

The knee ROM is generally in the low 70's, low 60's after walking more than in the house but can get up to low 90's after going through my exercise routine .... but as it has been all along, improvement doesn't last longer than an hour. So, this is the way it will be.

I'm a proven, prolific generator of adhesions that does not have the strongest bones and now has the neurological problem of CRPS. The surgeon will not do anything else to the knee as there's a high probability of worsening my situation - mainly because of the crps. He doesn't see that any surgeon would want to take a chance with this as long as I can get around. So, I'm lucky that I can walk and only experience discomfort rather than pain.

My goal now is to maintain the ROM I have and know that will take significant effort. Sorry, guess this has not been an abbreviated dissertation after all. I am happy for all those that had successful TKR's - ultimately, my problems were with my own body quirks rather than any faults with procedures. Maybe I'll make it into Ripley's some day!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank God you have found a solution for your poor feet. Your knee is only 6 months old and can do a lot more healing in the next year or more.
 
bs27,
Glad you finally received a diagnosis and are getting the help you need for CRPS.
You may be interested in these sites for chronic pain. The Curable app (free trial) and the Pain Reframed Podcasts (available on iTunes).
 
Thank you for pointing me toward more useful information & I'll check it out. And you were correct, Pumpkin, back in October .... arthrofibrosis is my the diagnosis of my stiff knee. Being in leg brace jail for 9 weeks didn't do it any favors, either!
 
Let me know what you think of the sites.
All the best as you move forward.
 
@bs27: I messaged you on MY thread... I have great info on a PT in our area....and would like to know who you see at Ral Neuro.
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom