Guest viewing is limited

THR Broncobusted's Recovery

Hi Broncobusted,
I hope you were able to get a prescription refill early today and the pain is more manageable.
Wishing you a good nights sleep tonight.
@Broncobusted
 
Good morning. Day 7
Yes I was able to get ahold of surgeons assistant and they changed me to a diffrent pain med. It actually helped me sleep a little better last night. And PT starts on day 19 for me had some scheduling issues. I'm trying to find things I could be doing in my own until it starts. Although I've read allot of the advise about not pushing to hard so maybe this was a small blessing. Thank you
 
I would walk several times a day in small intervals. My doctor told me to do 3 ten minute walks rather than one 30 minute walk & then be hurting.
Made sense.
Happy you were able to prescription & had decent sleep.
 
Glad you have the pain under control finally!

PT starts on day 19 for me had some scheduling issues. I'm trying to find things I could be doing in my own until it starts.
Hips do NOT need physical therapy. The very best way to rehab after a hip replacement is walking -- and even then, not to excess.

Since you are only 1 week post-op, you should be focusing on icing, elevating and allowing your body to heal from the surgical trauma. It is important to get up and walk around the house a little every couple of hours to prevent blood clots, but other than that, it's much too soon to be doing exercise.

My surgeon warned me not to try to do too much too soon; he said people who do that are usually the ones who end up unhappy with their outcomes.

I did no PT for my THR recovery; I just walked -- and I didn't even start doing that until I was three weeks post-op.

Give your body the time it needs to heal. There will be plenty of time for rehab later.
 
Day 9. Post op woke up at 0300 by pain on schedule these days. Posting in middle of the night as had become my norm. I am thinking about calling to go in and see surgeon as this level of discomfort and pain seems unreasonable. Or is it ?. I feel like the constant pain is taking over my thought process. Is Any if this normal ? Lack of sleep and constant pain make jack a dull boy. .
 
Hi @Broncobusted

I think it is completely normal as I am day 10 post op today and still need panadol and ibuprofen every 4 to 6 hours and actually just took x2 oxycodone.

Do you have pain and swelling around the incision site?

Morgan
 
Hi @Broncobusted

I am still taking Tramadol SR at 9am in the morning and 9pm in the evening. This takes me through the night with very little pain. I am also taking Celebrex twice a day. Panadol does nothing for me so I don't take it. I think the slow release would be the best way to have a comfortable night.
 
Day 9. Post op woke up at 0300 by pain on schedule these days. Posting in middle of the night as had become my norm. I am thinking about calling to go in and see surgeon as this level of discomfort and pain seems unreasonable. Or is it ?. I feel like the constant pain is taking over my thought process. Is Any if this normal ? Lack of sleep and constant pain make jack a dull boy. .
Oh, you are not alone. I think nights are the worst because of the tiredness and just wanting to top up energy reserves. Day 23 and I am woken every two hours or so by my 'newborn' hip wanting me to move and give it some attention. I usually reach for painkillers around 3 a.m..

If you are having a lot of pain day and night, don't suffer but talk to your doctor and get some effective pain relief. One thing the hospital staff said to me as I left was that I should NOT be in a lot of pain but to take medication regularly. If your body is concentrating on the pain it is distracted from healing.
 
Post op woke up at 0300 by pain on schedule these days
Are you taking your pain medications on a regular schedule, or waiting until pain wakes you up to take them? If it's the latter, you might find that setting an alarm so you take those nighttime pills on schedule will prevent that 3 a.m. wake-up.

BoneSmart recommends staying ahead of the pain by taking medications on a regular schedule so the drugs are at a constant level. If you wait until you are in pain, your body needs to "catch up" and that up and down can actually interfere with your recovery. Take a look at this article about the importance of good pain management to recovery: Pain management and the pain chart
 
Thank you all for your replies. I am taking hydros on schedule. Swelling seems ok I'm icing allot as is suggested. I am just glad to hear my experience sounds normal. I think at 3am waking up in pain after just a few hours of sleep just messes with your mind. I think the sleep deprivation is just the worst. Thank you all I hope everyone feels better soon. ☺️
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
How have you been since we last heard from you? I hope you're pleased with your progress.
Let us know when you have the time, we'd like to hear from you.
Wishing you a pleasant weekend! :)
@Broncobusted
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom