Guest viewing is limited

TKR Bring it on!!!

Home is the very best place to recover! We realize that the moment we settle into our own bed or chair and know we can do this.
 
I think that 90 degree is a standard to satisfy documentation. When I was in the hospital,after PT walked me, sat me on the bedside, push my leg a bit( didn’t hurt), said you look like 90. They would of discharge me at any ROM.
 
My ROM was never measured in the hospital post surgery. The only thing the PT had me do was walk. The nurses were fabulous and even the food was delicious! I was blessed and I am thankful.
 
Just dropping something off for you. :flwrysmile:
 
One week Post Op Update.

This time last week I was in theatre, seems ages ago. I have been recovering at home four days now and think that things are going ok. After the rough time that I had on the last day in hospital with the PT and CPM machine (mentioned in earlier posts) I struggled, particularly the first day, at home because of the extensive swelling and pain.

I am now in control and intend to make his work. I am listening to all the good advice, and doing it, regarding resting, elevating, icing and controlling pain and exercise. The first day I just rested etc all day with absolutely no exercise or walking apart from to toilet or bed. From the second day at home I have done the bed/chair exercises but very lightly. Also the last couple of days I have gradually increased the amount that I am walking about. The swelling has gone down considerably and the bruising is coming through now.

Sleep has not been bad. I have managed about 5-6 hours each night in total with breaks for toilet and medication in that. Also getting a few small naps whilst elivating/icing in daytime. I was also cutting down on the strong medication but had to take an extra one this morning. I will keep an eye on things so that I don't step the exercise etc up too soon.

The staples are due to be taken out in three days and my first visit to the PT is in six days so I will post again after these.

Thanks again and best wishes to all who have gone through or are about to go through TKR.
 
It sounds like you are doing well. Getting those staples out is such a relief! You're getting yours out in a timely manor! I was almost 3 weeks out before I got mine out, and the skin had grown over them. All of them hurt but one! Yours should come out with no pain!
 
Two week PO Update

It's been a steady second week at home. I am still sleeping ok and just waking for meds and toilet once in night and getting about 6 hours sleep. Exercising steadily and trying not to push it or the knee soon tells me if I am doing too much. I have also been walking for ten minutes, three times per day.
Had the staples removed on day 10, there were thirty-eight and can honestly say that I only felt three of them being taken out and they were not too painful. The incision seems to have healed well and the nurse decided to not dress it and that it did not need any SteriStrips or anything putting on it. I was still a bit "wary" when first doing any exercises after the staples were taken out in case the wound opened up but this all was ok.
I still have quite a bit of soreness in the outside/underneath of thigh and the bruising is showing all over my leg now from thigh to toes.
I went back to hospital to see physio on day thirteen and he was very happy with extension (an easy 0) but Bend was only about 72. Did a few stretches etc with him and a few new exercises, including static bike ( just rocking) and we improved this to 78 which he said was better but not as much as he had hoped for. The physio was quite good in that he was encouraging without being overly forceful as he had been the week before in order to get me discharged.
I am to continue with the exercises, including the new ones and my static bike at home. I have to swap one of the daily walks for a five minute bike "stretching" session. I am going back to see him again on day twenty-one.

I will post another update again next week.
 
It sounds as if you're doing well.

Don't let your PT's concern about flexion worry you. 70+ at only 2 weeks is really good.
There's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
Three week PO update

All going really well. Bruising has nearly gone. Pain not excessive. Sleeping really well. I seem to have got the hang of moderating the amount of exercise that I do, although there is still quite a bit of stiffness and swelling. I can comfortably walk with one crutch now and I am even walking around the house without any crutches at all.
I had a bit of a rough day yesterday with shivering and sweating and upset stomach. I think that this may have been a reaction to all the pain meds etc that I have been taking. I cut down on those yesterday and had a rest from the exercises and things have definitely improved today. In fact today I have been for my second PT appointment at hospital and everything was fine. The physio was more than happy with the progress that I have made since last week and now ROM is 0-100. He has said that if if a continue with the exercises at home like I have been doing he does not need to see me till my six week appointment with him and surgeon.
 
That's great!
You're doing really well and you're being sensible about your exercises.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom